Lexicon BD-30 player information

Phil A

Re: Lexicon BD-30 player information
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:44 pm »
Yes, but if I remember correctly the price difference between the two products (Bryston vs Lexicon) wasn't quote as significant as the Oppo and Lexicon.

Also I think Lexicon did make some modifications to the amps, but I can't verify that.

I don't believe there was any difference between the Lexicon and Bryston.  Lexicon did make sure I believe to get that THX certification :roll:  I always found it interesting that Lexicon was part of Harman International which owned Madrigal Labs (Levinson and Proceed) and Madrigal was located not that far from Lexicon (vs. Bryston) and they chose another manufacturer not related to rebadge amps.  Perhaps they knew more than they could say given who owned them.

taoggniklat

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:03 pm »
I don't believe there was any difference between the Lexicon and Bryston.  Lexicon did make sure I believe to get that THX certification :roll:  I always found it interesting that Lexicon was part of Harman International which owned Madrigal Labs (Levinson and Proceed) and Madrigal was located not that far from Lexicon (vs. Bryston) and they chose another manufacturer not related to rebadge amps.  Perhaps they knew more than they could say given who owned them.

Ah yes, THX certification....and people are calling Lexicon a fraud.   :eyebrows: :duh:

randybessinger

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:33 pm »
It is very expensive to develop these types of platforms so it is understandable that a company would OEM them. I doubt there are but a handful of actual Blu-Ray OEM platform manufacturers.  The outrage isn't in the low end, it is in the high end when you pay a hefty price for brand name and cosmetics.  Happens all the time in the high end but usually there is at least some attempt to differentiate performance wise (even if it isn't a visual or sonic improvement).

funkmonkey

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2010, 11:43 pm »
I thought this was sad, sad news.  :nono:
Yeah, nothing new, happens all the time... 
but only because we let it.

What ever happened to integrity?

frankly, I am glad they tried to pull it off and got caught.

Nuance

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:43 am »
frankly, I am glad they tried to pull it off and got caught.

Well stated.  Dito.

divisionbell77

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jan 2010, 02:39 pm »
Well, here's one example: http://hometheaterreview.com/lexicon-bd-30-universal-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

What I find amazing is the comments section below the review.  They won't even admit they were duped, and are sticking to their guns on this.  The OPPO is a fantastic unit.  They have not reviewed it, though they say one is in for review(with a NuForce modded version). 

I can easily see how they loved the quality of the Lexicon before knowing it was the OPPO.  Who wouldn't?  The OPPO beats out players in this price category to begin with!

But to completely 100% defend Lexicon and overlook the fact it is a rebadged OPPO with a slightly different GUI is fairly amazing.  Then he is constantly pointing out that audioholics sells the OPPO and not Lexicon, like they are biased and trying to mislead....WOW.

Hometheaterreview.com chose the wrong way to approach this situation.  If I was them, it would have been the 'what the hell Lexicon' train.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jan 2010, 02:47 pm »
Consumer fraud regarding vastly overpriced and sometimes just inflated copies of audio equipment and accessories - - - I have been preaching about this for the past fifty years and nobody listens.  Maybe now?

It would be fun to take apart a $50,000 power amp and actually price it out, part by part. Remember that 1% precision metal film resistors cost five cents each.

There was a cartoon in Stereo Review many years ago that I wish somebody had and could post again.  It was a photo of a couple in an audio salon looking at a very expensive giant refrigerator plus sized speaker system.  On the back panel there was a warning, "DO NOT OPEN BECAUSE OF SHOCK".  They opened the back panel anyway and found that inside the speaker there was only a small car radio speaker driver.  Next to it was another sign reading,  "See, we told you that you would be shocked".

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

RadioWonder

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:52 pm »
Consumer fraud regarding vastly overpriced and sometimes just inflated copies of audio equipment and accessories - - - I have been preaching about this for the past fifty years and nobody listens.  Maybe now?

It would be fun to take apart a $50,000 power amp and actually price it out, part by part. Remember that 1% precision metal film resistors cost five cents each.

There was a cartoon in Stereo Review many years ago that I wish somebody had and could post again.  It was a photo of a couple in an audio salon looking at a very expensive giant refrigerator plus sized speaker system.  On the back panel there was a warning, "DO NOT OPEN BECAUSE OF SHOCK".  They opened the back panel anyway and found that inside the speaker there was only a small car radio speaker driver.  Next to it was another sign reading,  "See, we told you that you would be shocked".

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Can not find that cartoon, but found a great thread with other Stereo Review cartoons by Charles Rodrigues... :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/120323/1212271.aspx

I love this one...

Stylus

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jan 2010, 07:34 pm »
I like this one  :D

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #29 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:39 pm »
Can not find that cartoon, but found a great thread with other Stereo Review cartoons by Charles Rodrigues... :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/120323/1212271.aspx

What a great thread that is, full of valuable links!

K Shep