Sub pre out on the HD-AVP

sac8d4

Sub pre out on the HD-AVP
« on: 8 Aug 2016, 12:27 am »
Anyone familiar with the NuPrime HD-AVP's sub pre out? Can anyone comment on if the sub pre out can be configured to be active with 2.0 content?

John Casler

Re: Sub pre out on the HD-AVP
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2016, 01:24 am »
Anyone familiar with the NuPrime HD-AVP's sub pre out? Can anyone comment on if the sub pre out can be configured to be active with 2.0 content?

Here is the "simple answer".  Found in the FAQ's

sac8d4

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2016, 02:16 am »
Thanks John....I thought I read it somewhere but I couldn't remember where.

sac8d4

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2016, 08:05 pm »
John,

Since you have had experience with both the Nuforce MCP-18 and the NuPrime HD-AVP, I am interested in hearing your thoughts on how the analog paths compare sonically?

Sac8d4

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2016, 08:16 pm »
John,

Since you have had experience with both the Nuforce MCP-18 and the NuPrime HD-AVP, I am interested in hearing your thoughts on how the analog paths compare sonically?

Sac8d4

The NuFORCE MCP-18 was a spectacular performer for the price.  As you know, it was "pure analog".

The HD AVP has far more functionality including the DAC, Server/Streamer Capability, Surround Processing, and Bass Management.

It is so good, we used it as the PREAMP (for 2 channel) at THE SHOW last June.

I have not heard them side by side to compare, but I doubt the HD AVP would blow the MCP-18 away, but would think that side by side it would sound better, overall.

I should also mention that the HD AVP does have a USB input, that runs a PURE PATH 2 channel signal (no bass management) to a pair of ANALOG outputs for what would surely be better than the MCP-18 with an outboard DAC.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2016, 10:06 am »
The HD-AVP has packed too many features and ended up making it difficult to sell. Our loss is your gain and with reduced price (40% discount) of $1395, it is a "steal".

supernaut77

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2016, 07:34 pm »
Here is the "simple answer".  Found in the FAQ's
Just to be extra clear, is the subwoofer output active also when the usb-audio input is used? I think it is unclear when reading the FAQ:
http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/faq-prod.html#faq_6

What is the difference between Pure Direct, Pure Audio, and USB Audio?

Pure Direct and Pure Audio modes are part of the multi-channel mode and utilize the high quality multi-channel DAC. USB Audio goes through a separate high performance stereo DAC board.

Pure Audio is a 2-channel Stereo mode where multi-channel inputs from the source are converted to 2 channel audio. Pure Direct is a pass-through (from the source device such as BluRay player) mode without any EQ effect.

Don't confuse Pure Audio or Pure Direct with USB Audio input. If you have a computer connected to HD-AVP through USB Audio, by selecting the USB Audio as input source you will be utilising the high-end stereo DAC (this USB Audio DAC has the same performance as NuPrime DAC-10) instead of the multi-channel DAC for surround sound decoding.

The L&R outputs from 7.1 outputs come from USB DAC outputs or AVP outputs. The USB L&R outputs come only from the USB DAC.  That means if you are using USB Audio as the input, there are two sets of outputs: L&R outputs from 7.1 outputs and USB L&R outputs. This allow you to setup a separate high-end stereo system in another room. Therefore, if you select USB Input as the source, then the USB DAC outputs go to 7.1 L&R RCA and XLR and USB L&R outputs.

chrisc

• Listen to the great composers
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2016, 11:58 am »
Yes, the sub works on all inputs, including USB

However, it sends the full bandwidth to the sub, not just low frequencies.  I managed to suppress all signals above 120Hz on a Yamaha sub, but if you connect a regular amp and spkrs to the sub out, you hear the full range.  Altering the paramaters on the menu has no effect

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2016, 05:16 pm »
The sub is full range when the input is USB. That's because the USB audio has the DAC-10 board (minus a few other things such as analog and digital preamp) and it is independent of the AV decoding board.