HD Tracks Price Increase

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: HD Tracks Price Increase
« Reply #60 on: 12 Oct 2009, 01:55 pm »
Bruce,
Welcome to AC and the HiRez Circle.  Thanks for the call the other day.

Gang, Bruce is a mastering engineer, and he and his company, Puget Sound, are the ones who are helping HDTracks get their HiRez material by, among other things, pulling the DSD off of SACD/DSD recordings and transferring them onto PCM...88.2k mostly, due to the fact that 88.2k is a clean divisor of DSD's base of 44.1k (times x, of course).

mdconnelly

« Reply #61 on: 12 Oct 2009, 02:03 pm »
Nice!   So where are the 24/96 albums being sourced?

DSD_Mastering

« Reply #62 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:06 am »
Thanks Ted... it's always great to talk shop!

24/96 files are either souced from DVD-A or analogue tape

Regards,

mikel51

« Reply #63 on: 16 Apr 2010, 11:30 pm »
I been seeing some new hi rez offerings that interest me....has anybody seen any discount offerings lately?  The ones that look interesting to me are:

Quiet Nights-Diana Krall
River: The Joni Letters-Herbie Hancock
Lady Sings The Blues-Billie Holiday
In Session-Albert King | Stevie Ray Vaughan
Life, Death, Love and Freedom--John Mellencamp

firedog

« Reply #64 on: 18 Apr 2010, 07:40 am »

Quiet Nights-Diana Krall
River: The Joni Letters-Herbie Hancock
Lady Sings The Blues-Billie Holiday
In Session-Albert King | Stevie Ray Vaughan
Life, Death, Love and Freedom--John Mellencamp

If anybody hears these and can compare them to the 16/44.1, I'd like to know what you think.

mikel51

« Reply #65 on: 30 May 2010, 02:49 pm »
I have been enjoying the HD version of Ella and Louis with Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong sourced from HD Tracks.  The sound is quite beautiful, detailed and rich and the music is great.  Thanks to HDTrack for making the effort to digitalize in HD from the analog tapes.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #66 on: 30 May 2010, 02:52 pm »
If anybody hears these and can compare them to the 16/44.1, I'd like to know what you think.

River's been pulled.  It was inadvertently shown as hirez but found later to be upsampled only from the label.  See my thread about this re-assessment they are doing.  You can get a refund.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81861.0

BobC

« Reply #67 on: 8 Jan 2016, 08:15 pm »
Jeesh, is it just me...or did the prices go up again?  $22.95 for a 24/44 flac?!?  (Yeah, I know....apply a 15% coupon and it's $19.50, but still.

For that matter....at least if could be a 24/96.  (not sure I can hear a difference, but I feel like I'm getting something more I guess)

santacore

« Reply #68 on: 8 Jan 2016, 08:37 pm »
Yeah, their pricing is high. Apparently they think sending out coupons once or twice a month will make up for it. I've moved on to Pono for all my high-res. download needs.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #69 on: 8 Jan 2016, 09:43 pm »
I'd rather save up money for the best DAC possible that optimizes 16-bit/44.1KHz than spend that money on very high priced hirez downloads. Those high prices will assure that hirez will continue to be a niche market.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 8 Jan 2016, 09:51 pm »
I'd rather save up money for the best DAC possible that optimizes 16-bit/44.1KHz than spend that money on very high priced hirez downloads. Those high prices will assure that hirez will continue to be a niche market.

Too damn right there man. You can pick up CD's for $1 all day long. I quit buying from HD Tracks a couple years ago after figuring out that several of their albums are not really high resolution. Anybody can compare the CD to the download with software. They should know better!

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #71 on: 8 Jan 2016, 10:08 pm »
Yeah, their pricing is high. Apparently they think sending out coupons once or twice a month will make up for it. I've moved on to Pono for all my high-res. download needs.

+1  I stopped shopping at HD Tracks months ago because of the pricing.  Ponomusic charges less for a 24/44 or 24/48 where as HD Tracks socks it to you for 24 bit.

santacore

« Reply #72 on: 8 Jan 2016, 10:39 pm »
Another great thing about Pono, besides the prices, is that if they get a higher res. version later, you get the download for free.

jseymour

« Reply #73 on: 8 Jan 2016, 11:02 pm »

I highly recommend Schitt multibit DACs.  I bought a Schitt Yggdrasil in November and I cannot imagine my CDs sounder any better.  For the last two years I have been buying more Hi-res than CDs.  With the Yggdrasil that ratio is going to be inverted.  The Yggdrasil has eliminated any thoughts I had about getting into vinyl.

MttBsh

« Reply #74 on: 9 Jan 2016, 01:32 am »
I highly recommend Schitt multibit DACs.  I bought a Schitt Yggdrasil in November and I cannot imagine my CDs sounder any better.  For the last two years I have been buying more Hi-res than CDs.  With the Yggdrasil that ratio is going to be inverted.  The Yggdrasil has eliminated any thoughts I had about getting into vinyl.

+1 on the Yggy, I recently acquired one right around the same time I added a Tortuga LDR pre and MacMini to my system. High Rez means nothing to me now, because standard FLACs put me in the room with the musicians.
I am stunned by the price to quality ratio of new audio gear like the Yggy and Tortuga; with the high cost of high rez I believe one's heard-earned dollars may be better spent on new equipment.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #75 on: 12 Jan 2016, 12:21 pm »
+1 on the Yggy, I recently acquired one right around the same time I added a Tortuga LDR pre and MacMini to my system. High Rez means nothing to me now, because standard FLACs put me in the room with the musicians.
I am stunned by the price to quality ratio of new audio gear like the Yggy and Tortuga; with the high cost of high rez I believe one's heard-earned dollars may be better spent on new equipment.

+1  I think that goodness applies in varying degrees to all of the Schiit Multibit dacs.  I'm very very pleased with my Gumby!!