Hunting for a killer tonearm

buckeyefanandy

Hunting for a killer tonearm
« on: 2 Apr 2015, 04:13 am »
I had a tt, it got damaged, a year later replaced, but not I need a tonearm.  Anyone have something they could sell that they no longer need.

Well i had this cart i won at an auction, long story short it sold at auction for nearly $1300, and my tonearm budget just jumped way beyond my original plan.  I have an offer on a Kuzma Stogi arm.  I am not sure what to do next.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2015, 03:08 am by buckeyefanandy »

sunnydaze

Re: Hunting for a budget tonearm
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2015, 02:48 pm »
What is the table?  Planned cartridge?

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:02 am »
Townshend Rock.

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2015, 10:54 pm »
I have owned the Rock 3 since 1997, and have used several arms on it.  Perhaps if you give more info about budget, willingness to buy used, etc. then maybe myself (and the community) can provide some input. 

Your original post is kindof open ended and broad.

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2015, 12:39 pm »
The ONLY arm I have been able to find locally was a Micro Seiki(sp?), but the dealer has changed his mind and his price multiple times.  I really just want to get something entry level was thinking a rega or rega based arm.  Am open to suggestions and trying to pinch pennies.  Would appreciate your rock experiences and feedback and would really only look for something used.

The price on the dealer Micro Seiki arm was $175 plus whatever wire setup and another $125 to set it all up.  I was looking at an ort red cartridge at $100.  So that is the only option I have now, but would be interested in finding something else because the dealer has bumped his price on me twice.  Just don't want to deal with him now.  When I showed up the first day he said $150 for the arm and $100 for the cart and that they would set it up with the purchase of the pair.  Then it jumped to $175, plush the wires.  Then it jumped for the install/set up price.  Total went from $250 to almost $500 for the same arm, so here I am.

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2015, 04:53 pm »
I don't know the Micro Seiki, so I can't specifically comment on it.   Not tons of arms available at that budget, but I think you are on the right path with Rega and it's variants.  The Rock was often sold with Rega arms.  Unless you get one with an upgraded VTA adjuster, what I don't like about Rega is the inablility to easily adjust VTA.  Using shims is not a viable option for me -- just too hard.

Several yrs ago I borrowed an older Linn Akito and it was just fine on my Rock 3.  Actually, it surprised me how good it was.  Linn Basic would be another good candidate.  If you check EBay "completed listings" you will see both models selling in the $100 to $300 range.  Based on this experience I acquired a used Linn Ittok.  It gels nicely w/ my Rock.

VTA is easily adjusted on the Linns, but like the Rega, azimuth is not.  But I suspect at this price, it would be rare to find an arm with adjustable azimuth.

Also in your budget and probably worth seeking out are some of the names made by OEM Jelco:  Mission, Audioquest, Pro-ject, Sumiko, Ortofon, etc.   Jelco makes very decent quality arms.  Do your online research for all the positive comments.

Just make sure you don't use a unipivot arm on the Rock.  The front end silicone trough will make the arm rotate on its own axis, resulting in azimuth that is swinging all over the place.

Get this dyna 10x cart for around $200, and in the 400 to 500 dollar range (arm + cartridge) it will be tough to beat.  I use the dyna 20x (one model above the 10x) and really like it.  The 10x is a fine cart -- some actually prefer it to the 20x -- and I'm pretty sure it will be more sophisticated / refined than the Ortofon Red.

http://audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Phono-Cartridge/Dynavector/10x5/Moving-Coil-Cartridge/130028

Just me, but I'd tell the dealer to take a hike.  Sounds like he's jerking you around and trying to squeeze you.  Besides, why pay someone to do something you can do yourself?    Instead of paying the dealer to setup, do it yourself and put the bux towards better gear.

Setting up an arm and cart is not rocket science.  It is not hoodoo voodoo nor as difficult as some like to make out.  You don't need a dealer or an "expert".  Make yourself into an expert.   Get your mounting distance correct, and you are halfway there.  Read up on how to use null points (to set offset angle and overhang), and how to set VTA and VTF.  Tons of info and free protractors available online.  I haven't checked but I bet there are even instructional videos on YouTube. 

That's how I learned.  Self taught.  Reading and understanding the concepts.  Noone did it for me, and noone showed me how.  It really isn't hard.  All it takes is confidence, patience, a lil effort, and a positive can-do attitude.  I get all my carts and arms to sing.  Always.

I'm happy to answer any further questions.  Good luck.

PS:  You'd likely get more eyes on this, and greater input, if you posted your question in Vinyl Circle rather than the Trading Post. 
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2015, 07:48 pm by sunnydaze »

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2015, 08:24 pm »
Thanks, I really appreciate the input.  The micro seiki was a cf-1.  Have been reading everything I can get on budget arms and have found some very helpful information.  will be posting in the vinyl circle soon.  Was hoping someone had a starter arm for sale. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2015, 09:18 pm »
There's an audio quest pt6 on AG now,  I'd look at that.  I believe this was a jelco 250,or very similar.   He's asking 299 'make offer' ,  so you can likely get it for less.   Includes cartridge,  dunno about the cable.

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2015, 06:41 pm »
The ONLY arm I have been able to find locally was a Micro Seiki(sp?), but the dealer has changed his mind and his price multiple times.  I really just want to get something entry level was thinking a rega or rega based arm.  Am open to suggestions and trying to pinch pennies.  Would appreciate your rock experiences and feedback and would really only look for something used.

The price on the dealer Micro Seiki arm was $175 plus whatever wire setup and another $125 to set it all up.  I was looking at an ort red cartridge at $100.  So that is the only option I have now, but would be interested in finding something else because the dealer has bumped his price on me twice.  Just don't want to deal with him now.  When I showed up the first day he said $150 for the arm and $100 for the cart and that they would set it up with the purchase of the pair.  Then it jumped to $175, plush the wires.  Then it jumped for the install/set up price. Total went from $250 to almost $500 for the same arm, so here I am.
[/u][/color]

To clear things up, I was looking at an arm at a local shop, what looked to be $150 arm on the phone turned out to be nearly $500 all said an done.  At a few hundred bucks, it seemed reasonable, but now I am rethinking my approach.  I have $500 in hand, that I wont be spending on the dealer arm, and have some extra money coming in from the sale of a cart via auction.  I will likely have closer to $800 total to invest, unless the cart price keeps going up. 

Sarchi

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2015, 12:59 am »
There's an audio quest pt6 on AG now,  I'd look at that.  I believe this was a jelco 250,or very similar.   He's asking 299 'make offer' ,  so you can likely get it for less.   Includes cartridge,  dunno about the cable.

+1 on the Aq PT-6, I just picked one up (for C$200) and it's a very nice arm. It is a Jelco SA250 variant (with a damping trough), but seems different from other variants I've seen, like for example the "Profile" arm that came on Revolver's 'tables-- that's also a 250, but is a unipivot(!). There's several versions of the Jelco out there and they all seem a little different. The Aq seems chunkier, and uses metal in more places. I think it has a little more mass maybe. Feels very solid and smooth, like the big brother 750's. p.s. last I checked the 250ST is less than $300 brand new! So don't overpay...

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2015, 08:20 pm »
Thanks for the vote for the aq and for the value info
  Where can i find one new?  What are you running it on?  Are you happy with it?

Sarchi

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2015, 09:39 pm »
I'll be using it on an Ariston RD11, which I haven't received yet. So I can't say 100%. But I've had other Jelco-made arms and they all gave excellent value. I think you can find their US dealers listed on the Sumiko website(?). Or just google Jelco dealers.