Habitat for Humanity...

Triode Pete

Habitat for Humanity...
« on: 6 Aug 2016, 12:43 am »
I spent the entire day today volunteering building a home for "Habitat for Humanity"...

It was extremely gratifying, especially for a great cause... I highly recommend it to anyone looking to help others in need... But it can be very physically exhausting; a lot tougher than making cables!  :lol: I started the morning with a large cup of "joe" and drank at least 8 large bottles of water & electrolytic drinks throughout the day... didn't use the "head" until I got back home late this afternoon... talk about sweat & dehydration!

Cheers,
Pete

ACHiPo

Re: Habitat for Humanity...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2016, 03:55 am »
Pete,
I always suspected you were a mensch.  This confirms it!   :thumb:

I'm a big fan of this "charity" (quotes as while there is charity involved, there is also significant sweat equity)

Good job man!
AC

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2016, 04:14 am »
Pete, there should be more man like you.

Guy 13

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2016, 11:05 am »
Have worked on 3 H4H houses but the biggest challenge is the social work.  Most who qualify for a house have messed up lives and don't know how to manage their lives let alone money.  2 of 3 were single moms who really couldn't afford to put in the 500 hours of required sweat equity and had kids from obviously different fathers (apparently 1 of which moved in before the open house but hadn't invested any sweat).  Neither they or the the 3rd couple were married (definitely not the H4H way).  And one night our work was called off due to shootings in the immediate area.

A close friend helped do minor repairs of existing H4H houses.  One involved replacing the front door and master bedroom door after the boyfriend was released from jail and came after his girlfriend.  Fortunately the police got there before he beat her up (but after he'd kicked both doors in, she'd added a dead bolt to the master bedroom door knowing his violent tendencies).

With the right future homeowners the concept is solid: decent housing for a 20 year zero interest mortgage (the sweat equity is the only required down payment).  I houses I worked on had monthly payments of 1/4 of what my rent on a 2 bedroom apartment was.

Triode Pete

« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2016, 12:28 pm »
Have worked on 3 H4H houses but the biggest challenge is the social work.  Most who qualify for a house have messed up lives and don't know how to manage their lives let alone money.  2 of 3 were single moms who really couldn't afford to put in the 500 hours of required sweat equity and had kids from obviously different fathers (apparently 1 of which moved in before the open house but hadn't invested any sweat).  Neither they or the the 3rd couple were married (definitely not the H4H way).  And one night our work was called off due to shootings in the immediate area.

A close friend helped do minor repairs of existing H4H houses.  One involved replacing the front door and master bedroom door after the boyfriend was released from jail and came after his girlfriend.  Fortunately the police got there before he beat her up (but after he'd kicked both doors in, she'd added a dead bolt to the master bedroom door knowing his violent tendencies).

With the right future homeowners the concept is solid: decent housing for a 20 year zero interest mortgage (the sweat equity is the only required down payment).  I houses I worked on had monthly payments of 1/4 of what my rent on a 2 bedroom apartment was.

This home was built in the neighborhood where NBA Legend "Dr. J" (Julius Erving) grew-up... A bit of a tough neighborhood but getting better every day!

I had lunch with the the new owner of the H4H home. She was young (mid-20's), single & smart. She was living in a small 1 bedroom apartment, taking care of her abandoned, very young niece and her younger brother. You could tell she was a hard-working individual (who was trying save money) with the "right stuff". You wish more "kids" her age had their act together like her and cared about people so much...

Her monthly rent on her small apartment (in a nice neighborhood) would be the same as her new monthly mortgage payment. Everyone at the job site felt encouraged by her optimism & outlook on life.

Once again, it was a very gratifying day!

Cheers,
Pete

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2016, 12:52 pm »
Nice job Pete!   :thumb:

At work they starting giving us 3 paid days off a year to do volunteer work.

We have done H4H, soup kitchens/pantries, and shelter work.

Each time it has been a very rewarding experience.

George

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2016, 03:12 pm »
Good to hear Pete.  Maybe my town had saturated the good H4H candidates (hard to believe).  Note that our local chapter also had some problems running the construction projects.

H4H does hold on to the title and provides financial counseling for the first year of occupancy. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2016, 03:18 pm »
Good job Pete.

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2016, 06:25 pm »
Excellent work, Pete.    :thumb: