1000a

Re: Promitheus DAC anyone?
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2007, 12:54 pm »
 :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

tanchiro58

« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2007, 09:33 pm »
1000a,

There are no news so far. Nick told me he will send mine out on Friday last week(they have just built half way?). Hopefully I will get it by this week but not sure!!!! :sleep:

Tan

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2007, 03:06 am »
Anyone recieved their unit yet?

Biggie.

anthony a.

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2007, 10:49 pm »
any updates? 

tanchiro58

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2007, 11:08 pm »
I do not receive mine yet and do not know what is happened? It has been one month and 21 days already. Ask rollo maybe you find out something!!??

highdfever

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2007, 06:34 pm »
Me too,  Nic said still have some trouble with the labeling/engraving.   

Hi Nic,  any good news for us?   

tanchiro58

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jun 2007, 08:03 pm »
Hi Gents,

I got the Promitheus DAC today and will bring it home to fire it up tonite. Inside the DAC it is looked very professional handcraft and installation. I have a copper wire wounded pulse transformer (even though I ordered the silver wired one) on both BNC and RCA digital connection through a switch. There is no on/off switch and light indicator (based on Nick opinion without them the DAC sounds better). Let see how the DAC sounds and I will let you know before and after 100 hours break-in time. :D

Tan

anthony a.

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2007, 01:48 am »
pics, pics, pics... lets see.

btw, do you have a paradisea to compare it to?

tanchiro58

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jun 2007, 05:09 am »
I am listening to the DAC right now. I will take pictures later on and will do comparison next week with F100 Paradisea (I do not have Paradisea). The Promitheus DAC should have 100 hours breaking in. So far I am impressed with warm rounded with details in midrange. It needs to have a deep firm punchy bass after breaking in and with some tweaks like footers according to Nicholas.

Tan

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2007, 05:41 am »
Tanchiro58,

Glad to hear its in the house. Let it burn in for the same time as TVC. The trannies are very similar and require about 400 Hrs. This sucks as we all know but worth every minute of time. Even with 30 Hrs on it compared to the Paradisea with WE 396 the Promitheus clearly was better.

good luck and Enjoy!

rollo

1000a

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2007, 08:35 am »
I am glad it finally showed up, long wait. was it 2 months? :scratch:

Anyway I am thrilled you got yours I wish I had ordered the base model a while back but I let the endless improvements mentioned online keep me from ordering either the TVC or DAC.  I ordered a monarchy NM24 that has a SS DAC and a Tube DAC in it so I can run just my powered sub with the SS DAC and the mid to top with the tube DAC.

So I can not wait to hear your feed back on the Promi DAC, keep us posted with any feeling you get even before full burn in.

On another thread I will do a full report on the NM24, I am sure people will have some interest in this one also.  God I hope I am not a person about to have 3-4 DACs and then lose $$ selling the non keepers on agon. :duh:

I am starting to break my own guide to audio - maximize my $$$ (get the 95%), I have got my system really dialed in w room treatments and such and my used Birdland Odeon Lite I have had since 2002 does not disappoint me in the least.  Everthing really sounds incredibly good.  Lots air, great bass, detail, punch, large stage, and musical, so why did I just spend $$, I guess I gotta find out am I really near that 95% or still a good deal off.

I will know shortly! Once that law of diminising returns kicks in strongly, I really don't like spending stupid $$!  Maybe the base SS DAC and base TVC would have been the way to fly, as long as I stay off the audio forums I could keep them 4 yrs check back in and replace with the latest base model.

I am turning into one of those people :?

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2007, 09:00 am by 1000a »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2007, 08:51 am »
1000a.....
This may be of interest to you....LINK...... :thumb:

1000a

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jun 2007, 09:02 am »
HeY Wolf

Thats exactly why I jumped

lonewolfny42

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jun 2007, 09:09 am »
Nothing wrong with having a few DAC's.... 8)
They really all do sound different....a nice variety for whatever your mood.... :thumb:

1000a

« Reply #34 on: 21 Jun 2007, 09:12 am »
Plus the Altmann GB seems to be 5% off :(,

Also I read extensively on Lynn Olson's website, he seems to really really know his stuff.
His rev. of the M24 is pretty exciting, so I guess I am exploring.  No free lunch can't explore without food!

So I am simply doing what everybody does taking a chance and listening for myself. :o

the bird was my first so I am probably in the small spenders group :lol:

thanks for the link,

lonewolfny42

« Reply #35 on: 21 Jun 2007, 09:19 am »
1000a....
So I am simply doing what everybody does taking a chance and listening for myself.
Good.....thats the way to do it...happy listening.... :thumb:

highdfever

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jun 2007, 07:37 pm »
Hi tanchiro58

"So far I am impressed with warm rounded with details in midrange. It needs to have a deep firm punchy bass after breaking in and with some tweaks like footers according to Nicholas"

Are you meaning that this DAC tends to a warm and soft side?  Not punchy enough from some rock/dynamic music?  How about the definition and soundstage? 

How does it compare to your modded MHDT Renaissance II?

Since you have got your DAC,  I believe my Apollo and DAC will be arrived soon.   :D

Andis

anubisgrau

« Reply #37 on: 22 Jun 2007, 09:36 pm »

?! can you elaborate, i don't get it

1000a

« Reply #38 on: 22 Jun 2007, 09:45 pm »

?! can you elaborate, i don't get it

Hi anubisgrau, sorry

What that refers to is there were or are a group (GB- group buy) who were trying to do  a group buy on the Altmann attraction DAC hoping to save some money, (at least 15% off) but as I read the thread it turned out with shipping hassels the most they could save was maybe 5% off per DAC.  I believe by the time I did the battery and the minimum options I wanted it was 1500+ minimum and then shipping.

I hope this makes sense, the 2 on my short list were the Altmann and the Promi tube DAC.

1000a

« Reply #39 on: 22 Jun 2007, 10:16 pm »
I posted this on the Paradisia thread, in response to something-anyway I think it makes sense over here also, Go Nick :D  (updated slightly)

this only realtes to 2 channel audio-what they are doing in HT world, could not tell ya.

Well Tan has the Promi DAC in his system and is burning it in now so we who are always curious and searching will be enlightened shortly on an extremely affordable NOS SS DAC that should be quite excellent. it should certainly be seriously an easily considered.

I have been using a Birdland since 2002 that is an Up-sampler, that I have been quite pleased with it bumps 16/44 k to 24/96.  But it has been my only external DAC so I have not heard the others yet- so my research has been limited to reading others feelings on the sound of the different ones.  But I have put in effort trying to have a basic understanding of how they work or at least the intension behind them.

I am trying an Oversampler this time and in short order and I have every intention to also try a NOS DAC in the future, that way i can have a good feel for how they each sound to my ears.

Oversamplers do not bring 16/44 up to 24/96, its just a different design than NOS its goal is the same more pure - get back to our roots kinda thing.  the 2 camps will argue their respective positions I will let my ears pick my gear.  Any of the 3 can sound good it depends on implimentation and design.   

The promi is low risk, super price and if its Nicks I am sure it sounds quite good, doubt few people but the very pickiest would be disappointed.

1-early CDPs were NOS 1982 about

2-nxt gen were Oversamplers i believe these began in 1985ish
(x2,x4,x8 oversample to help improve the the sound)

3-then came the Upsamplers (as a reaction to the seeming DVD-A and SACD revolution to bump 16/44 CDS to 24/96 to maybe sound as good as the new formats), some love it some don't.

Some experts say a transport for DVD-A and SACD is really not at all optimal for CD sound, for what thats worth, although they are available and on the highend also. Everything REdbook/CD now is being reavaluated cause Up-sample DACs were a reaction to SACD/DVD-A, which most agree by this time is essentially a failure, not bad sound but company wars and few music choices have taken a large toll.

Now we are in the best time of all a true vortex and a crossroads where many have found really good redbook/cd can be better than DVD-A or SACD (it had potential it looks like a Betamax kind of market problem and with this its still so new we have not even learned to begin taping the possibilities there cause with the new formats came new bigger more difficult math problems, and the CD math problems have still yet to be really well solved).  So now really good designers are using any of the 3 DACs but from a different vantage point.  They all have the window of history and all the accumilated knowledge/experince and even newer technology to re-explore with and implimiment from. 

So the NOS of today is not the NOS of 1982-3, its cutting edge and the oversampling today is also much better informed also. they all sound different and anyone of them can sound very good. its a party, not a problem :D

From what i understand many get Up and Oversample confused (my self included, hense this post as a check point, I am sure I do not have this perfect) they are similar very losely in technique - application in the math of the design (which is infact quite complex is also different), but the intended outcomes are quite different, no matter the math. 1- (upsample) to get to 24/96 from 16/44  2- (oversample) - to rec what ever comes in the door and spit it out at the same type of #'s (despite messing w it).  3-(nos) has the same goal as #2.

Few people agree whats better, so there is no better.  From the really expensive stuff, one company Dodson uses I believe at one point at least both Over and Upsampling in the same DAC, Levinson generally uses Oversampling and Audio Note uses NOS w transformers (like Nick's DACs)in their really good stuff, all can work well, depends on who's driving the buss. 

The really interesting thing I am waiting to hear is how the Promi SS NOS (using Trannies in its design) compares to the SS NOS Altmann (which could be considered extremely pure in its design).

Many agree the Altmann is incredibley good, smooth analogue and is killing lots of compititors up to 3,000. quite easily.  So will the 340. Promi SS NOS kill the 1,500. Altmann SS NOS (guessing the price here). For me this will be the test. Its the super bowl for the budget audiofile. 

Hope all this helps rather than confuses- that was my intention, I am trying to get a simple working understanding of each, for my own clarity.  OK carefull with those's :flame:'s     this is how I understand it, thus far.

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2007, 10:35 pm by 1000a »