Snell E/III - question for owners

raindance

Snell E/III - question for owners
« on: 16 Aug 2017, 07:17 pm »
I wonder if any Snell E/III owner would be so kind as to let me know how the acoustic fill is installed in the cabinets from the factory? Mine had surrounds replaced by a previous owner and it doesn't look like the stuffing was re-installed correctly, as  the foam, which is quite dense, completely covers the braced area between the "top" and "bottom" sections of the cabinet. This is unlike any bass reflex cabinet treatment I have ever seen.

I have checked the woofers and both voice coils measure the same DC resistance-wise, so I doubt there is voice coil damage as it would not be equal in both units, plus the mid frequencies sound fine.

The reason I am asking is because the bass is a bit reticent and that is not a normal characteristic of these speakers. Apart from this they sound surprisingly great for a cheap pair of used speakers and blow away a number of "modern" designs I have tried. Quite an open sounding speaker.

Note I also disconnected the awful potentiometer for tweeter level and replaced it with a 1.2 ohm resistor in each unit. This made a massive improvement to the top end.

I have tried internet searches on this topic and every single image result I find has the Photobucket hosting upgrade error message instead of the picture I need.

merdy

Re: Snell E/III - question for owners
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2017, 03:13 pm »
Hello raindance,I am a big camel fan as well
My sister in law has a pair that she brought in 90 around 2 years ago the surrounds deteriorated so I jumped in to fix them ,the first set of surrounds that I put on had exactly what you are commenting about the bass ,I have heard the speakers over a hundred times in her home and I to was surprised,so I took them home and did a lot of homework and research with a lot or reconers and including the Norwegian snell group,the driver was popular in a lot of U.K. And Danish speakers
Apparently the surrounds were too thick and the inner connecting part was not curved inward enough,this probably raised the cone a bit and the thickness of the surrounds,I think this affects the xmax and overall weight
I finally got some surrounds from audio friends in the Netherlands,apparently audionote also supplies the surrounds from the U.K.
Also when inspecting the drivers pay attention to the glue on the back of the cone as some folks do not glue this part also causing the driver less ridigity,
Please don't take this the wrong way ,for $25 it's the best investment you can make for an amazing sounding speaker,I now have them in my sunroom and my wife enjoys them ,I occasionally use them to test some of the amps I build or refurbish,right now I have them on some altec 1569 tube mono blocks
Yes the stuffing is as you describe,I to found it strange,but hey it works,I will try the 1.2 ohm resistor idea,I have my pots on some vintage German wire would things and that opened up the speaker.
Mine have the kimber cable in them,
They are really a fantastic bargain
Hope this helps
Now rebuilding some Frazier black box and a pair of bozak Ls 200