Sling TV at 2015 CES-$20 a month

OzarkTom

Sling TV at 2015 CES-$20 a month
« on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:26 am »
Coming soon, you can sign up below. $20 per month and cancel anytime.

http://www.sling.com/?mkwid=sHpDpCU6q|pcrid|54078193457|pkw|sling%20tv|pmt|e|pdv|c&cvosrc=ppc.google.sling%20tv&cvo_crid=54078193457&matchtype=e

Here is a demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy8b0ftimSE

rodge827

Re: Sling TV at 2015 CES-$20 a month
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:37 am »
Just signed up will comment when using it.

Thanks Tom  :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:46 am »
Sling TV probably won the most awards at the 2015 CES show.

https://www.facebook.com/sling

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2015, 02:18 am »
This is actually sponsored by Dish TV.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7491071/dish-sling-tv-ott-internet-tv-announced-ces-2015

There are no contracts involved with Sling TV. No commitments. You can buy it for a month and cancel the next if you're not sold on the idea. And since it's a true, over-the-top internet TV service, you can watch and take it anywhere. This really is TV everywhere; watch it on a Roku box in your living room, and then carry live TV with you outside the house on Android and iOS devices. You can also stream it on your PC or Mac with a web browser. Here's the initial list of exactly where you can tune into Sling TV:

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV Stick
Google Nexus Player
LG Smart TVs
Mac / OS X
Roku set-top boxes
Roku Streaming Stick
Roku TV
Windows PC
Xbox One

persisting1

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2015, 08:54 pm »
Here's a preview of the Sling TV. Of course there are pros and cons, but I think I will be getting this for my parents.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/26/sling-tv-preview/

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:29 pm »
Too expensive for the content provided IMO.  Seems inline with traditional cable pricing just a lot less channels, hence a lower bill.   A step in the right direction perhaps, but too small of a step IMO.

persisting1

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:44 pm »
Too expensive for the content provided IMO.  Seems inline with traditional cable pricing just a lot less channels, hence a lower bill.   A step in the right direction perhaps, but too small of a step IMO.

I agree. If someone wants ESPN and doesn't want to deal with cable/satellite, this is your best bet. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2015, 02:23 am »
Posted on their facebook page today.

It's been a long night but we are ALMOST THERE.

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:16 am »
And today's facebook post is:

Hey guys, wanted to give you the latest. Invites to new customers have started to go out, slowly but surely. Thanks for your patience.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:42 am »
"You can construct a package that meets your needs rather than the traditional pay TV bundle of big, bigger, biggest," Lynch said. Today, Dish is announcing two of those premium packs: Kids and News. Each will tack $5 more onto the monthly $20 price — and did we mention you'll still be dealing with commercials? Apparently that's one aspect of traditional pay TV that Dish isn't comfortable ditching yet.

OzarkTom

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2015, 02:19 am »
I got my email yesterday, now signed up. I am watching the  Florida-Kentucky game at a roestaurant on my IPad. :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2015, 01:55 am »

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2015, 06:07 am »
I could care less about sports so it's interesting to note which demographic they are banking on with their channel options. If they could just aded a dedicated 'Home Improvement/Travel' package with Turner Classic Movies, then I'm in.

asliarun

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2015, 02:58 pm »
I've been watching Sling for several days now on Roku (and finally cut the cord). I have to say that it does give me the cable fix - at least what I need. Travel, Food, Home Buying, Home Reno - a bit junky - but I used to mostly watch these on cable as well. Besides other reality shows based on Alaska, Moonshining, etc. that I used to watch and now wish Sling would play them as well  :oops:  :roll:

The quality is really good, and it almost works like a DVR, i.e. one can pause (but not really record, but I think it allows us to watch older shows as late as 48hrs ago on demand).

I've actually been using Dish World on Roku for foreign language content, and Sling is copied from Dish World. In fact, when I launched Sling, it actually first logged me in with my existing Dish World account (and I had to reset my Sling password, logout from Sling, and log in with my Sling account).

Not sure if I need this junky fix for $20 a month. Interestingly, even though I watch a fair bit of sports, I haven't really bothered watching ESPN or ESPN3. But maybe it is just me.

I also have Mohu Leaf antenna with ChannelMaster+ DVR for OTA channels, but it has been a bit flaky. When watching a recording (Elementary), quite often, there will be bad patches. Maybe it is the bad weather in Chicago - I don't know. But I do wish that Sling could have added these OTA channels - to me, that would have made their offering even more compelling.

As far as the money itself is concerned, I'm happy about one thing. At least they don't do the bundling thing that Comcast used to do - and at least I am on control of what I am watching and how much I am paying. But still - I think this is worth $10 not $20 - as it stands. Also because most of this content is available on Hulu or Netflix anyway, to which I already subscribe. It's not like I really need to watch "breaking news" about Bizarre Foods in Madagascar.