Oldest piece of audio gear you currently use

JWJ356

• That's not an issue, that's a problem.
Re: Oldest piece of audio gear you currently use
« Reply #40 on: 2 Nov 2010, 04:57 am »
The WikiPedia article about RIAA suggests post 1954 but is fuzzy about the actual date.

John
...and last but not least, my dedicated 78 system. The tweed amp is a Stromberg Carlson 420 (1952ish) which drives an Altec 824 Iconic (1954) and the table is a Dual 1019 (1965).

[/quote]

Delta Wave

« Reply #41 on: 2 Nov 2010, 11:20 am »
Nice Delta Wave But the walls should be orange   :lol:

They're just not ripe yet.  :green:

Minn Mark

« Reply #42 on: 2 Nov 2010, 12:50 pm »
Sorry no pics, but I recently assembled a "vintage system" consisting of:
Marantz 2250b (blackface ca 1977)
Marantz 5220 cassette (1970's)
Technics SL-D3 DD TT (1978) with Shure V15 IV and original AVA Longhorn.
Advent baby (ver I)

I also have hanging around:
ESS PS-8 loudspeakers
1993 SOTA Comet
SAE 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction Unit
TEAC Z-6000 cassette deck (B,C,dbx)
Hafler DH-200 (kit built all original
Halter FM tuner (another kit project)
SAE 2900 pre-amp

and a Zenith Trans-Oceanic SW radio with original tubes, that still works pretty good.

Cheers,

Mark

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #43 on: 2 Nov 2010, 01:33 pm »

Marantz 2270 that I got from the original owner who bought it new in 1974.

B&O Beogram 4002 that I got from the original owner who bought it new in 1976.

Scott F.

« Reply #44 on: 2 Nov 2010, 01:53 pm »
The WikiPedia article about RIAA suggests post 1954 but is fuzzy about the actual date.

John

John,

Yep, I'm not quite sure about the date on that old Stromberg. There isn't a lot of info about that model on the web. I found a page on the 420 at the Radio Museum. The amp shown has a slightly different faceplate than the pair I have (I've got a metallic green one and the tweed). The page says 1950(?), but I'm guessing mine is a bit newer. I could be wrong though. All I know is it makes a great amp to play 78s. They just come alive  :thumb:

Radio Museum

Mitsuman (Craig),

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :green:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #45 on: 2 Nov 2010, 02:13 pm »
John,

Yep, I'm not quite sure about the date on that old Stromberg. There isn't a lot of info about that model on the web. I found a page on the 420 at the Radio Museum. The amp shown has a slightly different faceplate than the pair I have (I've got a metallic green one and the tweed). The page says 1950(?), but I'm guessing mine is a bit newer. I could be wrong though. All I know is it makes a great amp to play 78s. They just come alive  :thumb:

Radio Museum

Mitsuman (Craig),

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :green:

Don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful.  :lol:

lcrim

« Reply #46 on: 2 Nov 2010, 06:37 pm »
My turntables, of course:
Dual CS 5000 w/ Goldring Eroica LX cartridge, sitting on my Jolida JD-9 phono section

KAB modded Technics 1200 MKII, Benz Micro Ruby 3H cartridge

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #47 on: 2 Nov 2010, 07:26 pm »

Marantz 2270 that I got from the original owner who bought it new in 1974.

B&O Beogram 4002 that I got from the original owner who bought it new in 1976.

That Marantz receiver was part of my very 1st system  after coming home from Vietnam. It was sweet sounding when paired with a set of Acoustic Research AR-3a's. Thanks for bringing back pleasent memories of my 1st system.  :notworthy:

Cheers,
Robin

BrysTony

« Reply #48 on: 3 Nov 2010, 02:52 am »
Dual 1229 Turntable from 1972 and a Sony ST-S555ES FM Tuner from 1984.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #49 on: 3 Nov 2010, 04:39 am »
A first generation Koetsu Black; a Micro Seiki BL 91 TT; a Marcof MC battery powered step up; a Counterpoint SA5 preamp.
I misread the heading of this topic, just now figuered that out, sorry.  What I posted was stuff I have, rather than in use.

turkey

« Reply #50 on: 3 Nov 2010, 02:52 pm »

That Marantz receiver was part of my very 1st system  after coming home from Vietnam. It was sweet sounding when paired with a set of Acoustic Research AR-3a's. Thanks for bringing back pleasent memories of my 1st system.  :notworthy:

I always got a kick out of the Marantz ads where there had been some kind of disaster and most everything was destroyed - except for the Marantz receiver that still worked. :)

turkey

« Reply #51 on: 3 Nov 2010, 03:28 pm »
I misread the heading of this topic, just now figuered that out, sorry.  What I posted was stuff I have, rather than in use.

That's why I hadn't posted to this thread. While I have a lot of old gear, I no longer use it regularly.

I did try an old Jensen's Stereo Shop SuperPAS the other day, but I quickly switched back to a modern preamp.

I also played around with my Carver Sonic Hologram Generator (C-9) a few months back, but it really doesn't work any better than the other times I've tried it over the past 30 years since I first got it.

It's interesting in that the initial impression everybody has to the C-9 is "that's pretty cool!" Then over a period of time they get tired of the effect it produces and it's time for it to sleep in the basement again. I must have loaned it out to a dozen different people, and none of them decided to buy it, so it always came back to me.

I think it would be neat to have something like a Pioneer Spec 1 and a Spec 4, but I wouldn't trade my modern Sony tuner and CD player for anything vintage, nor would I trade for vintage speakers.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #52 on: 3 Nov 2010, 03:37 pm »
That's why I hadn't posted to this thread. While I have a lot of old gear, I no longer use it regularly.

I did try an old Jensen's Stereo Shop SuperPAS the other day, but I quickly switched back to a modern preamp.

I also played around with my Carver Sonic Hologram Generator (C-9) a few months back, but it really doesn't work any better than the other times I've tried it over the past 30 years since I first got it.

It's interesting in that the initial impression everybody has to the C-9 is "that's pretty cool!" Then over a period of time they get tired of the effect it produces and it's time for it to sleep in the basement again. I must have loaned it out to a dozen different people, and none of them decided to buy it, so it always came back to me.

I think it would be neat to have something like a Pioneer Spec 1 and a Spec 4, but I wouldn't trade my modern Sony tuner and CD player for anything vintage, nor would I trade for vintage speakers.

Thanks for sharing.  :wink:

SET Man

« Reply #53 on: 3 Nov 2010, 07:28 pm »
Hey!

Is audio gear currently use occasionally count here?  :scratch: If so than here are my two oldest audio gears I have...

1902 Victor Talking Machine Co. "Type E" gramophone machine...

1935 or maybe 1937 Philco 84B Cathedral Radio...

I do use these two sometime. Mostly while I'm cleaning my room, watering my plants or while waiting for my main system to warm up. The Philco is great for getting news and weather reports on 1010 WIN and 880 CBS radio here in NYC.

Actually I'm listening to the Victor right now. Spinning Strauss' "Blue Danube Waltz" perform by the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra with Leopold Stokowski as the conductor. Likely recorded in the late 1910's.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #54 on: 3 Nov 2010, 08:26 pm »
Hey!

Is audio gear currently use occasionally count here?  :scratch: If so than here are my two oldest audio gears I have...

1902 Victor Talking Machine Co. "Type E" gramophone machine...

1935 or maybe 1937 Philco 84B Cathedral Radio...

I do use these two sometime. Mostly while I'm cleaning my room, watering my plants or while waiting for my main system to warm up. The Philco is great for getting news and weather reports on 1010 WIN and 880 CBS radio here in NYC.

Actually I'm listening to the Victor right now. Spinning Strauss' "Blue Danube Waltz" perform by the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra with Leopold Stokowski as the conductor. Likely recorded in the late 1910's.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

WINNER!!!!!

decal

« Reply #55 on: 3 Nov 2010, 09:29 pm »
I have a 1983 Luxman C02 preamp in my bedroom system.It works and sounds perfectly fine.

Bemopti123

« Reply #56 on: 3 Nov 2010, 10:18 pm »
Heheheeheh, Buddy, I was fishing for you to "strut" your setup.   :thumb:

But, there must be SOMEONE here who is a collector of ancient, wax cylinder stuff from the late 1800s!

Nevertheless, I think many people overlook one item that is ancient in their audio systems....your turntable cartridge stylus with millions of years of diamond tip!

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #57 on: 3 Nov 2010, 11:10 pm »
While I am not using them, one of my sons has been using a Sansui  AU777/TU777 for awhile.  I picked these up on a med cruise while in the USN in '67.  Have always wondered if mod'g that tuner would be worth it??

ltr317

« Reply #58 on: 3 Nov 2010, 11:30 pm »
Either my 1960s Scott LK-72 integrated amp or modified Magnavox 93 series power amp from the same period.  They are only use occasionally though in the bedroom system.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #59 on: 4 Nov 2010, 01:11 am »
My pair of 1987 Carver Original Amazings....Ser# 758
All origianal boxes and poly liner with supports.
They are absolutely mint....second owner.
I dont use them much....and they are not in the room thats pictured.
But I enjoy them everyday......like works of art.