How about a 0" depth Alpha Series wood panel

mfsoa

How about a 0" depth Alpha Series wood panel
« on: 28 Dec 2015, 02:37 am »
GIK,

I was looking for something to maybe put directly on top of some of my existing 242 and 244 panels to liven the room up a bit.

Something like just the wood face of an Alpha would work well and I think the audiophile community might like to have an easy fix like this to tune the absorption/diffusion ratio.

Is is possible to buy only the wooden front part of the Alpha?

Thanks

-Mike

dpatters

Re: How about a 0" depth Alpha Series wood panel
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2015, 01:15 pm »
Mike,

I asked the same question and was told they won't be offered separately  This would be a great solution for existing customers.  Anyone else out there interested?

Don P.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2015, 01:35 pm »
Actually we might be offering something like that in a few months. We bought a CNC to do these in house (install in Feb), so it will let us do more custom sizes. I will keep you guys posted as things move forward. BTW you can see the machine here!! ;)
https://www.facebook.com/glenn.kuras/videos/10206310995187193/

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2015, 02:16 pm »
GIK,

I was looking for something to maybe put directly on top of some of my existing 242 and 244 panels to liven the room up a bit.

Something like just the wood face of an Alpha would work well and I think the audiophile community might like to have an easy fix like this to tune the absorption/diffusion ratio.

Thanks

-Mike

Great minds think alike. A bunch of 48 inch panels over the top of standard panels would be very nice.

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2015, 04:05 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply, Glenn.  I'd put in a vote for a 24 x 24" panel too, to sit in the middle/top/bottom of a trap.
Looking forward to adding something like this to a few of the 19 GIK products I currently use in my little room  :thumb:

-Mike

OgOgilby

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2016, 04:43 pm »
That is a great idea! Being able to attach an Alpha wood front would be an excellent way to add some diffusion to the 242's and 244's and as a bonus adding the Alpha wood panel should help with WAF. My wife has remarked that she "has to put up with all those boring panels" when we have guests over  :duh:  Funny since she didn't want art panels...

-Greg

dpatters

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2016, 05:09 pm »
I'm with you Greg - I ordered some of the alpha woods and the first thing my wife wanted to know is if I could cover my tri trap and 242s with the wood.

Don P.

Wig

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2016, 05:08 am »
I also like the idea of covering my 244 with the Alpha wood panels as well...

Wig

Nick77

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2016, 10:40 am »
Whats the difference between the offered "scatter plate" and the Alpha wood panel? Quality of wood?

Can the scatter plate be displayed on outside of panel?

advanced101

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2016, 05:07 pm »
Whats the difference between the offered "scatter plate" and the Alpha wood panel? Quality of wood?

Can the scatter plate be displayed on outside of panel?

The alpha panels are in a mathematical sequence for spatial diffusion, for higher performance.
The scatter plates are even width and spaced slots.

The alpha panel is a finished piece with a veneer, meant to be outside of the fabric
The scatter plate is an unfinished piece wood, meant to be hidden behind fabric.  The slots were not sanded on my panels, leaving rough edges.

You could put the scatter plate on the outside of the fabric, yourself, but they are not attractive enough in stock form.

Although I didn't take measurements, the scatter plate is more than double the thickness of the alpha plate.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2016, 07:13 pm »
The alpha panels are in a mathematical sequence for spatial diffusion, for higher performance.
The scatter plates are even width and spaced slots.

The alpha panel is a finished piece with a veneer, meant to be outside of the fabric
The scatter plate is an unfinished piece wood, meant to be hidden behind fabric.  The slots were not sanded on my panels, leaving rough edges.

You could put the scatter plate on the outside of the fabric, yourself, but they are not attractive enough in stock form.

Although I didn't take measurements, the scatter plate is more than double the thickness of the alpha plate.

You beat me to the punch! +1  :D

Ishmael

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2016, 04:55 pm »
I like the retrofit idea, too. Please keep in mind your 5' gobos for this as well as the 2' x 4' panels.

I'd also like to see the Alpha series offered as an alternative option to scatter plates on a broader range of products for new purchases, in particular, Monster Bass Traps with Flexrange. This would be a winner, both aesthetically and in terms of performance, so you probably already have this in mind.

To what extent, if any, would Alpha fronts compromise the low frequency performance of Monster Traps? I'd think they'd be better than the heavier scatter plates in this respect.

Ishmael

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2016, 07:14 pm »
Just saw that the new CNC router handles up to 24" x 48", so full coverage for 5' gobos could be a problem.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2016, 04:29 am »
GIK,

Thanks

-Mike

I brought this up on the new Alpha series thread a couple of times a few weeks ago and Glenn responded but know one said a thing :scratch: Really glad this is going to happen and that it has gained some traction. I'm waiting for the tri traps traps with the wood on the outside so I can purchase those and a duel set of the Alphas at the same time. I think they are going to look great together :thumb:

Thanks Glenn!

Greg

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2016, 02:56 pm »
Just saw that the new CNC router handles up to 24" x 48", so full coverage for 5' gobos could be a problem.

Yes it has a 4'x8' bed.  :D The only problem I see is to maximize the wood we have to cut them at 23.75" x 47.75, which will not fit a standard Monster, 244 and so on. It will still work but there will be a bit of open area around the panel. 

Ishmael

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2016, 03:39 pm »
==The only problem I see is to maximize the wood we have to cut them at 23.75" x 47.75, which will not fit a standard Monster, 244 and so on. It will still work but there will be a bit of open area around the panel.==

Why not chamfer the trap framing to match the usable dimensions of the machined veneer? It's an extra step, but it shouldn't be too much extra work/expense. There would still be cloth exposed on the chamfer, but it would look like an intentional detail, not an accidental mismatch. Chamfered edges would soften the appearance and could be a nice upgrade option for the traps, with or without the Alpha front.

mcallister

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2016, 05:56 pm »
Count me in. I am wanting to "liven" up my room a little and would definitely purchase.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2016, 03:12 pm »
==The only problem I see is to maximize the wood we have to cut them at 23.75" x 47.75, which will not fit a standard Monster, 244 and so on. It will still work but there will be a bit of open area around the panel.==

Why not chamfer the trap framing to match the usable dimensions of the machined veneer? It's an extra step, but it shouldn't be too much extra work/expense. There would still be cloth exposed on the chamfer, but it would look like an intentional detail, not an accidental mismatch. Chamfered edges would soften the appearance and could be a nice upgrade option for the traps, with or without the Alpha front.

Can't do that on the 244 or Monster, but that gives me a great idea that I might work on.  :thumb:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2016, 03:17 pm »
A little picture of the Alphas at NAMM in CA we have a booth at this weekend.

HPower

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2016, 11:51 pm »
Hi Glenn,

I am liking the looks of your new Alpha Series wood panels, and I am wondering if it is something I should consider.
Maybe I might try at least a couple of the wood panels to insert over a couple of my current panels.

Last week I rotated my room 90 degrees so that my speakers (DIY, Cornscalas) are now on my short wall (W= 14.5')
vs. the long wall which they were on (W= 20').

I like this new configuration better for aesthetics and the depth of the sound, but obviously I am not getting the same wide soundstage.
Not sitting with my head right at the back wall (old long wall set up) has given an improvement which may be even more improved
with some absorption/diffusion  treatments behind the new listening position?

I think I will go to  your web site and solicit your advice and product suggestions, with a few pics and floor plan?
Thanks!