Herbie's VS. the others

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Herbie's VS. the others
« on: 19 Jun 2015, 05:13 pm »
Steve,
As you may know, I use your products on every part of my system.  However, I've read a lot about the other items that are much more expensive being "better".  Is there any difference from the Stillpoints, Nordost or BDR that would be better than the Tenderfeet or ISO Cups/Balls for amps, dacs and pre amps? 

Any info you can share would be great. 

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Herbie's VS. the others
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2015, 05:28 pm »
With audio isolation and micro-vibration control, more expensive has no direct relation to being "better" or worse. In most cases, more expensive products will do no better and most often not as well as Tenderfoot isolation feet or IsoBalls. Especially with DACs. A more comprehensive answer can be found here:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/sqfaq.htm

Of course, every audio system is unique, with unique vibrational parameters, with different component synergies involved and individual personal taste and preferences, so comparative differences between products will vary. Herbie's Audio Lab products strive to bring out the best inherent potential of the components and most faithful rendering of the originally recorded event by reducing or eliminating the effects of micro-vibration and microphonics without attempting to "tune" or color the system this way or that. With this sonically neutral approach, the products tend to have very little system dependency, performing extremely well with almost all components and audio systems.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2015, 01:04 pm »
Thanks Steve. 
One more question.  Is there any advantage of using the Iso-Cup on Dac's instead of the Tenderfeet I'm using? 

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2015, 03:03 pm »
With most DACs, no; Tenderfoot isolation feet will have the advantage.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2015, 03:08 pm »
With most DACs, no; Tenderfoot isolation feet will have the advantage.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
OK, then I will leave it all alone.   :thumb:

jamesg11

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2015, 05:47 am »
Yep, Jason, I'm using Tenderfeet under my Mytek - no way I'd afford say the Stillpoints: that is money for a serious dac upgrade! Which I know I deserve ... soon ...

hifiman5

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2015, 10:57 pm »
Been there with sorbothane, BDR products and others...no of them are as musically satisfying as Herbies!  I hope Steve is making a decent living out of this as he certainly deserves to.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:16 am »
Been there with sorbothane, BDR products and others...no of them are as musically satisfying as Herbies!  I hope Steve is making a decent living out of this as he certainly deserves to.

Agreed!!  I've also used BDR cones, AudioPoints, BBC cones, Edensound cones and Tip Toes.  All have been removed in favor of Herbies footers.  You'll also find that HAL-O JR.s on your interconnects will do wonders.  Warning, the improvements you will hear can be addictive.

bacobits1

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2015, 12:14 pm »
Been there too. Steve's been around for a while now and is great to deal with.
His stuff works and I have been using his products a long time.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2015, 03:51 pm »
Steve,

I own a Joule Electra MK11SE which is a wonderful preamp. While the PCB is isolated inside by a floating type mount with damping it is very sensitive to vibration. If I touch my finger on it you can hear the sound thru my speakers, If I tap it, it sounds like a thud and I think the tubes are vibrating inside.

I thought about tube dampers which seems like the best approach but I'm also wondering about some type of footers, I haven't tried anything. I'm pretty sure because of the sensitive nature of the pre it is effected my vibrations while I'm playing music.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

greg

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2015, 04:02 pm »
Hi, Greg. Four Tenderfoot isolation feet underneath and damping instruments on the tubes would surely be beneficial, though getting a microphonic reaction by tapping on the circuit board or any part of the component is not necessarily indicative of any extraordinary problem or anything. Tubes, capacitors, and other sensitive electronics will naturally have a tendency to react to tapping, which on a micro-level is like whacking them with a sledge hammer. The preamp certainly is affected by micro-vibrations though, both from the environment and self-generated; better isolation of the component and tubes will bring out more of the preamp's best musical potential.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2015, 06:23 pm »
Hi, Greg. Four Tenderfoot isolation feet underneath and damping instruments on the tubes would surely be beneficial, though getting a microphonic reaction by tapping on the circuit board or any part of the component is not necessarily indicative of any extraordinary problem or anything. Tubes, capacitors, and other sensitive electronics will naturally have a tendency to react to tapping, which on a micro-level is like whacking them with a sledge hammer. The preamp certainly is affected by micro-vibrations though, both from the environment and self-generated; better isolation of the component and tubes will bring out more of the preamp's best musical potential.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Hi Steve,

The damping device floats the entire PCB, not sure what you mean by "damping instruments on the tubes"? What I meant was by touching or tapping on the metal housing of the pre it makes these noises. I don't think I can alter the PCB damping structure that was made  for the board. It sort of floats in the air presumably to isolate it from vibration but doesn't seem to do enough.

Thanks

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2015, 06:33 pm »
"Damping instruments on the tubes" means the same thing as putting a tube damper on each tube. (damping instrument = tube damper).

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

jriggy

« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2015, 06:53 pm »
gregfisk,

Sounds like you have a microphonic tube at play... Herbie's products will certainly help but might want to swap out tubes as well and see if you can tame part of your issue that way, too.