Introducing the Sundog

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Introducing the Sundog
« on: 1 Mar 2013, 05:15 am »
First came the Cirrus, and for over a year I kept looking at the pieces left over from the CNC thinking there has to be something I can make of those.  So when a customer came along wanting something built to the same level as a Cirrus but with a smaller footprint, I re-drew the Cirrus CAD file to have a cabinet in a cabinet.  Those pieces from inside the Cirrus cutouts looked to be just the answer, and a quick 3D render showed that when stacked 14" high, they would yield .3 cu/ft ... which was perfect for a sealed monitor using the 6" AudioTechnology woofer. 

In this image, you can see how the smaller Sundog shape would fit inside a Cirrus.

Like the Cirrus, the Sundog has a stacked ply construction, constrained layer top, and a deep roundover on the front edges.  Instead of the baffle being a separate piece mounted to the cabinet, the Sundog has a permanently attached 1" thick Baltic Ply baffle.  Drivers are also very Cirrus-esque, a custom AudioTechnology 15H woofer and the RAAL 70-20XR. 

When we designed the Joule cabinet, which is a Cirrus upscaled 25%, we also Sundog shapes integrated into the interior.  These larger Sundog pieces when stacked would give us a hair over .4 cu/ft, perfect for a ported version.  Also these larger pieces would make for ideal volume when using a pair of woofers sealed in an 18" cabinet, which is what we use for the Center Channel. 

Here's a couple pictures showing Sundog mains in the smaller sealed cabinets, and the Center Channel in the larger diameter cutouts.

We're very happy with the results!  We managed to make a wonderful sounding small monitor that is versatile enough for any setup.  These can even work on just about any built in bookshelf due to their shallow depth, and the sealed option.  When moved out from the walls they throw a huge, room filling and layered soundstage.  And they go a long way to giving you the same level of refinement and resolution as the Cirrus.  Pair them with a capable sub or subs, and you'll have a world class result that performs far above it's pricepoint. 

Sundog sealed starts at $2595/pair
Sundog ported starts at $2795/pair
Sundog center starts at $1895

Coming soon, a Sundog White version using the 6" Accuton woofer.  It also will be available in sealed or ported versions, and could also be made into a center channel. 

Oh, and btw, the red Sapele pair with the black painted baffle is available for immediate sale.  And we have 3 pair of Sundog cabinets assembled and ready to veneer for your custom build.  No long delivery times!
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2013, 05:30 pm by Vapor Audio »

seadogs1

Re: Introducing the Sundog
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2013, 02:47 pm »
Is there a spec sheet for the Sundog?

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2013, 03:06 pm »

Sundog center starts at $1895/pair

Typo?

Also can you advise F3 points on the different options sealed, ported, center?

bajaed

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2013, 03:40 pm »
Sealed version would work perfect with my built in cabinets. Ryan, what subs do you think would work well with the Sundog? I don't have a sub out on my Rogue Cronus Magnum.
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2013, 06:59 pm by bajaed »

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2013, 05:43 pm »
Is there a spec sheet for the Sundog?

Full specs will be on the website soon, along with measurements.  Anything specifically you're wondering Chuck?

Basically the bass extension is upper 40's for ported, high 60's for sealed.  The Sundog White Accuton version will be very similar with it's ported/sealed extension.  One neat thing about the stacked ply cabinet is it can easily be stacked a bit higher, or a bit shorter.  That's part of the versatility I mentioned earlier.  If you want them to be a bit shorter to fit a built in shelf or for desktop mounted near field listening, no problem.  Or if you want them taller so they have more internal volume, and more bass extension, no problem there either. 

With these, just as with all our builds, you have options.  Any veneer you want, custom stands, changing crossover components, etc.  The first step is contacting me at ryan@vaporsound.com or PM me here, or a phone call. 

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2013, 10:54 pm »
Sealed version would work perfect with my built in cabinets. Ryan, what subs do you think would work well with the Sundog? I don't have a sub out on my Rogue Cronus Magnum.

The main consideration for a sub would be low distortion performance to at least 60Hz, and with decent output capacity since the Sundog has quite a bit of output potential, especially if run with a high pass filter.  It all depends on how loud you intend to listen, of course, but something with at least 110dB output capacity would be my recommendation.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2013, 11:22 pm »

It all depends on budget, doesn't everything  :)  Big budget, go with a pair of Velodyne digital drive subs ... more reasonable budget, I'd say talk to Danny at GR for some of his servo subs or look at the Rythmik servo's.  There's a lot of great sub options on the used market.  Or we could build a pair of subs for you.

But let's say you have $2000 for subs, I'd suggest 2 $1000 subs as opposed to one $2000 (just an example).  Of course there's the benefits to evening out room nodes from multiple subs, but to me the most obvious advantage to multiple subs is they're easier to integrate.  A single sub, unless it's in the center of the room, is going to draw the bass soundstage to the side on which it's located. 

It looks like the Rogue Cronus Magnum has an RCA out - the two RCA outs are labeled fixed and variable, use the variable one for subs.  It's not labeled "sub out", but that's what it would work for in your case. 

bajaed

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2013, 04:41 am »
Thanks Ryan. Something I should have known but didn't.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2013, 05:15 am »
And on a related note, what happens when a sonic boom hits a sundog? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsDEfu8s1Lw

harley52

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:07 pm »
Hi Ryan,

Wondering the differance in the Breeze and the Stiff Breeze. Also would the Aurora give a larger sweetspot area Thank you and hope to get to the show just to hear your speakers and the AVS vr22's.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2013, 05:08 pm »
Just a reminder, we have multiple pair of Sundog cabinets built and ready for veneer.  These could be ready for your choice of veneer, and completed in 8-10 weeks or less.  You can contact me direct at ryan@vaporsound.com for a build quote.

tesseract

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2014, 11:41 pm »
Oh, and btw, the red Sapele pair with the black painted baffle is available for immediate sale.  And we have 3 pair of Sundog cabinets assembled and ready to veneer for your custom build.  No long delivery times!

I'll take them. Been trying to contact Vapor for a while, now...   :dunno:

Gopher

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2014, 02:47 am »
Do you realize that your calling dibs on a pair of speakers that was listed two years ago?   I've gotta imagine that they are long gone...   :D

I'll take them. Been trying to contact Vapor for a while, now...   :dunno:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2014, 03:59 am »
Do you realize that your calling dibs on a pair of speakers that was listed two years ago?   I've gotta imagine that they are long gone...   :D

Nah, they're his actually ... was out of town the last few days, then tonight we're playing phone tag  :)  I never listed the pair I had for sale, they had such a happy home here.  I only offered them to Dennis because he's such a good guy, and knew he'd enjoy them.

tesseract

« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2014, 04:34 am »
Nah, they're his actually ... was out of town the last few days, then tonight we're playing phone tag  :)  I never listed the pair I had for sale, they had such a happy home here.  I only offered them to Dennis because he's such a good guy, and knew he'd enjoy them.

Tag, you're it! It was great talking with you again, Ryan. Looking forward to the Sundogs, I think they will fit in nicely at their new home.

Merry Christmas, all!