Stands on carpet floor

mcallister

Stands on carpet floor
« on: 16 May 2015, 10:39 pm »
I just had custom stands made that are very large for my Danley SH-100B speakers. I filled one of the stands with 3-40 lb bags of sand. When trying to position the stand (wihout speaker yet) it tore one of the spikes out of my new stands.

I no longer want to even use the spikes with fear of further damaging the stands. Would big fat dots work for decoupling from the floor? Or a different product? Or are spikes my only option?

Photon46

Re: Stands on carpet floor
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2015, 11:58 pm »
I feel your pain. Perhaps the problem was way you were attempting to install the speakers and stands? I always found it easiest to find where the optimal position for the speaker system was before installing the spikes or footers. After establishing that, then I'd lift the stand or speaker up on 2x4's so I could access the spike/footer mounting holes and then install those last. Moving heavy speakers and stands around with spikes installed is really difficult to do without damaging something. Are the spikes mounted in a threaded metal insert? However they are mounted, I doubt it would be a major effort to repair the mounting.

mcallister

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2015, 12:13 am »
Yep, figured that out the hard way. Never thought of the 2x4 trick. There is a metal insert for the spikes. I'm able to re-insert the metal insert (that sounds weird) and it should be fine. I'm just sick about damaging the actual stand.

The stands were built by Tyler acoustics so weren't cheap.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2015, 06:14 am »
Big Fat Dots are great for isolation/decoupling but are usually best on a bare floor. For carpeted floor, Giant Fat Gliders are the best solution. You should get a sonically better result than using spikes with the convenience of easier mobility when needed.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2015, 11:22 am »
You can probably repair the metal threaded insert pretty easily. If you reuse the same mounting hole, I'd fill the recesses where the insert's tangs were installed with a thick repair epoxy paste like PC-7. If you're concerned about any possibility the epoxy will get in the insert, you can make sure the threads stay clean & clear. Take a short length of 1/4" x 20 threaded rod, coat the threads with vaseline and leave that in the insert while the repair cures. Good Luck! Those Danley's look like a beast of speaker to move around!

mcallister

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2015, 08:04 pm »
Ordering the gliders today. How long does shipping usually take? I'm ready to get back to some music and movies!

Thanks photon! The Danleys are some monsters for sure. I really like them they handle anything you throw at them with ease and show lots of finesse. If the top octave were just a bit sweeter they would be nearly perfect.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2015, 01:14 am »
Most orders ship within one business day via Priority Mail which is another 2-3 days for delivery.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab