First Watt F6 Review / GR Research Encore XLS

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
First Watt F6 Review / GR Research Encore XLS
« on: 1 Apr 2015, 07:26 pm »
Hey gang,

Just posted a review of the First Watt F6 and Danny was kind enough to send over some Encores to toss into the mix. GREAT little speaker.

Check it out here if interested:

https://www.newrecordday.com/first-watt-f6-power-amplifier/

Ron

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: First Watt F6 Review / GR Research Encore XLS
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2015, 08:39 pm »
Fun review, Ron.

My wife interrupted it just five times during the not quite 14 minutes of your video. [I'll listen again when she's out of the house.] I'm going to listen to the XLS-Encores at a friend's home in 5 weeks. I'm looking forward to them.

Michael

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2015, 09:16 pm »
Ron,

Honestly the best thing about the review for me wasn't the F6. It was that you reviewed it. You had my attention for the full 14 minutes, no joke.

Great work :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2015, 09:21 pm »
Ron,

Honestly the best thing about the review for me wasn't the F6. It was that you reviewed it. You had my attention for the full 14 minutes, no joke.

Great work :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

That might be the best compliment ever. Thanks!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2015, 09:40 pm »
Nicely done Ron, thanks. I look forward to watching your reviews.

Mike

Austin08

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2015, 09:42 pm »
Very good review. could not take my eyes of the phone screen for 15min. (Imo, The Blue Salk looks awesome though) :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2015, 02:30 am »
Outstanding review done incredibly well, it really flowed and was easily understood.  Great avenger reference!

Thanks,
Ed

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2015, 03:55 am »
Hi Ron,
very well made review, thanks.
That review is a change from many boring reviews from other reviewers...

Guy 13

Ron

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2015, 03:33 pm »
   Your review was very good Ron. Honest, straight forward, and informative. Thanks for posting it. :thumb:

Ron

krustykat

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2015, 04:31 pm »
Nice review.  Your video skills are as good as the review  :thumb:

Oscillate

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2015, 08:01 pm »
Enjoyable review Ron :thumb:

I have owned Aleph J and F5 clones. The F5 was
particularily nice. 'Have often wondered how differently
the rest of the Pass Labs / First Watt amps might sound.

dynaflo

« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm »
Good information, polished presentation.  Well done!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2015, 11:27 pm »
Nice review.  $3500 seems like a lot for such a supposedly simple amp.

I would highly recommend isoacoustics stands for getting the most out of the speakers.  I brought a small pair over to my friend's place where he writes and records his own music.  After putting them under his studio monitors he noticed more detail in his own music and felt compelled to tweak the eq settings in one of his newer songs.  I'm not affiliated with Isoacoustics btw.  Just a very satisfied customer.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2015, 12:05 am »
If you build First Watt amps yourself its usually well under $1k.  I built mine from the parts pre-drilled and pre-cut from the diy.com store.  Chassis, circuit boards, jacks, binding posts, risers, they have it all.  I built 2 F5's and a Burning Amp BA-3 (which is basically an F4 with a gain stage in front of it).  I haven't heard the F6, but I do know the First Watt sound and it's the only SS amp (as a die-hard tube lover) that I could live with long term.  Well, that's not "quite" true - Odyssey, TAD, and Esoteric all make nice sounding amps, to my ears.

BK_856er

« Reply #14 on: 4 Apr 2015, 12:38 am »
The nice thing about the diyA authorized versions is that the power supply, casework and board mounting is common, so you can build them all for relatively low $$ and just swap out the boards.  Great way to experience variety on a (sorta) budget.  Casework and class A power supplies are the expensive pieces.  I have diy F6 and F5 Turbo amps partially finished.  Will initially use them to make my LGK sing.

BK

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #15 on: 4 Apr 2015, 12:45 am »
The nice thing about the diyA authorized versions is that the power supply, casework and board mounting is common, so you can build them all for relatively low $$ and just swap out the boards.  Great way to experience variety on a (sorta) budget.  Casework and class A power supplies are the expensive pieces.  I have diy F6 and F5 Turbo amps partially finished.  Will initially use them to make my LGK sing.

BK

Good points.

Sent you a pm.

Best,
Anand.

persisting1

« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:33 am »
Great review as always  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2015, 04:23 am »
If you build First Watt amps yourself its usually well under $1k.  I built mine from the parts pre-drilled and pre-cut from the diy.com store.  Chassis, circuit boards, jacks, binding posts, risers, they have it all.  I built 2 F5's and a Burning Amp BA-3 (which is basically an F4 with a gain stage in front of it).  I haven't heard the F6, but I do know the First Watt sound and it's the only SS amp (as a die-hard tube lover) that I could live with long term.  Well, that's not "quite" true - Odyssey, TAD, and Esoteric all make nice sounding amps, to my ears.

Maybe I don't know where to look but I can't find anything about amps at that link.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2015, 04:44 am »
Maybe I don't know where to look but I can't find anything about amps at that link.

Sorry, the diyaudio.com store - here's the direct link - http://www.diyaudio.com/store/

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2015, 03:22 am »

Thanks for the info.  I had looked at this stuff before but forgot about it.  Still too into tube gear but you never know.  100 watt mono blocks might be fun.  :wink: