I loathe Harmony remotes

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
I loathe Harmony remotes
« on: 24 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm »
But I've been using them for almost ten years because I can hide the gear in a closet.  But it seems like I have to reset that darn hub about once a month.  I just absolutely loathe the whole monopoly they have on the market.  Cnet doesn't even have another brand in their "top 5" for whatever that biased reporting is worth.

Are there any other options I should look at?

RDavidson

Re: I loathe Harmony remotes
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:46 am »
Don't buy the expensive tricked out versions unless you need to (ie for home automation). Overall, I've had very good experiences with the basic ~$50-$70 Harmony remotes. The newer ones (in this price range) lack some of customizable programmability of the older ones (from 10 years ago) though. My guess is that they do this to streamline setup for most people, while the few like me who like more customization, are out in the cold unless we buy the more complicated (and more sketchy) $200 remotes.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:50 am »
I have not tried the newer ones.  For my main and bedroom system I share a Harmony One.  I bought a back-up Harmony one years back when Costco was blowing them out for $98.  Years before that I bought a Harmony 880 for that same blow-out price at Costco and use that in one spare system.  I have either a 650 or 700 in another spare room.  Never had very many issues.  At first I hated them coming from Pronto remotes.  Pronto, when they were made, was a bit more work but one could customize the screen images.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2017, 02:45 am »
I use a 650. When it works its awesome. But sometimes it gets confused and it doesnt know something is on/off and can't turn it on/off. If it falls in the floor I get tortured by dumb shit training screens... I liked it a lot more the first week when it was pretty flawless.

It is very confusing as to why it can't work as functionally well as the original remote... which I dont use because the buttons are shit.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2017, 11:59 am »
Long time happy user. 

Have had 880, 890, 900.   Currently using 2 650's and a Hub.  The 650's are in the TV spaces in the home and the Hub I use in my basement HT with media closet.

No issue with the Hub on my end.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2017, 03:07 pm »
I use a 650. When it works its awesome. But sometimes it gets confused and it doesnt know something is on/off and can't turn it on/off. If it falls in the floor I get tortured by dumb shit training screens... I liked it a lot more the first week when it was pretty flawless.

It is very confusing as to why it can't work as functionally well as the original remote... which I dont use because the buttons are shit.

On one set-up I had with an old Pioneer 1120 receiver, the components would come on based on whatever the last selection was.  It was easily fixed hitting the 'help' button.  I've had one component on occasion not shut off (usually it is my old set top box for TV broadcasts) and hitting the 'help' button was a quick fix.

Mike-48

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2017, 03:39 pm »
On one set-up I had with an old Pioneer 1120 receiver, the components would come on based on whatever the last selection was.  It was easily fixed hitting the 'help' button.

Yes, the 'help' button is your friend. I use a Harmony One, and occasionally something gets out of sync. But it's still the only way that a nontechnical person can use our TV system, which has a panel TV so old that we need a separate HDMI switch to connect other things.

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2017, 04:11 pm »
I've always had a love/hate with Harmony.  I am using a hub plus a 950 and another one that came with the remote.   Everything was working for a while, now very little works.  I got a new LG OLED tv, and it absolutely refuses to learn the on/off functions no matter how many times I've loaded the device and also tried training it.   I quit controlling my TV box and NVidia Shield, although it will atleast turn the latter on.  It used to do all of those functions well.   

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2017, 05:28 pm »
On one set-up I had with an old Pioneer 1120 receiver, the components would come on based on whatever the last selection was.  It was easily fixed hitting the 'help' button.  I've had one component on occasion not shut off (usually it is my old set top box for TV broadcasts) and hitting the 'help' button was a quick fix.

The fact that I am doing it at all is what is irritating; they should work like the oem remote. Everytime I drop the remote I have to cycle its bullshit menu helper.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2018, 05:35 am »
Now the remote is a total PITA. Can't wait for new DISH remote in mail... DISH redesigned their remote and it's super nice now.

skunark

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2018, 05:46 am »
Just reenact the Office Space scene with the copy machine and release your stress. 

I agree with you, their remotes are just horrible, but some of the issues stem with the device it's controlling    As noted, it's annoying when manufactures don't provide separate On and Off IR codes, that alone would make the harmony remote tremendously more useful.     I do remember trying to set up two remotes and had to provide a second email address to register and configure them, hopefully that still isn't an issue.  I've since smashed the ones i bought.   

For my friends and family I always tell them to pick a brand and stay with it as it's more likely one remote will operate all devices. 

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2018, 04:21 pm »
Despite the downhill road for my 650, it has been necessary between the time when DISH only had replacement trash remotes and the new release. So I am grateful something existed. But the DISH remote is $20 or $25, and utterly superior... why was the 650 designed to fail so prematurely for a premium? If they think that would make me want to upgrade to a "better" Harmony remote????? I would sooner switch to cable or DirecTV.

stlrman

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2018, 05:03 pm »
can I use this for projector and electric screen? I have like 6 remotes!!

Doublej

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2018, 05:10 pm »
Replace your gear with stuff that is controllable via apps. My entry level Sony Blu-ray player and my lowish end Yamaha AVR have ios apps which rock! I suspect if I upgraded my TV (it's 8 years old now) it too would be controllable via an app.

How many pieces of gear are we talking about here?

You could also use a dumb IR repeater. Then you would just need to run a sensor from inside the closet to a spot where IR remotes can see it.

youravhandyman

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2018, 06:50 pm »
Harmony is just about a monopoly on consumer programmable universal remotes though that's not necessarily a bad thing.  If someone had a better product you would see it out there.

So if I read everyone's post here you are either a. Doing it wrong or b. (hope this was tongue-in-cheek) need to replace your gear.  Another option is a professionally programmed remote such as URC, RTI, Savant and many more that might have the options and capability that you are looking for.  Of course this is not a cheap option but it puts the hair-pulling frustration of programming off to someone else who is employed to get it right.

If you have questions about these kind of products I can help you with questions that you might have. 

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2018, 06:58 pm »
So you're saying I'm incapable of properly picking up a remote?  :roll: 

What needs replaced is my Harmony remote that needs me to press 20 button before it'll allow me to use it, every time I pick it up.

WC

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2018, 08:23 pm »
Folsom,

You do know that the Harmony software lets you program additional delays into its one touch setups? That should minimize the number of times you have to press help.

The 650 is OK and is setup so the rest of the family can use the TV and connected devices. Most of the time I just use my AVR remote since I won't use the sound out of the TV (other family members will) and I can control all my devices with it except for the devices without IR (Xbox One S and Roku).

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2018, 09:25 pm »
No, no it wouldn't. It's a broken piece of shit that sucks bird asshole. It forgets that you've been through the tutorials every time you pick it up, and you cannot shorten them.

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2018, 12:47 am »
IF I had had your experience I don't doubt I would be just as frustrated as you.

I have not.  For years.  I continue to love all 3 of my Logitech remotes.

I can program them from my PC easily or even use the app for my Link version.

I don't understand the problems you're having.  My kids can use these since they were 6.

That said - not much is more frustrating than something that is supposed to be easy, and that many others find easy!

Glad you found a solution.

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2018, 01:28 am »
 :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

IT IS BROKEN. It took nothing to break it but regular use. And the way it is broken is so stupid... whomever engineered it basically set it up as a torture device.

I used it for awhile, months, without issue. Now however... well I'll post photos once I get my DISH remote.