Sharing your LIO experience

cmvinyl22

Re: Sharing your LIO experience
« Reply #40 on: 4 Apr 2016, 01:35 am »
I have been enjoying my LIO for about a month now.  Configured as an integrated amp with MOSFET and RVC.  This is my city apartment system where I use a NAS for my digital content and Tidal with an Auralic Aires for streaming.  I use a Unico CD Primo as an external DAC vis USB.  My speakers are Thiel CS1- yes I have owned them and moved from apartment to apartment since 1986. I highly value low level detail given this is my city system and the LIO is the best I have experienced in this category.  Listening to Sibelius' Symphony no. 5 right now and I hear all the detail without losing any dynamics.  Very very happy.  The LIO replaced a Musical Fidelity Integrated amp which had a lot more WPC and was fine but not close to the musicality of the LIO.

sbj23

« Reply #41 on: 5 Apr 2016, 11:12 pm »
Thank you Vinnie for the opportunity to share my experience with the LIO.

I have been very impressed with the LIO.  I was looking for a relatively simple and integrated system for superior stereo music listening in my bedroom, with the capability to drive both speakers and headphones.  The LIO solved these needs and much more!  The MOSFET amp turned out to be plenty powerful enough to power my speakers (Sony NA-5ES bookshelf speakers), so it precluded the need to buy an additional amp.  Additionally, I loved the ability to add only the necessary modules and to upgrade to new modules in the future (I am very interested in the DHT Pre Vinnie has been developing).  And of course having clean power was a major plus.

As many others have already mentioned, Vinnie was extremely helpful throughout the entire process, which became another reason to buy - supporting an independent business and a gentleman who stands behind his product.  Vinnie took the time to answer the many questions I had, always polite and never condescending.  He helped me realize that the DAC module paired with a laptop w/ Audirvana would serve my needs quite well, which meant more savings in not purchasing an additional source.

I have been most impressed with the midrange, in particular hi-res jazz (e.g., Miles Davis) and vocals (e.g., Ella Fitzgerald) sound incredible to me.

ddark65

• Restricted
Re: As passive preamp
« Reply #42 on: 10 Apr 2016, 11:36 pm »
A friend of mine and I recently did a parallel experiment involving a €13'500 R2R DAC with "67-bit FPGA-based digital volume" versus the same DAC in fixed output mode running into Lio as AVC passive preamp (just the Slageformers, no tubes). His speakers are 104dB efficient, mine were 85dB, i.e. a huge difference in how much signal cut/attenuation was required. In his space, adding Lio and one more interconnect was decisively better than running DAC direct. In my setup using 12dB of cut (the DAC maxes out at 1.4V out), digital volume vs. Lio was pretty much a wash but using higher attenuation, Lio was better.

A reasonable conclusion to be drawn from that is that, a/ Lio as autoformer passive is bloody transparent aka invisible and b/ that outside an even very high-resolution digital control's non-lossy window of attenuation, Lio's volume control either is superior per se; or c/ that its drive of longer cables becomes superior to a digital VC as more attenuation is engaged. Hopefully this is useful to some who consider Lio as a purist preamp with comprehensive remote control  :thumb:

I am also trying the lio with my totaldac twelve vs direct , AVC/Tubstage upgrade . My current preamp is very transparent also but has no remote option . 

firedog

Re: As passive preamp
« Reply #43 on: 11 Apr 2016, 07:31 am »
I am also trying the lio with my totaldac twelve vs direct , AVC/Tubstage upgrade . My current preamp is very transparent also but has no remote option .

Do you also have the DAC module in your LIO? I'd be interested in your comparison of the totaldac and the lio as complete DAC/PRE units.

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #44 on: 11 Apr 2016, 10:20 am »
No DAC module just HP module

yardbird4

« Reply #45 on: 14 Apr 2016, 05:59 pm »
My LIO Configuration:

Basically everything except the headphone module and the remote cartridge loading.  I have all the other modules and have the AVC/Tube Stage.  I experimented with a separate AVC but decided the AVC Tube Stage was for me (and that from a person who had never used a tube).  Changing out modules was not difficult but I was deliberate.

I have had my LIO since August 2015.  The LIO of course is the heart of the system with the remainder being a custom built Music Server (based on a Computer Audiophile design), Spendor FL 9 speakers, Underwood modded Denon 2900 Universal Disc Player, and a vingtage Technics Sl-M3 linear tracking turntable with a Ortofon - X1 MCP moving coil cartridge, Cardas Hexlink interconnect, and Audioquest Gibralter speaker cable (holdover).

The LIO replaced (allowed me to sell) a pair of Parasound JC 1 monoblocks; Placette Passive Linestage, Bryston BDA - 1 DAC, 2 Shunyata Power Conditioners, Vincent Audio Phono Stage, 4 Shunyata Python Zitron power cords, 1 Shunyata Anaconda CX Power Cord,  2 Sets of Python Zitron Interconnects and a few less expensive items.  To put it mildly I have been released from upgrade hell.  The sense of relief from not having to buy add on equipment in an effort to get my amplification to perform to its potential is (audiophile) life changing.  I earned about $14,000 from these sales so after purchasing the LIO (before the price increase) I had about $7000 left plus a amplification system that runs circles around the initial system.

When I first purchased the LIO I listened to my music server 95% of the time, and that sound was much more satisfying through the LIO DAC, than the impressive Bryston BDA.  However, the LIO phono stage is equally if not more impressive.  In the last three months the pattern has been reversed - I am listening to my LP collection probably 95% of the time. Nothing more needs to be said.

If I was to try to sum up my LIO experience:  The LIO has gotten my where I want to be .... enjoying my music at the highest level and not wondering whether there is something else out there that can do that for me more convincingly.

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #46 on: 14 Apr 2016, 08:43 pm »
I have been using my Lio I'm guessing close to 2 weeks now , today I put back my original Preamp and to honest I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go . The things I do like about the Lio is it does have a bit better detail and vocals are clearer , I also like the option to add modules if needed . I did get the HP module but my modded Woo Audio WA22 HP amp does out perform this module . I'm not saying the Lio module does a bad job because that's not the case . I was very happy with the lio HP module until today when I went back to the Woo . Again we are talking 5x the cost with mods and tubes . I'm going to listen another week to my old preamp and then switch back to the lio and decide .

I also have some new speakers coming in the next week sensitivity 99db Id love to try the lio module with but I dont know if I would have enough time . My current speakers are around 84db  Joseph Audio Perspectives and require a bit more power .

TomS

« Reply #47 on: 14 Apr 2016, 08:46 pm »
As an early adopter and having posted elsewhere, I suppose now I’m overdue, but here’s my story:

After a move a couple years ago and becoming empty nesters, we’ve gradually been simplifying as much as possible, in a lot of ways. Before the move, my system sounded sublime but was crazy complex to manage with a vinyl and digital setup using multiple power supplies, adapters, many tweaks, special cables, power conditioning, all anchored by Geddes Abbeys with 4 well tuned subs, digital XO, 6 amp channels, plus a room filled with treatments. I packed it all up to sell the house, which proved a wise move, and eventually sold many of the parts.

Determined to go with full range speakers, I was fortunate to find a pair of demo TAD Evolution Ones at a great price and they took up residence in the new room, making me quite happy. I still had a Bent balanced TAP-X, Atsah 1200’s, Auralic Vega/Aries, PI Uberbuss, and my Trans-Fi vinyl setup, so this shaped up to be a very nice system, a bit simpler, so I could have stopped there.

Fast forward to 2014 RMAF when I met Vinnie and first laid eyes on the LIO. So beautifully executed, it appealed to both my sense of order and engineering elegance. I also loved the Supercap idea much better than batteries, which have their own issues. Having sold my Zesto Andros I was using a couple very good DIY phono stages, though not great. I configured a LIO at the entry price, with just the phono and remote loading. It seemed like a reasonable price, even if just a phono stage, so I decided to take the leap. Of course, at a show it’s impossible to assess the sonics, so that would be a gamble, but with a 30 day trial, what’s to lose. This qualified me as an early adopter  :)

The LIO arrived last April and was everything I could have asked for in a phono stage, plenty of gain, dead quiet, and very satisfying. It didn’t take long for me to also add the RVC and Tubestage to use it as a preamp. The promise of modularity rang true here, as it was easy to ship, and a 5 minute install, good to go, another 30 day trial. Adding the Telefunkens really made this a sonic win, eliminating more cables and a power cord along the way. Not quite as transparent as a TAP-X but with a slightly rounded edge, and some pleasant midrange bloom. Success again!

Next I added the DAC, Mosfet amp, and the just announced big hitter (at the time) AVC/Tubestage combo. Now we were cookin’, more cables gone, transparency was back to TAP-X level and the refinement was off the charts. And oh, yes, just a 5 minute upgrade again!

The last addition was balanced I/O which works very well with the Atsah 1200’s, since the NCore architecture suggests balanced (floating) inputs for lowest noise. Despite having a tube stage and 25’ XLR cables to the amps, 65db gain on phono, my system is absolutely dead quiet and sounds fantastic. Quite often I just use the Mosfet amp now, leaving one power cord for the LIO, one for the Aries, zero interconnects in the system, and two Curious USB cables with a Regen/wall wart. Next, the Sonore uRendu integration promises to eliminate the Regen/wall wart, one USB cable, Aries with power cord, and the UberBuss. I’m completely off the grid at that point, Supercap powered.

Final configuration will be
- LIO base chassis
- Phono stage with remote loading
- AVC/Tube Stage with Telefunkens
- Balanced inputs and outputs
- Mosfet amp (internal)
- PCM/DSD DAC
- Sonore uRendu, LIO powered

During this time I had many questions, made quite a few changes, had some special requests, and encountered a couple issues. This is what tells the story of a customer relationship. Despite being in the midst of launching a new company and product line, with reviewers chomping at the bit to get one, I was always treated as if my question or order was the only one that mattered, complete patience on the other end of the phone. Changes and re-shipments arrived in a few days. Responses were all pretty much real time, even during shows. I honestly don’t know how they do it.

Obviously this product exceeds my (high) expectations by a huge margin, and this product and company deliver more value than any audio purchase I’ve ever made, among many. It truly meets my needs now, and for the future, perfectly.

Many thanks and kudos to Vinnie Rossie (and of course Alexis!)  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2016, 12:54 am by TomS »

CMcGolpin

« Reply #48 on: 14 Apr 2016, 09:58 pm »
I have to concur with those final comments regarding what Vinnie does and the service he provides. I live in the UK and it feels like I am dealing with the corner shop at the end of my road - local and personable. I truly don't know how he does it however two things I do know for sure - I respect it and value it. On top of that his products are great and as an original LIO owner he is breaking new ground. Wonderful product.

Respect to Vinnie is all I can say.

Regards,
Chris McGolpin.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #49 on: 15 Apr 2016, 12:33 am »
TomS's testament is strongly persuasive given his past system(s) and acute understanding of the advantages of S-I-M-P-L-I-C-I-T-Y  :o

Best,
Anand.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #50 on: 15 Apr 2016, 01:17 am »
TomS's testament is strongly persuasive given his past system(s) and acute understanding of the advantages of S-I-M-P-L-I-C-I-T-Y  :o

Best,
Anand.

It is indeed! 

Tom's great experience was one of the big reasons I tried the LIO.

As I sit listening to some live Wilco from this past summer, I am sooooo happy that did.

:) :banana piano: :guitar:

George

olegausany

« Reply #51 on: 17 Apr 2016, 03:59 am »
I have been using my Lio I'm guessing close to 2 weeks now , today I put back my original Preamp and to honest I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go . The things I do like about the Lio is it does have a bit better detail and vocals are clearer , I also like the option to add modules if needed . I did get the HP module but my modded Woo Audio WA22 HP amp does out perform this module . I'm not saying the Lio module does a bad job because that's not the case . I was very happy with the lio HP module until today when I went back to the Woo . Again we are talking 5x the cost with mods and tubes . I'm going to listen another week to my old preamp and then switch back to the lio and decide .

I also have some new speakers coming in the next week sensitivity 99db Id love to try the lio module with but I dont know if I would have enough time . My current speakers are around 84db  Joseph Audio Perspectives and require a bit more power .
Hi ddark65
Unfortunately you didn't list your LIO's configuration so I have a few questions.
1. Do you have AVC/Tubestage module in your unit? Since you have so high end Woo tube amp I will assume the answer is Yes. Based on that my next question is do you use stock JJ tubes? If answer is Yes try some other tubes, which will cost you way less than tubes for the Woo, before you decide which way to go
2. Which headphones do you use?
Having experience with tube amp you should know well that you need to make sure you have tubes which are good match for your headphones for each amp to make fair comparison

Oleg

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #52 on: 17 Apr 2016, 02:05 pm »
Hi ddark65
Unfortunately you didn't list your LIO's configuration so I have a few questions.
1. Do you have AVC/Tubestage module in your unit? Since you have so high end Woo tube amp I will assume the answer is Yes. Based on that my next question is do you use stock JJ tubes? If answer is Yes try some other tubes, which will cost you way less than tubes for the Woo, before you decide which way to go
2. Which headphones do you use?
Having experience with tube amp you should know well that you need to make sure you have tubes which are good match for your headphones for each amp to make fair comparison

Oleg
  Yes I have the AVC/Tubestage module , I'm am currently using the HD800S . Im am also using the stock JJ tubes reason being I am considering upgrading to the DHT so it makes no sense to spend money on tubes I will not have a use for after the upgrade . Before upgrading to the totaldac twelve I was using the the totaldac monobloc and could connect my headphones direct which at that time I had the HD800 / LCD X  LCD 3 I also have other tube gear so I am well aware that tube rolling sometimes helps . The difference to me is huge enough that I doubt adding  a pair of upgrded tubes to the AVC/Tubestage is going to make that big of a difference to the Headphone portion  . It is not the end of the world I have no problem running an external headphone amp .   

I also use a pair of tube monoblocks with the Lio so its nice to have a separate headphone amp since I can just leave the headphone cable in and power the hp amp on or off instead of always having to pull the hp cable out of the lio . I'm not using the Lio amp module .

lutry

« Reply #53 on: 25 Apr 2016, 06:54 pm »
I bought my LIO (AVC/ Tube,  DAC, MOSEF) to substitute my Devialet 200.

I think the Devialet is a great machine: very transparent, very low distortion (at any volume), great dynamics and the SAM did benefit my little Boenicke W5se.

However, I felt something was missing - I did not feel engaged, not falling into the music; I would mostly appreciate how well music was being reproduced - in a very conscious way. With the LIO I get that engagement; I can easily appreciate and get emotionally connected to the music.

John Darko did a great job (as always) comparing the LIO with the Devialet and it's very much aligned with my opinion. The most important aspects behind my decision were the LIO's "tonal density" and more "romantic" flavor. Leonard Cohen's voice became even more seductive and addictive, drier recordings gained body and my all time 90’s rock / grunge favorite albums gained a mixed of punch and presence (Layne Staley’s voice became so much more expressive).
In terms of clarity and transparency I think both are excellent and for my listening routine I never felt LIO's 25w were inferior to Devialet's 200 (my living room is ~55 square meters).

Nevertheless, there are a couple of small features I miss from the Devialet:
-   I miss the Devialet’s simple app - it enabled me to control the volume and source. In the morning I really valued using my iphone to fire-up the LIO and the Aries for a musical breakfast.

-   I miss the range of Devialet’s remote control; I don’t exactly what technology approach they use but it would always work even if not pointing directly to the equipment. With the LIO, because I have it 90 degrees from my listening position, I have to stand-up to adjust the volume control. I must say nevertheless that LIO’s remote is way above average in terms of built quality and looks – it would make Naim owners jealous. 

Overall I feel that I found my amp/dac for the long run:
- It perfectly fits my musical taste and can even be further adjusted with some tube rolling (not dependent of firmware updates).
- It fits my daily life and home restrictions: I use it for some serious listening (2-3 times/ week in the evenings alone) but mostly I use it while I'm with my family in the living room. LIO's (and Boenicke's) compact size is perfect for me as I can integrate it in the room without much negotiation with my wife and, because is just ONE box, it can be easily operated.
- It enables significant upgrades and you know Vinnie will be on top of the most recent buzz (e.g. MQA) and it's customer wishes (e.g. app!  8) ).
- Finally, you get the feeling of a "around the corner shop" dealing with Vinnie Rossi. This gives you peace of mind that any potential issue will be resolved rapidly and that he's in "this" for the long run, also.

Lutry

System:
- Synology NAS / Tidal
- Auralic Aries
- Curious cable > Uptone Regen> JitterBug
- LIO
- Bluejeans cable
- Boenicke W5SE

mr_bill

« Reply #54 on: 25 Apr 2016, 08:59 pm »
Hi lutry and thanks for your comments from a Devialet 200 owner. The LIO looks like a super product.

Could you tell us about your Boenicke W5SE speakers too?  What size room do you use them in and how far away from the speakers do you listen?  Are these like a bookshelf monitor size?

lutry

« Reply #55 on: 25 Apr 2016, 10:24 pm »
Hi mt_bill,

A short description of the Boenicke W5 would be: very small monitors that play big with wonderful tone. Visually they are so unique that I would recommend you to google it.

I came across the Boenicke's through a 6moons' review. I was so intrigued by the review that I sent an email to Srajan's asking a couple of questions and kindly invited me to his home - at that time we both lived in Switzerland 30km apart.

When I arrived he had them hooked with his LIO (which he also reviewed). We spend 45 mts listening from Turkish tunes to Pavarotti. Beautiful sound and beautiful view of the lake Leman. Srajan had nothing but positive things to say about his white LIO.

Before the Boenicke's I had a pair of Dali Epicon 6. However, I had serious problems with room overload. My room at the time was 60sqm with little furniture. I was extremely frustrated and after talking with Srajan and reading some of his articles posted on the Digital Audio Review site called "Keep It Honest" I was aware of what the solution would be – and it worked.

If you’re interested to know a little more about the Boenicke’s I would advise you to read the 6moons in-depth review. The LIO review is also a great read.

Lutry

PS: I sit 3 meters away from the speakers and my current living room is ~55sqm. 

mr_bill

« Reply #56 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:53 am »
Thank you Lutry for your great comments. Very very interesting.

karastav

« Reply #57 on: 26 Apr 2016, 09:23 am »
If you have made it this far that you are reading user comments I would like to share my experience as I am stingy and had my own reservations when buying the LIO. Also like me you may live somewhere where an audition is not possible (I live in Estonia).

- Vinyl guy for decades. Found digital unlistenable. Like my tubes and natural timbres.

- I wanted a simpler system and for the first time was finding the progress made in digital was at a point where I could live with it.

- Sold my vinyl rig: Lenco L75 replinthed turntable, CartridgeMan Conductor Air Bearing Arm with Music Maker III MM, Graham Slee Reflex phono stage (also 47 labs phono stage), Cayin KT 88 Integrated Amp, Audes Blues speakers. Tons of interconnects and power cables.

- MacBook Laptop as source, LIO ( DAC and amplifier), Boenicke W5+. Curious USB cable and some vintage GE wire as speaker cables.

- My vinyl was the best sound I had ever heard... when it was working. Cartridge out, change in climate, static, power usage in my building during the day often made it unlistenable. Hours getting the setup just right. It was a high maintenance relationship.

- Off the grid, same consistent sound any time of day. Super clean setup. No need for tons of cables and power treatment. Listening much more.

I went into this wanting to get as close to analog sound as I could get. I had auditioned lots of other DACs and speakers (Heed, Direct Stream, Resonessence Labs, Metrum Acoustics), and I would have been more than happy with the LIO being at that level. Why I am extatic and taking the time to write this is that the LIO got to a place I had never experienced digital in any setup, it was a full being there in the music that I had only ever experienced with analog. Here I was hoping for something to bring musical enjoyment and ease of use, instead I got what for me was a real auditory shift in getting about musical enjoyment. There are now things in my current system that the vinyl just can't do, just as there are things the vinyl can do. But for the first time The LIO put digital on a level playing field with just a different perspective on emphasis.

No regrets.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #58 on: 27 Apr 2016, 06:43 pm »
All,

I need to chime in here and THANK EVERYONE who has contributed to this thread by sharing their LIO experience!  :notworthy:

Your posts have been very informative and will be most helpful to future LIO customers (by your sharing of info such as the equipment you own or have owned, speakers you are using, etc.). 

I really appreciate all your praise for LIO and mentioning the great service that you have and continue to receive as a Vinnie Rossi customer.  When LIO was still just a concept on paper, one of my main goals was to design it for long-term ownership, maximum enjoyment, and with continuous innovation (new module ideas!) in mind.  As posted in this thread, many of you have indeed added modules and upgrades over time (trading-in previous ones), and have mentioned another important goal in LIO's design:  Simplicity!

Sometimes, less really does = more.  Fewer boxes, fewer interconnects, no power conditioners or any power tweaks needed, optimized/shortest signal paths, clean front panel / ease of use and update / upgrade... simplicity was also built into LIO. 

From reading all your posts, it sounds like that you are listening more than ever with LIO.  Less complexity, less clutter - more listening!  :thumb:

And while I don't think anyone would consider LIO to be 'inexpensive,' I do appreciate your posts about LIO's high value.  Once you spend $2495 for the base LIO, the performance/price ratio of LIO modules is through the roof!  Why?  Because they are all fed from the LIO's isolated, internal ultracapacitor power supply.  We don't have to duplicate it and make duplicate enclosures for functions such as Phonostage, dac, headphone, linestage, etc.  The enclosure, patent-pending power supply, remote handset, back-plane (motherboard for the modules) are all part of the $2495 factory-direct cost.  If you think about the cost of a good power conditioner, power cables, and interconnects - you know that can very easily exceed $2495 alone.  So once you get the LIO base unit, every time you add modules, the performance/price ratio climbs rapidly!  8)  As you know, all LIO modules were independently and carefully designed to deliver very high performance, value, and a superb listening experience - not just "add on features."  It is all designed, assembled and tested here in MA, and I proudly back every LIO (and VR120!) with a 10-year warranty.

Being very passionate about LIO (and future LIO offerings), I can go on and on!  :roll:   But what I really want to say to everyone is
thank you for all your interest, support, feedback, and enthusiasm for LIO - and love for this hobby and listening to music in a way that invokes your emotions and becomes addictive.  I've been hooked since I was a pre-teen!  :green:

I look forward your more of your posts here in the future, and if you are not already signed up, please join our mailing list to get the latest news and updates (e.g. a link to LIO DHT PRE pre-ordering when it is ready):
http://vinnierossi.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=8732927ed821bd32f5f0fca4b&id=031c47d651

Happy listening!

Vinnie

Peterjauhal

« Reply #59 on: 1 May 2016, 06:27 am »
Some topics to *consider* discussing:

- Your LIO configuration

I have all of the modules apart from the phono stage
- The rest of your system (speakers, source components, etc)

Sources : la Rosita streamer from France, sonos connect, aries mini, Mac Pro, panasonic tv
Speakers and amp: I built my own floor standing speakers with ATC drivers and they are tri-amped using Rotel amplifiers.
I also use a bsg signal completion device.

- What the LIO has replaced, and how does it compare?
It replaced a DEQX which I was using as a pre-amp and dsp room correction system. The LIO is streets ahead in terms of the warmth and pleasure I receive from my system.
- Did you later add more LIO modules or upgrades?  How easy were they to install?
I switched to a balanced headphone output and it was trivial to install.
- Do you have any favorite recordings that you like to use to show off your system? Not really, everything sounds great!
- Anything else that you'd like to share about your experience with LIO / Vinnie Rossi
Very easy to deal with. Fantastic product. I am looking forward to trying the new components.