Recent hi-res purchases worthy of special mention

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
Recent hi-res purchases worthy of special mention
« on: 28 Apr 2015, 07:51 pm »
Amazon.com have been getting the occasional OOP copy of Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain on Superdisc DVD which contains the Monster Music DTS/DD 5.1 mixes (and hi res 96/24 stereo track) and is currently available for $19.98 plus s/h, which for me came to £17.78 delivered. Even if it goes out of stock however, keep checking because it's being doing the hokey cokey; in, out, in, out...
http://www.amazon.com/Sketches-Spain-SuperDisc-Miles-Davis/dp/B009XIIO4Y

I received my copy yesterday and the 5.1 mix (albeit in 4.0 as per my speaker setup) is very discrete! It took me three attempts to listen to Sketches of Spain in surround last night, but I got there in the end.

Take 1. Play at modest volume then after a few minutes into Track 1, decide it needs to be played at boogie volume; start again.

Take 2. Now playing at boogie volume then after a few minutes into Track 1, decide the lights needs to dimmed to immersively dim; start again.

Take 3. Ola señorita, habla Espanyol? Bello angél, hubba hubba!?

OK, I didn't really become fluent in Spanish and nor was I transported to Spain, but I was mightily impressed with the surround mix. Apparently the surround mix is intended to make the listener feel like they're in the middle of the band and according to the liner notes for this release, the mixers did this by examining photos of the recording sessions and routing audio accordingly. As well as having a very exciting and realistic surround mix, the sound of the music is first class too because the timbre of Davis' trumpet and indeed the other instruments is superb.

I reckon if this OOP release isn't repressed, it'll easily become a rare and expensive collectible, but at £17.78 delivered from AmazonUS, that's what I call a bargain :)

windhoek

Re: Hi-res releases worthy of mention
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2015, 07:52 pm »
Also worthy of mention is the one piano-four hands performance of The Planets by Zoforbit (or Zofo as they're more commonly known) because by Jupiter, it's absolutely fantastic! I'm frankly amazed this type of performance isn't as well known as the orchestral version because just as The Beatles were originally meant to be heard in Mono, Holst originally scored The Planets for one piano-four hands or two pianos (each with one pianist). It might not have the full impact of the orchestral version, by it's very dynamic and engaging nevertheless and unquestionably is, The Planets; no ifs, no buts!

The audio options on the BDA (fwiw, it also comes with a CD) include 2.0 PCM and 5.0/7.0 DTS HD-MA and was recorded @ 24/192 and although the m/c track is of the atmospheric type, it works well. If you like The Planets, I can't recommend it highly enough because although there are probably some performances of The Planets which are transcendently awful, Zofo's is awfully transcendental. More than that however, it's astronomical :)

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2015, 08:04 pm »
I picked up this about a month ago - http://www.audite.de/en/product/SACD/92669-grieg_complete_symphonic_works_vol_iii_aadland.html

Wonderful dynamics and first rate sound

mav52

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2015, 03:09 pm »
I picked up this about a month ago - http://www.audite.de/en/product/SACD/92669-grieg_complete_symphonic_works_vol_iii_aadland.html

Very nice Phil..   I like it.   

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2015, 03:19 pm »

Phil,
Did you get the SACD of the HiRez download of the recording/

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2015, 05:14 pm »
Phil,

Rich - got the SACD and ripped the DSD file (sounds great on both the MS-2 and the MS-3).

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2015, 05:17 pm »
Phil,

PS - with those subs you're building some of the dynamics will come with a free massage :green:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Recent hi-res purchases worthy of special mention
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2015, 06:37 pm »
I want to see if I can set off the east coast seismic detectors.   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2015, 06:47 pm »

If I end up in a sink hole, I'll know who to blame :green: (In reality the sink holes are problems in other parts of FL though)

windhoek

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:12 pm »

You must have huge subs/speakers to rumble the east coast because it's a long way from a tectonic boundary lol, but even so, it's worth a shot, right!? :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:22 pm »
There was an earthquake here a few years ago.  There are seismic detectors in the area. 

Here is one of the 6x12" sub columns.

Want to hear the recording Phil posted on these once they are done.

windhoek

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:26 pm »
Yep, they just might register on the local USGS seismographs lol; thank goodness I'm on the other side of the Atlantic at a (hopefully) safe distance :)

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:38 pm »
I can tell you some of the parts of the recording I recommended are really dynamic.  In the main system (where I use HAL's MS-2 music server with a Meitner DAC - pic below), I have two Rel Storm III subs crossed over at 22 Hz.  My secondary main music system (2nd pic below) has HAL's MS-3 music server with a Teac DAC and a Rel Strata III sub and the room is not huge (small bedroom) and it is a really nice recording.

windhoek

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2015, 08:13 pm »
On your systems Phil, I'm sure everything sounds really dynamic! Looks great :)

windhoek

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2015, 08:19 pm »
I've not had a lot of exposure to Grieg's music, but just played a real Mahler treat. It's the BD-Audio of Antoni Wit/Warsaw Phil. Choir and Orchestra and has very progressive surround mix. Ripped of course for playback via my Mac Mini :)

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2015, 08:22 pm »
On your systems Phil, I'm sure everything sounds really dynamic! Looks great :)

Thanks!

windhoek

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2015, 08:18 pm »
I received my Mahler 1-7 Abbado/ Lucerne BD-V set today and just played Symphony No. 5 and wow, what a cracker! It's the first time I've heard the M5, but it sure as hell won't be the last. Next time though, I might just play audio without the video (it's already ripped via MakeMKV) , but then again might not because Abbado's such an expressive conductor, seeing him in action adds to the experience.

windhoek

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2015, 02:07 pm »
I just watched Mahler's 2nd as performed by Abbado/Lucerne and it blew my mind! As the symphony drew to a close, I could feel my heart beating wildly and tears welled up in my eyes. Can there really be a better performance of this mighty symphony? Possibly maybe, probably no. For any Mahler fans with a BDP player hooked up to their system and/or a computer (with the BD-V ripped for playback), this Abbado/Lucerne BD-V set of Mahler symphonies is outstanding and a no brainer to buy.

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2015, 02:32 pm »
I love the 2nd  - have a few different versions.

windhoek

« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2015, 04:14 pm »
Yeah it's an immense symphony and with this BD-V release, as well as hearing a great performance, I got to see a great performance. I was tempted to turn off the display, but seeing the conductor and orchestra at work really adds to the experience. I thought it might be distracting, but far from it, I love it!

The other M2 versions I've heard are the recent Benjamin Zander's (on SACD, Linn label), Metha/ Vienna PO (SHM-SACD) and MTT and the Abbado/ Lucerne performance is so much better. The word that springs to mind is vim. Abbado/Lucerne perform with a vim that I've yet to hear in any other performance. I guess in the US, this release might be between $80-$100 new, but if you've got a TV in your setup, it's a bargain and an obligatory buy :)