Peerless 830669 rabbet bit

f575m

Peerless 830669 rabbet bit
« on: 5 Mar 2018, 09:48 pm »
Hello,

I am building a pair of dipole subwoofers using 4 Peerless 830669. I practiced cutting a hole in a scrap piece of MDF using my new router and a 15/16" rabbet bit that I had for over 40 years. My problem is that I cannot find a bit to cut a 3/4" rabbet for less than $150, there are bits for less than $40 but the maximum width is ½" inch. Any recommendations?

Thanks much in advance.

Best regards,

Horacio

hdspeakerman

Re: Peerless 830669 rabbet bit
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2018, 12:49 am »
You could use two pieces with different size holes in each one.  The speaker would actually rest on the bottom one and the hole in the top one would be the size of the outside edge.  They can even be different thickness depending on the thickness of the speaker edge. 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2018, 12:54 am »
Hello,

I am building a pair of dipole subwoofers using 4 Peerless 830669. I practiced cutting a hole in a scrap piece of MDF using my new router and a 15/16" rabbet bit that I had for over 40 years. My problem is that I cannot find a bit to cut a 3/4" rabbet for less than $150, there are bits for less than $40 but the maximum width is ½" inch. Any recommendations?

Thanks much in advance.

Best regards,

Horacio

Cut the rabbet first at the diameter and depth needed, then cut through hole. This maintains you center pivot. Or you could make a pattern and use a template collar in your router.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2018, 02:13 am »
I use 1/4" bit and make several passes, maintaining bit depth and only changing the jig diameter in increments slightly smaller than the bit diameter to get a perfectly flat rabbet surface.
Cut the outer flange diameter first, then mill out the rabbet, then plunge the thru hole, using same center pivot like Peter J said.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2018, 07:50 am »
As richidoo says, just do multiple passes with your 15/16 bit. I'm not sure that a 3/4" bit on a handheld router would be safe anyway.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2018, 08:06 am »
Oh wait.. 15/16 is larger than 3/4. So I'm not sure I follow. I just use a straight 1/2" bit and do more than one pass if needed.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2018, 04:55 pm »
I am building a pair of dipole subwoofers using 4 Peerless 830669.
Finally! Congrats Horatio  :thumb:

My problem is that I cannot find a bit to cut a 3/4" rabbet for less than $150, there are bits for less than $40 but the maximum width is ½" inch.
Ok, this part I can't figure. You should be able to find a lot of 3/4" router bits for <$150.
Are you searching locally or online? I assume you don't mean a 3/4" shank.  Those might be pricey. A quick search of Amazon yielded over 40 3/4" straight bits with 1/4-1/2" shanks, for < $30!
As others have suggested, you can make multiple passes too, just watch your depth. The key is calculating your resulting outside diameter cut with whatever bit size you use. A Jasper router jig (Parts Express) comes in handy too, with 1/16th increments.

cheers,

AJ

f575m

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2018, 06:58 pm »
HI AJ,

Yes, finally, thank you. I found a chap with a CNC, he was able to accommodate me but I wasted my time and when I bought the Baltic plywood he was swamped by orders, as you very well know CNC is for repetitive work and setting the machine up for just four pieces with so many customers waiting it was a no no so, I decided to do it myself. I have an old Craftsman router bought in 1978 but it is a fixed base router so I bought a Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router kit, it is a joy to use, light and accurate. I bought Amana bits from Toolstoday, and would not be more pleased with them, super prices and great customer service advice.

I also bought an Amana 49340 Multi-rabbet set bit, changing the bearings will let me get the right rabbet. Once I have finished my cabinets I will post some pictures.

Best regards,

Horacio

f575m

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2018, 10:25 pm »
This is what I have done so far, I still need to veneer the sides, put kerf panels to cover the QUADS base, stain the cabinets and install the drivers. A friend mentioned that I haven't arrived yet and when I arrive I will regret it. He said the journey is the thing, not the destination. By the way, I used 3/4" Baltic birch plywood and 3/4" MDF for the baffles.