Trip To Magnepan

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Trip To Magnepan
« Reply #60 on: 22 Nov 2014, 03:18 pm »
I suspect that they were suitably horrified by the list which is why they're maintaining radio silence.

Davey

« Reply #61 on: 22 Nov 2014, 03:31 pm »
I just don't think he cares.  :)
Weirdo's on audio forums are just a nuisance and at the bottom of his to-do list.

Dave.

jk@home

« Reply #62 on: 22 Nov 2014, 03:37 pm »
Yeah, I remember the time he posted on the MUG, and folks there questioned his authenticity and pretty much gave him the boot. Don't blame him.

Anyway, the way he has treated the whole "I" upgrade issue should put the nail in the coffin regarding his PR sKills and info to the public.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #63 on: 22 Nov 2014, 04:10 pm »
Heck, we don't even know what the "i" stands for.
It's kind of like that weird eyeball floating above the truncated pyramid on a dollar bill.

Davey

« Reply #64 on: 22 Nov 2014, 04:38 pm »
I can sort of understand it.  If you start taking questions from audiophiles pretty soon they're asking all sorts of off-the-wall queries about power cords and interconnects and whatever.  :)  There's so much self-deception going on in this industry that separating legitimate questions from the nonsense would become an issue.

It must be nice to be a PR guy for a company so well established that it doesn't need a PR guy.  :)

Dave.

brooklyn

« Reply #65 on: 22 Nov 2014, 05:17 pm »
I just don't think he cares.  :)
Weirdo's on audio forums are just a nuisance and at the bottom of his to-do list.

Dave.

Hey, we aren’t audio forum weirdo’s, we bought into the Magnepan experience so I think we
should be called audiophile associates. :D On the other hand, it was a rather long list.

rw@cn

« Reply #66 on: 22 Nov 2014, 05:37 pm »
I am getting ready to upgrade from my 1.7s and I don't think Magnepan will get my business. 

Maritan

« Reply #67 on: 22 Nov 2014, 05:39 pm »
rw@cn - Why's that? Because they didn't answer the questions? Or something else? Just curious.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:47 pm »
The arrival of the 3.8 two days after you buy your 3.7i's?

audio.bill

« Reply #69 on: 24 Nov 2014, 12:37 am »
Just to be fair, all companies introduce new models periodically. Historically Magnepan's typical product lifespan has been many years and is longer than most competitors. The 3.7i is the first time that they came out with an "upgrade" to an existing model in a shorter time than they usually do. As a result they decided to offer the option to existing customers of having the change retrofitted to their speakers. I don't see why this would or should prevent anyone from buying their speakers, since they are almost universally claimed to offer an exceptional value in the marketplace if you enjoy their sound. They also retain an unusually high value in the used marketplace. I realize that a lot of us would like them to be more open and transparent about certain aspects of their operation and what the ".i upgrade" actually consists of, but that is their choice and the way that they choose to operate their business. Anyway, that's my take on the situation and I realize that many others here will disagree.

rw@cn

« Reply #70 on: 24 Nov 2014, 02:04 pm »
rw@cn - Why's that? Because they didn't answer the questions? Or something else? Just curious.

The product is great, the company (or at least the spokesperson for the company) IMHO seems to be antiquated. This is 2014 not 1996 and things like attitude, responsiveness and the manner in which you treat your customers are important to me.

Waker

« Reply #71 on: 25 Nov 2014, 01:59 am »
Thanks Audio.Bill---you got it right in describing a company and product that offers the best sounding speakers of their type for a bargain price.  Considering the potential for better sound by using better parts and the many modifications done, there are probably a few different "improved" versions Magnepan could offer, so when they do offer an "i" version of their latest model, should there be any surprises there?  It may be frustrating to think you don't have the best version of the the 3.7, or that there is nothing between the 3.7 and the 20.7, but, like computers, you have to jump in somewhere, even when what you are buying will be surpassed in six months.  Maggie's hold their "sound value" much longer than their rather lengthy model cycles.  A classic Maggie will have outlasted the owner's listening window of good hearing.  A lot of us will be old before our Maggies are considered old.  What is the point in worrying about what you have now? Just listen to them--enjoy them--they are what you have right now, in this moment. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 26 Nov 2014, 12:00 am »
Not quite what I was expecting but here's the answer to our questions I sent up several months ago:

However, I will respond to
  one persistent issue about new models that continues to come
  up. (This is the same response that I have given countless
  times over the phone.)
  Our position has been the
  same for the 1.7, 3.7, 20.7, 3.7i and .7 (and will be for
  future new models). A new model must pass a blind listening
  test. Our listening panel is comprised of audiophiles and
  non-audiophiles.
  We decline to discuss the
  specific changes to the product or the sonic benefits.
  Rather than engage is superlatives, we prefer to let the
  reviewers comment. It is interesting that they rarely miss
  an improvement that we know is there. And even more
  interesting (to date) no reviewer has attributed an
  improvement that is not present in the new model. We believe
  that consumers prefer a third party's opinion to
  manufacturer's hype. It is conservative, but that is
  what we are.

In all fairness to Wendell, he's trying to go up there but I'm only available during the warmest months of the year due to one of my other hobbies which would be reptiles.  They can't very well fend for themselves and my wife, for all of her good points, is NOT going to take care of anything with sharp teeth other than myself and the dog.

tatcom

« Reply #73 on: 21 Dec 2014, 05:51 pm »
I read into this topic based on the subject but after reading through all the comments it might come as off topic: are there any regular visits / factory tours to Magnepan?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 22 Dec 2014, 10:26 pm »
I'd say give them a buzz and see if they'll show you around.
The worst they can do is say no.

josh358

« Reply #75 on: 18 Jan 2015, 02:56 am »
I updated the list with a few questions of my own.

I know the answer to a few of these, or think I do . . .

3) What happens if I ditch the fuses and why do you use the fuse holders that you do?

Mark Winey said he runs his 3.7's without the fuses, and says there's a slight increase in transparency. (At which point the ever-skeptical Wendell asked him if he'd tried it in a blind test.) However, he warns that you have to know what you're doing or you can blow up your speakers! Which of course is why the fuses are there.

4) Quality Assurance process

They have a dedicated QC facility where they test the speakers that go out and they were filling a QC engineering position when I was there. Of course I was only there briefly but wearing my engineering hat for a moment, I'd say that the manufacturing operation seemed well-managed and very professional. This is not a large company but neither is it a garage operation. They also address QC problems in R&D, for example, Mark, who is an engineer, led the engineering effort that resulted in the improved adhesives that solved the delamination problem and they used a company that does life cycle testing to verify the result. They say they haven't seen a single case of delam since they changed to the new adhesives.

11) no model between the 1.7 and 3.7, no model between the 3.7 and 20.7?

They used to have an intermediate model -- the 2.x -- but apparently it wasn't different enough from the 3.x so they stopped making it. Not sure what they'd put between the 3.7's and 20.7's?

13) crates for shipping?  how much shipping damage do they see?

Wendell told me that they came up with an inexpensive crating option and no one was interested!

16) new Tympani model?

Mark told me that a final decision hadn't been made, though that was a while back. They were definitely considering it.

23) why MDF?

If you look back years ago when they went from wood to MDF, there was a brief discussion about it in one of the magazines. I don't remember the details or I'd fill you in, maybe someone else can. But of course it's been a popular baffle material. Jim Winey is also on record as saying that metal would be better, but of course that would add substantially to the cost, as would other exotic materials that are sometimes used in planar baffles.

24) why the dearth of information regarding what has changed from the older model to the newer model(s)?

Sometimes, trade secrets are involved. Forex the clever 2.5-way arrangement in the 1.7, which we know about because Peter Gunn opened one up and drew a schematic. Wendell also dislikes marketing on the basis of meaningless specs and impressive-sounding components that don't do anything. He believes that people should buy on the basis of sonics, and that third party reviewers do a good job of hearing the differences.

27) what do you see as the biggest challenge to planar speakers in the future other than a shrinking dealer network?

By chance, Wendell addressed this issue with some of us today in an email discussing the positive .7 show reports: "Dealers tell me that floor-standing speakers continue to decline in market share. Blue Tooth speakers are becoming the McDonalds equivalent and are taking over a huge part of the market. They are small, easy to use and sound quite good (considering). That puts a lot of pressure on high-end speakers to have a cost/benefit ratio that will motivate customers."

Well, the answer is a Bluetooth Tympani, of course. :-)

31) will we see the all foil MMG that was thrown out to the inmates on Audio Asylum?

It seems they decided that it was too expensive to give the MMG a quasi-ribbon woofer. But the .7 would seem to be close.

32) what do the big 3 (two Winey, one Diller) use for their own personal stereo systems?

Jim has 20.7's in a surround system; when I spoke to him, he was raving about the Ayre DAC and had been experimenting with Audyssey because people had been asking about whether it worked with Maggies (it does). Mark has 3.7's at home and Mini Maggies in his office, which sounded spectacular when I heard them. Funny, but I've never asked what Wendell has!

35) actual dipole subwoofer (not just the DMW)

I can't answer this one but it's funny that you mention it since I was wondering yesterday whether you could make an H-frame dipole line source quasi-ribbon woofer, a column that would sit against the side wall.

Robin Hood

« Reply #76 on: 19 Jan 2015, 12:16 am »
Josh,

Thanks for your answers. I think the success of the DWMs and Mini Maggies provide a model path that Magnepan could use for future speakers. Separate or modular panels that the end user could tailor to his/her space, budget and preference.  A quasi-ribbon tweeter on the low end, true-ribbon tweeter on the high end, quasi-ribbon midrange and stacked DWMs are possible additions to the Magnepan product line. Ribbon lengths could be 36",48", 60" or 72" or whatever Magnepan optimums determines to be best.

With modular panels you could have your model between the 1.7 and 3.7 or model between the 3.7 and 20.7. With modular panels you could build your Tympanis. With modular panels you could bi-amp, tri-amp or upgrade your crossover caps.  Modular panels will eliminate vibrations between tweeter and woofer sharing the same frame. With modular panels you could upgrade as budget and space allows or downgrade when you have to move into a smaller space.  With modular panels you might be able to take a large Tympani to create two smaller Maggies. Finally modular panels will permit lower initial costs and easier/lower shipping costs.

josh358

« Reply #77 on: 19 Jan 2015, 12:39 am »
I agree 900%. A high end modular panel with a true ribbon tweeter and response down to 80 Hz could be used in all sorts of configurations, with dynamic subs where space is limited, or DWM's, or full-sized bass panels for a Tympani. And it would fill a hole for those who want high end sound but lack space or have WAF problems. Not an immense market, maybe, like the market for the MMG or 1.7, but judging by comments people have made it exist, in fact, I think the most-asked question on these groups "Do you think I can fit a [insert model here] in my room"?

I think they did sell an early Tympani in a modular form along these lines and they're definitely aware of the idea.

I think a true ribbon on-wall would be cool as well, and I remember reading about rumors of one years ago, but no one seems to want to consider the on-walls for two-channel audio even though they've gotten rave reviews and in tight quarters could sound better than a quasi-ribbon floorstander. My theory is that rather than making them inconspicuous they should put a big grille cloth box around them so they look huge and impressive!

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #78 on: 20 Jan 2015, 12:06 pm »
I think they did sell an early Tympani in a modular form along these lines and they're definitely aware of the idea.

Yes, there were Tympanis sold as "modules". The Tympani IIIA-TM (tweeter/midrange), two hinged panels each side. The Tympani WA (bass), four hinged panels. If you bought the whole set they called it Tympani IIIA.

The TM-panels could even be used on their own, bass like MG-2 then. I did so for a while.

Yes, I still have the Tympani IIIA, now stored in my garage.

josh358

« Reply #79 on: 20 Jan 2015, 03:49 pm »

Yes, there were Tympanis sold as "modules". The Tympani IIIA-TM (tweeter/midrange), two hinged panels each side. The Tympani WA (bass), four hinged panels. If you bought the whole set they called it Tympani IIIA.

The TM-panels could even be used on their own, bass like MG-2 then. I did so for a while.

Yes, I still have the Tympani IIIA, now stored in my garage.
I've been thinking of trying an arrangement like that with my IVa's, join the midbass and mid-tweeter panels and then put the low bass panels together against a wall, crossed over at 80 or 100 Hz. I'd lose some SPL but it's hard fitting IVA's in a room with a projection screen!