Emotiva Control Freak - $49 - Need a Volume Knob?

Taterworks

Emotiva Control Freak - $49 - Need a Volume Knob?
« on: 25 Jul 2015, 12:32 pm »
I just picked up a new $49 Control Freak from Emotiva's Pro line, and I felt compelled to write about it, so here you go.

https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

Some would call this a 'passive preamp', but that's technically a misnomer since it can't deliver any gain like a transformer-based passive preamp can, and it's essentially a silky-smooth audio taper potentiometer in an aluminum housing, so I prefer the term "Outboard Attenuator". Still, call it what you like, it's an incredibly handy little device. I first came across the Control Freak at Emotiva's booth at the Summer NAMM show here in Nashville. (Yeah, I know I missed Emofest.) The balanced version of the Control Freak (it comes in Balanced and Unbalanced versions) was connected between a Mac and Emotiva's demonstrator switch-box for the Stealth monitors, and at first I didn't notice it until the gentleman attending the booth pointed to it for me and said, "Crank it up if you want." And I did, and I felt the way it was put together, and thus began my minor obsession with this little gizmo.

For my own use, I bought the Unbalanced version of the Control Freak, and connected it between my Musical Fidelity V-DAC (which doesn't have adjustable output even when connected to a PC via USB -- although you can drag the volume slider, the level doesn't change) and my Dayton Audio APA150 amplifier, which is from the fated first production run where the volume knob used a linear taper instead of an audio/logarithmic taper, so it's extremely touchy. The Control Freak lives on my desk, and thanks to it, I don't have to reach under it to where the APA150 is perched atop my PC tower merely to adjust the volume. (My speakers are Def Tech StudioMonitor 350s.)

You can get a stereo log-taper 50k pot for much less than $49, and you can hack some cables onto it for darn near nothing, so why is the Control Freak such a big deal? First of all, that volume pot is ensconced in machined, bead-blasted, and anodized aluminum, and it looks and feels super-cool (not to mention looking way more legit than a naked volume pot with cables hanging over the side of the desk). It has weight and size - about 2" across and 2" tall. Next, the particular potentiometer Emotiva chose, plus the grip of the 2" aluminum knob, give the Control Freak a feel of effortless ultra-fine adjustment, with a sense of the knob "gliding" to your next setting. I haven't opened up the Control Freak, but I'll bet the pot inside is one of the better ones out there. Absolutely no adjustment noise. The only minor note that I'll make, and this seems to be the case with any stereo volume pot that I've tried, but within about the first 10 degrees of knob rotation, there is some mismatch between the channel levels. That might be a caveat for anyone using the control freak between a source device with super-hot output (like a stereo component CD player) and an amp with super-high gain. You might be able to work around that with a passive in-line resistive attenuator, made up of a 10k resistor on the signal line (not ground) between two RCA plugs. The cables are good-quality, with one larger multi-conductor cable leading from the Control Freak to a small molded break-out box, then proceeding to two RCA input cables (with male connectors) and two RCA output cables (with female connectors). The cables are fairly substantial (about 1/4" for the thicker cable from the Control Freak, and 1/8" for the thinner cables that lead to the RCA connectors), and are all sleeved with woven poly material.

What about insertion effects? None that I could discern. The Control Freak had no negative impact on the sense of detail or balance detail my system offers - in fact, it allowed me to clean up the presentation overall by turning the volume knob on my APA150 (admittedly a few years old, and sits there without adjustment being made for most of that time) to a cleaner and more balanced part of its built-in volume knob's range.

Who is the Control Freak for? I see this being the perfect companion to the inexpensive amplifier boards from Sure Electronics, Yuan-Jing, Ebay, or Parts Express, and anyone who likes to experiment with them. For these folks, the Control Freak might be enough reason to abandon adding volume potentiometers to the assembled mini-amps altogether - just hook up the Control Freak in-line and put the mini-amps out of sight, along with their SMPS power bricks, or hide them behind each speaker. It's also perfect for the application that I'm sure it was designed for - which is to add convenient volume control to powered monitor speakers (which explains the availability of versions of the Control Freak with XLR balanced or RCA unbalanced connectors). I'll be buying at least one more of these before all's said and done.

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2015, 04:08 pm by Taterworks »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Emotiva Control Freak - $49 - Need a Volume Knob?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2015, 02:30 pm »
Thanks for the review.

Does not appear to offer any impedance buffering (like a "real" pre-amp).  I had a passive pre-amp (no gain) years ago that offered to RCA stereo inputs, and without impedance buffering the highs were somewhat muted (this is a known problem if the right cabling isn't used).  Attenuators plugged directly into the back of my mono-blocks resolved that issue but were obviously inconvenient.

So, any loss of highs?

And, does it have stepped detents?

Taterworks

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2015, 03:29 pm »
Thanks for the review.

Does not appear to offer any impedance buffering (like a "real" pre-amp).  I had a passive pre-amp (no gain) years ago that offered to RCA stereo inputs, and without impedance buffering the highs were somewhat muted (this is a known problem if the right cabling isn't used).  Attenuators plugged directly into the back of my mono-blocks resolved that issue but were obviously inconvenient.

So, any loss of highs?

And, does it have stepped detents?

Loss of highs? None that I can discern. Caveat: That's in my system, with solid-state components, a source component with a pretty stiff output (the V-DAC has what I'd consider a "good" analog output section), and an amp that doesn't seem to present a difficult load to the source component; it is likely itself internally buffered. One more note about my setup - there is an inexpensive 1/2-meter Audioquest Golden Gate stereo RCA interconnect between the output of the Control Freak and the input of my amp.

Detents? Nope. Just a potentiometer.

KR500

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2015, 12:24 pm »
Nice review, thanks for posting your experience with the piece
I just put a stereo pot from PE in a plastic Radio shack case for my Sure amp boards. I got my RCA chassis jacks from the on line Auction place. The ones I got from PE were not that great
I'm looking at making something better , maybe an attenuator from Glassware in an aluminum case

fredgarvin

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2015, 03:27 pm »
I wonder if anyone has tried the Schitt passive volume control with two inputs and a switch. it's also $49. Both it and the Emotiva could be nice in certain applications.

http://schiit.com/products/sys

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2015, 04:31 pm »
A remote version of this would no doubt sell well.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2015, 05:50 pm »
A remote version of this would no doubt sell well.

Even though the SYS is fairly simple with a pot, a switch and 6 jacks, it's still quite remarkable that they can sell this USA made component for $49, even Internet Direct.

Unfortunately, Schiit doesn't really seem to be into remote controls.  Even their $1699 Ragnarok integrated amplifier is remote-less.  I guess most of the stuff is intended for "desktop" use.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2015, 12:39 am »
The Emotiva is from their "professional" gear, so is primarily intended for desktop use.  Their active monitors, like the vast majority, don't have front mounted volume controls.  I use quotes on "professional" because I own their professional DC-1 DAC/pre and it includes 1/8 inch headphone jacks (a low priority for me, but would be totally out of place in a truly professional setting).  But note that the DC-1 has a full featured remote.

Schiit follows the beat of a different drummer (marketing agent) and makes value a high priority.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2015, 12:55 am »
Impressive amount of finishedness for almost no money. However, one cannot expect anything but mediocre sound from either. That's fine, too, but I don't get overly excited by just seeing new boxes.

2 channel man

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2015, 11:26 pm »
So same but different . www.tcelectronic.com/level-pilot/

xr2

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2015, 12:36 am »
I just need one of these with a remote.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2015, 12:49 am »
I just need one of these with a remote.

If it's just remote volume you need (and no knob at all) here's a budget remote volume control for RCA single ended:

MCM Model #50-839 IR Remote Volume Control

Steve

xr2

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2015, 01:54 am »
Thanks!  I'll give that a shot.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2015, 03:30 am »
To anyone that is willing to do DIY project for volume, it would be a pleasure for me give you some plans for a small box that will out perform any of these and even improve performance.

jsamp05

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2015, 02:54 am »
To anyone that is willing to do DIY project for volume, it would be a pleasure for me give you some plans for a small box that will out perform any of these and even improve performance.

I would love to see those plans.  I have a dac/amp combo in need of some volume control.

KR500

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:21 pm »
I am also interested in seeing those plans

thnkx

Davey

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2015, 01:18 pm »

Please post it publicly so all can see.

Dave.

keith_correa

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:48 pm »
I'm willing.

persisting1

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2015, 07:48 pm »

+1