LIO remote control and Logitech Harmony

wilsynet

LIO remote control and Logitech Harmony
« on: 20 Sep 2015, 08:51 pm »
I have a Logitech Harmony, and there is a learning mode to configure components which are not found in the Harmony database.  However, the Harmony does not seem capable of learning the control codes of the LIO.  I tried to teach it power on and volume up, but it had trouble.

Does the LIO perhaps borrow IR codes from another well known component?  If so, then it would be a simple matter of configuring the Harmony for that other component.

Thanks,

Wilson

TomS

Re: LIO remote control and Logitech Harmony
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2015, 08:54 pm »
I have a Logitech Harmony, and there is a learning mode to configure components which are not found in the Harmony database.  However, the Harmony does not seem capable of learning the control codes of the LIO.  I tried to teach it power on and volume up, but it had trouble.

Does the LIO perhaps borrow IR codes from another well known component?  If so, then it would be a simple matter of configuring the Harmony for that other component.

Thanks,

Wilson
You might ping Anand (Poseidonsvoice). He worked with John Chapman to get the codes for the TAP-X and it is essentially the same remote. I have one of each and it for the most part works the same.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2015, 03:48 pm »

Thanks,

Wilson
Hi Wilson,

I'm pretty sure the code is custom (by John Chapman of Bent Audio), but a "learning remote" should be able to capture and save it.  I've used this type before w/o any problems.

But don't you want to use the LIO's solid aluminum remote?  It's feels awesome and empowering!  8)

- Vinnie

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2015, 06:54 pm »
I can't seem to get the Logitech Harmony Hub to capture the LIO's remote.  I know you have used learning remotes before (me too), but have you used learning remotes with the LIO?

[ As much as I'm sure others love the heft of the LIO's remote, I confess that 1) I have a few too many remotes already and 2) Small is beautiful. ]

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2015, 02:40 pm »
I can't seem to get the Logitech Harmony Hub to capture the LIO's remote.  I know you have used learning remotes before (me too), but have you used learning remotes with the LIO?

[ As much as I'm sure others love the heft of the LIO's remote, I confess that 1) I have a few too many remotes already and 2) Small is beautiful. ]

Hi wilsynet,

Yes, I've used a learning remote before with LIO (as a test) and has no problem with volume up/down and power commands.
I forgot the model of remote and it was not mine.

You might need to press and hold down the button as you try to get your learning remote to learn the command.

Vinnie

wilsynet

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2015, 04:10 pm »
I've tried everything short of sacrificing goats.  Could just be the Harmony Hub isn't very good at learning.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2015, 04:24 pm »
I've tried everything short of sacrificing goats.  Could just be the Harmony Hub isn't very good at learning.

Or you need to get a goat and try again!  :green:

wilsynet

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:09 am »
I continue to struggle to teach the Harmony hub the LIO commands.  I have tried over and over again.

wilsynet

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:17 am »
Could you post the IR hex codes for all of the LIO commands?  I will contact Logitech and ask them to add the device with these commands.

Wilson

Vinnie R.

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2016, 04:38 pm »
Could you post the IR hex codes for all of the LIO commands?  I will contact Logitech and ask them to add the device with these commands.

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

I just emailed John / Bent Audio.  I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:06 am »
Hi Wilson,

I just emailed you the LIO remote codes (PRONTO Hex code).

Hopefully they'll work fine with your Logitech.

If any other LIO customers need this, please email me directly.

Thank you,

Vinnie

sandmanct

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2016, 01:28 am »
Vinnie sent me the hex codes and Logitech entered them and posted the LIO on MY Harmony account.  The codes all work great.  I emailed Logitech and let them know the codes worked.  Hopefully they will add the LIO to their database for others to access.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:23 am »
Vinnie sent me the hex codes and Logitech entered them and posted the LIO on MY Harmony account.  The codes all work great.  I emailed Logitech and let them know the codes worked.  Hopefully they will add the LIO to their database for others to access.

Hi sandmanct,

Welcome to the VR forum!

Thanks for confirming that the codes work and for emailing Logitech.   This is really good news!

Vinnie

wilsynet

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2016, 01:42 pm »
Between work and the little one, there's hardly been time for me to breathe.  But a couple of weeks ago I was finally able to follow up with the Harmony support folks.

They added the LIO to my account like they did for sandmanct.  I also asked them to add the device to the global database, and after a couple of more rounds of email exchanges, they were able to add the device.

As you can see, this link lists the LIO in their device database:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-in/compatibility?manufacturer=Vinnie%20Rossi&model=LIO&utm_source=harmony%20agent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=compatability%20lookup

The way the Harmony works, my guess is that setting up the LIO within the Harmony new activity wizard is not going to do quite the right thing.  Regretfully, I didn't inform the Logitech people that there needs to be a turn on delay of however many seconds it is for the tube preamp section.  I do believe you can add the turn on delay yourself though.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2016, 02:55 pm »
Hi wilsynet,

Thanks for helping to get LIO in their database!

The way the Harmony works, my guess is that setting up the LIO within the Harmony new activity wizard is not going to do quite the right thing.  Regretfully, I didn't inform the Logitech people that there needs to be a turn on delay of however many seconds it is for the tube preamp section.  I do believe you can add the turn on delay yourself though.

The warm-up delay for the tubestage is automatic in the LIO (nothing to do with the remote).  When you turn LIO ON (via front panel
power button, or remote power button), the 30 second delay is automatic. 

sandmanct's post above tells me that it should all work out well for you.  I sure hope it does!

Vinnie

wilsynet

« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2016, 04:00 pm »
Of course the warmup stage has nothing to do with the remote.

The Logitech Harmony has as a central concept a set of activities.  Each activity, whether watching TV or listening to music, has a set of devices associated with it, and a desired state for each of those devices.

For something like an AV Receiver, or, say, an Integrated Stereo Amplifier (like the LIO), the Harmony expects to set the LIO to a specific input.

Most devices that the Harmony expects to control do not have a long warmup stage.  So by default, what will happen when you include the LIO in the "Listen to Music" activity, is that it will turn on the LIO, and if needed, it will cycle the inputs into it gets to the right input.  If I recall, the warmup stage precludes any other activity, including switching of inputs.  So in this case, what will happen is the Harmony may try to switch inputs, but nothing will happen, and then the Harmony and the LIO will be out of sync.

Having said all of that, the Harmony let's you program delays into each step.  So a LIO owner with a Harmony remote can manually tune this configuration if needed.

Wilson

Vinnie R.

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2016, 04:04 pm »
Hi Wilson,

Thank you for explaining this - now it makes more sense.  :wink:

I hope it works out for you,

Vinnie