Would one BatteryBUSS be enough to power a whole (small) system?

cpalcott

Like for instance, a Mac Mini, external hard drive and a DAC? Could a class D amp make it as well?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
I think as long as you have some BIG (100AH) batteries. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Like for instance, a Mac Mini, external hard drive and a DAC? Could a class D amp make it as well?
What Jason said.

The BatteryBUSS is a battery management device that routes clen power in various voltages to devices.  You would need additional outputs if you want to run the amp, but that is compeletly doable.  The other thing depends upon the Class D amp voltage requirement.

The BatteryBUSS outputs battery voltage through the main high current output (mac Mini) and has two smaller low current out puts (<5A) that have battery power and 5V regulated DC at each position.  The cabling to the gear determines the output voltage.

What DAC are you talking about?

I have both a 100AH Power Sonic with a Ctek 7002 charger for my main system and a Power Sonic 26AH battery with a Ctek 3300 charger in my workshop for testing and playback.  The 100AH is the deal.

Dave

cpalcott

I was considering the forthcoming Audiolabs MDAC. It will have an exrternal power supply connectd by Mini DIN (9W + Shield so 10 Conductors). The Pin arrangement is 3,4,2 (+ Outer Shield). MDAC:- +15V Analogue 500mA, -15V Analogue -150mA, +15V Digital +150mA. This is John Westlake's latest ESS Sabre32 design. DAC/Pre-amp like the Audiolab 8200CD/CDQ without the CD player.

I currently have a Wyred4Sound ST-500. Class D, therefore supposedly efficient.

Any concern about voltage fluctuation with these 100AH lead acid batteries?

face

Why would you want to power your ST-500 with a battery?  If there is any noise(buzz or hiss) coming through your speakers, it's not the amp.

cpalcott

I guess I assumed one would want as much of their system off the grid as possible without limiting current/dynamics. Is the consensus that there would be no benefit to running the amp off battery? That would be great. Would not have to get as big of battery and save me some money.

face

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
I was considering the forthcoming Audiolabs MDAC. It will have an exrternal power supply connectd by Mini DIN (9W + Shield so 10 Conductors). The Pin arrangement is 3,4,2 (+ Outer Shield). MDAC:- +15V Analogue 500mA, -15V Analogue -150mA, +15V Digital +150mA. This is John Westlake's latest ESS Sabre32 design. DAC/Pre-amp like the Audiolab 8200CD/CDQ without the CD player.

I currently have a Wyred4Sound ST-500. Class D, therefore supposedly efficient.

Any concern about voltage fluctuation with these 100AH lead acid batteries?
Hi, Chris.

The problem with getting battery power to a unit like the MDAC is the output section running a differential power supply with +/- voltages.  Makes it kind of hard to do so.

I have a couple of 41Hz T-amps here that take 22VDC which can be done with either a 24V or 2-12V batteries in series.  You can determine what the Wyred amp needs and see if it is worthwhile.

With a Ctek auto sensing charger attached to my batteries in maintenance mode (a 3300 on the 26AH and a 7002 on my 100AH) there is hardly any voltage swing.  I read the 26AH every day, perhaps several several times a day and it is always at 13.41-13.42VDC as measured with my trusty (crusty?) Fluke 87.  A good mid sized battery are the 32 and 45AH sizes, BTW.  My 100AH is rock solid with the 7002 charger and that Ctek charger is virtually silent in use.  I leave it attached constantly as I do the 3300 with the 26AH.  The 3300 is maybe, MAYBE a little noisier.  It is hard to tell when using it to power a Mach2 Music Server.

Sorry I wasn't quick on the draw with a reply.  I was out in the shop finishing up the enclosures for a RevB and some Ubers.   8)  Been hectic around here with a parade of house guests over the last couple of weeks.

Dave

HT cOz

Dave
Are there any problems running a Dodd buffer, switching ps for an amp, ldr vol control, and dac from the same battery?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Dave
Are there any problems running a Dodd buffer, switching ps for an amp, ldr vol control, and dac from the same battery?
Poissibly.  The Dodd Buffer has a DC/DC convertor onboard that is quiet in use with the Buffer, but "can" output some noise back down the line.  I am just about finished with a battery cable/trap assembly that takes care of this.  It is 14ga with aPowerCon on the buffer end and ring tongues (or other connector by request) on the battery or BatteryBUSS end.  It seems like the Buffer power supply is OK in use as long as there is not another switcher in the equation.  We first noticed this with the Mac Mini when it was powered by its' switcher.

Dave

praedet

I am running a Class D Amp, A Dodd Buffer, an Alix music server, and a MF V-Link off my BatteryBUSS fed by a Kinetik HCA1400 SLA battery with NO problems...

Ted

mboxler

I am running a Class D Amp, A Dodd Buffer, an Alix music server, and a MF V-Link off my BatteryBUSS fed by a Kinetik HCA1400 SLA battery with NO problems...

Ted

Ted...

Did the BatteryBUSS eliminate the turn on/turn off DC offset issue?  I have to turn the Dodd buffer on before the CDA-224 amp, and turn the buffer off after turning off the amp, or I get a loud pop through my speakers.

Mike

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Ted...

Did the BatteryBUSS eliminate the turn on/turn off DC offset issue?  I have to turn the Dodd buffer on before the CDA-224 amp, and turn the buffer off after turning off the amp, or I get a loud pop through my speakers.

Mike
There is no substitute for doing the proper turn on/turn off sequence.  That is standard procedure for turning on audio gear that does not have DC servos on the outputs.

The BatteryBUSS is a battery power management device.  Its' functions are to remove sulfation noise from DC, provide a very low output impedance and to give battery power outputs as well as other voltages for different pieces of gear... 5VDC in particular - although other voltages are available.

Thumps is thumps  :|

edit.  I had a thought (ta-daaaaaaa!) - you "might" be able to eliminate the pop by wiring a .01 - .1ufd cap across the on-off switch in the buffer.  It's worth a try.

Dave

mboxler

There is no substitute for doing the proper turn on/turn off sequence.  That is standard procedure for turning on audio gear that does not have DC servos on the outputs.

The BatteryBUSS is a battery power management device.  Its' functions are to remove sulfation noise from DC, provide a very low output impedance and to give battery power outputs as well as other voltages for different pieces of gear... 5VDC in particular - although other voltages are available.

Thumps is thumps  :|

edit.  I had a thought (ta-daaaaaaa!) - you "might" be able to eliminate the pop by wiring a .01 - .1ufd cap across the on-off switch in the buffer.  It's worth a try.

Dave

Thanks, Dave

I'm new to this stuff (obviously), and have discovered that "with great sound comes great responsibility".  I'll run this mod past Gary.

Mike

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Thanks, Dave

I'm new to this stuff (obviously), and have discovered that "with great sound comes great responsibility".  I'll run this mod past Gary.

Mike
That is funny!!! I like it  :thumb:

Let us all know what he says.

Dave

Cheeseboy

That is funny