Whittling it Down....

adydula

• Restricted
Whittling it Down....
« on: 7 Feb 2014, 11:04 pm »
Well after several years of trying all sorts of heaphones, amp and dacs I seem to be narrowing it down and selling off most of my stuff....

My awesome LCD2's R2 have come and gone.
My neat Grado 325is I just sold to a fellow in Florida.
MY AKG 702's have flown out the door....
and a few others.....

I have listened to many other cans and most although are very good just didn't seem to worth the cost for what they provided to my ears...and tastes.

Looking for a really neutral headphone and amp and dac was a lot of fun and I found out you don't have to spend a lot of money relatively speaking to get a really nice setup..

I am down to a set of Beyer 1350's, Beyer T90's, AKG Q701's.....

When I want a really neutral accurate sound I pick up the T90s..they always make me smile...
When I want just a bit more of that low end "boom" the DT 1350's fit that bill really well.
There 701's have a wonderfully wide soundstage and are crisp and clean....boarderline "sterile"...

I have tried tube amps, solid state discrete, and not so discrete solid state amps, and several old AVRs. and a few new AVRS and preamp head sections.

I think the 701's will be sold soon....

and that leave me with Beyer cans...I would never guessed that in a million years....especially after having the Audeze.

The best amps I have heard for the money are the O2 Objective Amp, one which I built and one pre-assembled. One I am modifying with a design from
a really talented person over at the DIYAUDIO forum...

The only other amp that I really liked was the VIOELECTRIC V200...awesome build and awesome sound...transparent.

The O2 gives me the same transparency for a whole lot less, even though the overall build and build quality with the VIOELECTRICS is really very very good.

This part of the audio hobby or pastime has been a really neat journey!

I am thinking of building a bottlehead crack even though I have gone down this road before...afterall a guys has to have something
to do.....and that smell of rosin core solder.......LOL

Alex
 :thumb:

Freo-1

Re: Whittling it Down....
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2014, 11:15 pm »
A horses for courses approach.  Works for me.   :thumb:

For home use, I'm hopelessly spoiled.  I go between a Stax SR-404 and 507.   At work, I use either a Sony MDR 7506 or MDR V700.  The 7506 is good for rock/jazz, and the V 700 is good for classical.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2014, 11:56 pm »
Alex: I'm with you...I prefer a very neutral amp that just does it's job and gets out of the way. I haven't heard the O2, but I know it's reputation and the fact that it is known as the epitome of neutral. That's awesome that you've become so fond of the Beyers....those little 1350s are just a joy to listen to. They have been my go-to portables for nearly two years now and I plan to have them in that role for a long time to come.

Always enjoy hearing about your progress in this hobby  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2014, 12:11 am »
I was on the merry go round for many, many years.  Got off when I got the Beyer T1's.  There is no perfect headphone, but for me, the T1's are pretty d@mn close.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2014, 12:14 am »
I would encourage all headphone users to audition a Stax setup.  For example, the SR 404 is usually paired with the SRM 006t2amp, which sports a pair of 6CG7 tubes.  The combination is very neutral, and the combo can be had for a reasonable price. 

Check out this link on why ESL headphones are so good:

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/electrostatic.htm

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2014, 02:17 am »
or try the new Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs.....

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2014, 06:42 am »
T1350-80? They don't make them anymore?

What's the replacement - the T50's?  They sound more or less the same?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2014, 06:51 am »
Heck, I whittled it down, too.
AKG 701/Jolida headphone amp - gone
Beyerdynamics DT880/WooAudio 6 - gone

Cheapie Grados for the laptop - here
Stax Sigmas for real headphones - still here after 31 years!

It was fun trying different headphones but I found what I liked a long time ago so I'm off the merry go round.

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2014, 07:29 am »
I can see why you are keeping the T90, they are just wonderful :rock:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2014, 07:49 am »
I was on the merry go round for many, many years.  Got off when I got the Beyer T1's.  There is no perfect headphone, but for me, the T1's are pretty d@mn close.

I am currently listening to music I really care about through a pair of T1's driven by a Manley 300B Neo-Classic and it does sound pretty damned good as much as I prefer my actual speakers...

D.D.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2014, 09:53 am »
Heck, I whittled it down, too.
AKG 701/Jolida headphone amp - gone
Beyerdynamics DT880/WooAudio 6 - gone

Cheapie Grados for the laptop - here
Stax Sigmas for real headphones - still here after 31 years!

It was fun trying different headphones but I found what I liked a long time ago so I'm off the merry go round.

I have been holding off auditioning Stax cause I was afraid they were gonna ruin me for all my other headphones...well, now that that's actually happened with the Audeze LCD-X, I want to hear the Stax now...people at head-fi are stating that the X gets really close to the same level of audio as Stax phones, and I just can't imagine it getting much better than this. I'm getting the sort of sound that I typically only get from my Magnepan speakers...never expected to ever get close to this level of enjoyment from headphones. If Stax can better this, then it's gonna blow my mind.

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2014, 01:43 pm »
I have been holding off auditioning Stax cause I was afraid they were gonna ruin me for all my other headphones...well, now that that's actually happened with the Audeze LCD-X, I want to hear the Stax now...people at head-fi are stating that the X gets really close to the same level of audio as Stax phones, and I just can't imagine it getting much better than this. I'm getting the sort of sound that I typically only get from my Magnepan speakers...never expected to ever get close to this level of enjoyment from headphones. If Stax can better this, then it's gonna blow my mind.

You really owe it to yourself to try Stax headphones.  I've tried a lot of headphones over the years, and nothing really compares to them.  The Stax head amps are excellent, and dead quiet.  NOS RCA 6CG7's really step it up a notch.  The only down side is it's cost prohibitive to have them at work, but for home, they truly stand out.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2014, 03:53 pm »
You really owe it to yourself to try Stax headphones.  I've tried a lot of headphones over the years, and nothing really compares to them.  The Stax head amps are excellent, and dead quiet.  NOS RCA 6CG7's really step it up a notch.  The only down side is it's cost prohibitive to have them at work, but for home, they truly stand out.

I'm much more open to the idea now, so I'll definitely give a listen at first opportunity.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2014, 04:21 pm »
I'll tell you a secret, my ancient Stax headphones sound better than my Magepans and only cost me around $700 a gazillion years ago.
I'm just using one of their cheap adaptors that I have hooked up to a donated NAD integrated. 
If I ever unload the "big stereo" and downsize my life I won't be suffering too badly.

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2014, 04:38 pm »
I'll tell you a secret, my ancient Stax headphones sound better than my Magepans and only cost me around $700 a gazillion years ago.
I'm just using one of their cheap adaptors that I have hooked up to a donated NAD integrated. 
If I ever unload the "big stereo" and downsize my life I won't be suffering too badly.

I can relate.  My "A" headphone system consists of a SR 507 and SRM-007 t2 (with NOS RCA 6CG7's) hooked to a Modwright Oppo tube BDP-95.  My second setup uses a SR 404 with SRM-006 t2 (with RCA 6CG7's) connected to a Yamaha CD-S2000, along with a Oppo BDP 105.  Both of these provide intensely outstanding reproduction, and clarity that is second to none.  Got everything second hand for very good prices. 

toocool4

« Reply #15 on: 8 Feb 2014, 07:48 pm »

They won’t ruin it for you, they will just show you what is possible.

Try any Stax, all the ones I have tried are fantastic.  I use to have one years ago.

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 8 Feb 2014, 09:37 pm »
Interesting... in the "Ask the Magnepan Factory" thread, I asked if they had ever considered going into the headphone market, seeing as they know as much as anybody about planar drivers. The response was that they had never heard a set of headphones that sounded as good as their speakers and didn't think it was possible.

Hope the Sennheiser planar rumors are true  :icon_twisted:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2014, 09:57 pm »
Shoot, Jim Winey spent years dabbling in headphone design but nothing ever made it into production.
The big (and obvious) advantage with headphones is you take the room out of the equation.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2014, 10:59 pm »
Interesting... in the "Ask the Magnepan Factory" thread, I asked if they had ever considered going into the headphone market, seeing as they know as much as anybody about planar drivers. The response was that they had never heard a set of headphones that sounded as good as their speakers and didn't think it was possible.

Hope the Sennheiser planar rumors are true  :icon_twisted:

What a stupid idea.  In some ways headphones are better than speakers could ever hope to be.  In other ways, speakers are better than headphones.  For example, you will never get more clarity than with a high resolution, crossoverless driver one inch from your ear and no room effects.

On the other hand, no headphone will create a lifelike space and realistic bass like speakers can. 

Plus, what good are the best speakers in the world when it's late at night and the rest of your family is sleeping?

santacore

« Reply #19 on: 9 Feb 2014, 03:26 am »
Plus, what good are the best speakers in the world when it's late at night and the rest of your family is sleeping?

Bingo! That is why I have invested heavily into a great headphone setup. The headphone rig gets played way more then the speaker rig.