Amp, Wires or CD Player: Something's Broken

Mass. Wine Guy

Amp, Wires or CD Player: Something's Broken
« on: 17 Sep 2017, 07:39 pm »
I have a Piano One CD player connected to an older Bel Canto integrated amp. Bi wired Quad bookshelf speakers and Anti Cable cables. I hadn't used the system for a long time and decided to hook it up. But one of three things kept happening.

1) A cd was playing but no sound.
2) Instead of music, there was a consistent electronic clicking sound.
3) Briefly, music came from both speakers. When I then moved the cabinet supporting the gear, silence.

I changed out the digital connectors thinking the Anti Cables were faulty. But nothing changed.

The cd player is fairly old and sometimes acts a little odd.

Any guesses as to what's wrong? Should I just try a different source?

Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Amp, Wires or CD Player: Something's Broken
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2017, 07:48 pm »
3) Briefly, music came from both speakers. When I then moved the cabinet supporting the gear, silence.
By what you said seems the speaker cable is poor contact imo.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2017, 08:05 pm »
Go back to Plane-Jane cables and try again.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2017, 08:40 pm »
Somethin is loose or has intermittent contact. Since it is BOTH channels at the exact same time..
I would say it is a relay in the Bel Canto.
So.. Does the Bel Canto have a startup relay (Which mutes the sound for a few seconds at startup?)
If it DOES have such a relay.. That may be dirty/corroded.

I would turn off the Bel Canto and back on, each time taking a few minutes.. A dozen times.. maybe two dozen.
Trying the get the relay to stop sticking...
If it does not HAVE a relay.. It may also be the powerswitch, or some wire to the power supply/fuse is not making good contact. Wiggling them is OK.

Even the classic "Give it a good bang" with your hand..

On the other hand, both channels at the same time could be the datastream from the CD transport to the internal DAC.. Loose wires. The main place for such wires is the ribbon connector from the transport tray to the circuit board.
Open the top of the CD player, and wiggle the ribbon (LIGHTLY VERY LIGHTLY) from the spinner to the circuit board. Does it make any difference while playing a CD?