Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house

munosmario

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house
« Reply #180 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:27 pm »
Hi Mario,

See my post above.  Fan does not turn on.  Does not get warm enough in there for it to turn on.

I think it the Sony was sitting on top of a furnace or in some rack-mount application with HOT gear below it (in a hot room),
it could turn on.  But with all the mods (including tube heat), running 24/7, it does not turn on

So  sorry, Vinnie, I missed your previous post...this is great news, evidently all your mods in full long-term operation do not add enough heat to trigger that fan (although in practice a moot point, hopefully it is a quiet fan if it is ever triggered).

Are you fully recovered?

All the best,

Mario

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #181 on: 19 Apr 2014, 01:34 am »
Here is the cool part ... I am adding this to the RWA-Z1ES-3 modification list (at no extra cost). It MUST be done because it we can't let a clean 5V linear regulated feed go to waste, and it just adds some labor to rewire some feeds and grounds.... and it gives a clear sonic reward!

And even cooler - I should be able to do it (with another unused output from a linear feed) for the Hard Drive and USB port circuit as well, so the dc-dc convert board will be unused, and everything goes LINEAR AND BATTERY.   Why not?   8)

All set!  The entire player is Linear and LiFePO4 battery... including the HDD (or SSD if you switch over like I did) and USB port... everything!

The internal LiFePO4 batteries are now powering the entire Audio board, including:

- The new 3.3V and 5V Super Regulators that feed the L and R d/a converter chips
- The new 3.3V Super Regulator for the clocking circuitry used for ALL file types
- The I/V conversion stage
- The tube output stages B+
- The output mute relay and circuitry for it

The rest is all powered via the analog power supply (now all linear regulated, not using any dc/dc converters), with new low-noise linear voltage regulators installed for -15V, +15V, and two for +5V.  This powers:

- System microprocessor
- The FPGA and Audio DSP chip
- Ethernet and USB ports
- SDRAM
- HDD
- Display
- Battery charging

OTHER

- I added a relay to switch OFF the battery charging when the unit is ON (unless you override this with the AC/BATT switch that has been added to the rear panel). 

- When the unit is OFF (shut down), the batteries charge as long as you leave the unit plugged into your AC wall outlet.  If you unplug from the AC outlet, blocking diodes prevent the batteries from discharging to anywhere else in the circuit.

- There is no more sharing with the digital power supply board's (the one with the dc/dc converters) GND.  It is all on a new star-ground and
all linear / LiFePO4. 

- Balanced output circuitry (opamps, resistors, XLR jacks) have been removed.  I will be exploring a balanced version of this mod... probably sometime next month. 

Finally, I need to confirm the play time in BATT mode, and post this information (and pics) to the website.

The sound is extraordinary.... I mean really, really superb at this point!   I will have to add a wrap-up on it soon.  This has been a "labor of love" project for me, and has consumed WAAAAYYYY more hours of time than I anticipated, but the reward is enjoying the seductive music that it reproduces.  Speaking of which, I am exhausted and plan to spend the rest of the evening just listening with a smile.  :D

RWA-Z1ES-3 will be added to the RWA website next week.  I have a few more customers' Z1ES coming in, so please check in with me regarding lead-time. The Stereophile revew was very complimentary, and a few customers mentioned to me that the Z1ES is becoming out of stock in online stores.  I hope Sony is making a new batch to sell - especially with the new review!

Ted_B:  I still *hope* to have your review RWA-Z1ES-3 ready at the end of this month.  It is gets delayed, it will not be by too much.  :oops:

Next up.... remote volume control option, analog input option (these will be finished and tested by the end of this month), followed by a balanced output version (I will begin working on it sometime next month).

Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

Vinnie

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #182 on: 19 Apr 2014, 03:03 am »
Vinnie,
I am very excited by all this, and am ready when you are!  :)

firedog

« Reply #183 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:22 am »
The sound is extraordinary.... I mean really, really superb at this point!
If Vinnie says this, it must be REALLY good.

Ted-
As you own several high end DACs and good servers, it will be really enlightening to hear how you think the Level 3 mod compares to a high end PC/DAC combo. Sounds like the modded Sony should be a worthy competitor, especially for the price.

mav52

« Reply #184 on: 19 Apr 2014, 01:25 pm »

Ted-
As you own several high end DACs and good servers, it will be really enlightening to hear how you think the Level 3 mod compares to a high end PC/DAC combo. Sounds like the modded Sony should be a worthy competitor, especially for the price.

Can't wait for your review ted.     I'm thinking about changing out my Exasound Mk111 with this modified unit.  The Sony unit should be a little more wifey friendly (ease of use)

Vinnie, which unit will ted receive ? 
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2014, 01:44 pm by mav52 »

OzarkTom

« Reply #185 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:18 am »
Here is John Darko of Digital Audio Review mentioning Vinni and the Red Wine Audio's mods.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/03/red-wine-audio-tube-up-sony-hap-z1es-hra-player/

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #186 on: 24 Apr 2014, 02:43 am »

Ted-

I know this is going to sound like "tooting my own horn" but I don't care... the Z1ES-3 is really is Freakin' Brilliant sounding!!!  It's still blowing my mind every night I listen.   :angel:

So I'll be excited to hear how Ted gets along with it after I send him a unit and he's had some time to listen to it.

I'm wrapping up the Level 3 mod... just testing another battery pack and testing run-time.

Hi mav52,

I'll be sending Ted the RWA-Z1ES-3  8)

Hi OzarkTom,

Thanks for posting that link.

There is also more talk about the Z1ES on Audiogon:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1&ctg&3&&

and AudioAsylum:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=hirez

Vinnie

kngale1

« Reply #187 on: 24 Apr 2014, 03:55 pm »
Vinnie,

In the level 3 mod, are the analog XLR outputs disabled and only stock RCA analog output active?   Or XLR pseudo wired from the single ended output?

Can you offer details on the XLR mod option design and pricing?

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #188 on: 24 Apr 2014, 04:20 pm »
Vinnie,

In the level 3 mod, are the analog XLR outputs disabled and only stock RCA analog output active?   Or XLR pseudo wired from the single ended output?

Can you offer details on the XLR mod option design and pricing?

Thanks!

Hi kngale1,

The RWA-Z1ES-3 mod complete disables the XLR output stage.  The opamps for the XLR outputs are removed from the board, as are the resistors/caps that grab the signal from the I/V stage, so there is no sharing of the signal, and no sharing of power for SE and XLR outputs.

If you want to keep the XLR outputs, I can keep them in.  While they will sound better than stock (due to all the modifications), they will not have the tube output stage.  So we'll just call them "partially modded XLR outputs."   Either way, there is no extra cost for this.  So if you don't specify that you want to preserve the XLR outputs, they will be removed.  I will mention this on the website when I post the Level 3 mods.

I did hear an improvement with the outputs after removing the I/V feed to the XLR outputs, and removing the opamps for the XLR outputs.  Not a substantial change, but there was a noticeable increase in transparency and top-end extension/decay.  Initially, I thought I was just imagining it, so I connected the BAL output stage back in, an then back out and I preferred it disabled.

RWA-Z1ES-X-BAL

Next month, I'll be working on RWA-Z1ES-X-BAL mods (where X can be level 1, 2, or 3), and I will 'probably' disable the SE outputs for this mod for the same reason as above (again, unless you want me to keep them in). 

The cost for RWA-Z1ES-X mods and RWA-Z1ES-X-BAL mods will be the same.

I do not plan offer both versions in one box (as it would require 4 tubes, more heat, more sharing... not my style).  If you absolutely require tube modded SE and BAL outputs, check out Dan @ ModWright's Z1ES mods.  I believe his includes both. 

Vinnie

kngale1

« Reply #189 on: 24 Apr 2014, 04:43 pm »

RWA-Z1ES-X-BAL

Next month, I'll be working on RWA-Z1ES-X-BAL mods (where X can be level 1, 2, or 3), and I will 'probably' disable the SE outputs for this mod for the same reason as above (again, unless you want me to keep them in). 

The cost for RWA-Z1ES-X mods and RWA-Z1ES-X-BAL mods will be the same.

I do not plan offer both versions in one box (as it would require 4 tubes, more heat, more sharing... not my style).  If you absolutely require tube modded SE and BAL outputs, check out Dan @ ModWright's Z1ES mods.  I believe his includes both. 

Vinnie
Vinnie, thanks for the clarification.   I've always thought XLR mod was an addition to the SE mod.

I've already had several ModWright mods over the years and contemplating trying something different.  Dan makes an excellent product so my guess it's probably more different than much much superior.

peterlim8

« Reply #190 on: 25 Apr 2014, 12:56 am »

If I'm not wrong, unlike ModWright has years of experiences in implementing  fully differentiated circuit, your current products are mainly SE, so, it's difficult to optimize one (not just build one)?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #191 on: 25 Apr 2014, 01:24 am »
If I'm not wrong, unlike ModWright has years of experiences in implementing  fully differentiated circuit, your current products are mainly SE, so, it's difficult to optimize one (not just build one)?

Hi peterlim8,

BAL output is not hard to do and does not require years of experience in making products with BAL outputs.  I prefer SE, especially if interconnects are going to be kept short (under 6 feet is my 'unofficial rule').  In a pro audio environment with > 100 foot runs of cable, I can see BAL being a good thing with regards to noise rejection.  But there is added complexity in the signal at the transmitting and receiving ends, which I personally don't prefer.  It isn't major, but I do not believe that BAL is better because it is BAL.  If interconnects are going to be quite long, then BAL usually will be better at noise rejection.  I do not wish to debate SE vs. BAL for home audio in this thread, so if you want to discuss it, you can call or email me.  :wink:

As far as for the Sony player, I actually might be able offer BOTH SE and BAL (with tube output) as well, but I don't want to say for sure until I have the time to try it out, test, etc.  But I have some ideas...

Also, I received a call from someone who wanted to know if the modded BAL output voltage can be increased from 2Vrms to 4Vrms (so it is double that of the SE output, which is fairly common).  I'm pretty sure it can be done if needed (e.g. if you need the extra voltage for your preamp's BAL input).  We'll see...

Actually, the next thing I'll be working on (besides getting info onto the RWA website) is the remote volume controlled SE output option (and optional analog input).  This would be for those who do not want to use a preamp and want to connect their RWA-Z1ES-X to their power amps.  :eyebrows:

Vinnie

Afterimage

« Reply #192 on: 25 Apr 2014, 01:51 am »
I have question/concern.  I leave mine on pretty much 24/7.   I does get pretty hot back where the tubes are at.  Is this okay or normal?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #193 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:19 am »
I have question/concern.  I leave mine on pretty much 24/7.   I does get pretty hot back where the tubes are at.  Is this okay or normal?

Totally normal.  You are looking about about 2W of heat per tube, so around 4W of heat in the back by the tubes.  So it is noticeable, but
I wouldn't call it "hot."  You should be able to put your hand on the top cover above the tubes and leave it there without it feeling uncomfortable.

Vinnie

peterlim8

« Reply #194 on: 25 Apr 2014, 09:06 am »
Hi peterlim8,

BAL output is not hard to do and does not require years of experience in making products with BAL outputs.  I prefer SE, especially if interconnects are going to be kept short (under 6 feet is my 'unofficial rule').  In a pro audio environment with > 100 foot runs of cable, I can see BAL being a good thing with regards to noise rejection.  But there is added complexity in the signal at the transmitting and receiving ends, which I personally don't prefer.  It isn't major, but I do not believe that BAL is better because it is BAL.  If interconnects are going to be quite long, then BAL usually will be better at noise rejection.  I do not wish to debate SE vs. BAL for home audio in this thread, so if you want to discuss it, you can call or email me.  :wink:

Hi Vinnie, Tks for the reply!

For those who already using BAL from top to bottom, they don't have to hunt for RCA cable for new addition.

Btw, from the review of Stereophile, the Z1ES has inverted the absolute polarity in the digital domain, hence both outputs of BAL and SE are inverted. does your MOD stick to it or revert it back to normal after the digital domain?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #195 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:51 pm »

Btw, from the review of Stereophile, the Z1ES has inverted the absolute polarity in the digital domain, hence both outputs of BAL and SE are inverted. does your MOD stick to it or revert it back to normal after the digital domain?

I actually switch it back, so the absolute polarity is non-inverted at the outputs...

Ric Schultz

« Reply #196 on: 25 Apr 2014, 06:16 pm »
Actually, it does not matter what phase the info is being sent into the DAC with....because the DACs have differential outputs.  So, all you need to do is select whatever output you want and amplify it to get whatever phase you want.  Seems Sony did not pay attention to phase and simply made a mistake with how they wired the output stage (unless they did in intentionally?).  I have tested the Sony with the original Philips test disc and indeed the phase is reversed.  Sony should update their software so we can switch the phases digitally....this would give the unit correct phase for most music and the music that is recorded in reverse phase could be made to sound better by switching it to inverted phase.  Of course, us modders will give people non-inverted output like it should have been stock! 

It does make a difference.  Most recorded music will sound best decoded non-inverted.  If you have a stock unit and you can switch phase in your preamp, then give it a try and see what you hear.  If you have a tube preamp that inverts phase, then you can now switch your speaker wires back to their normal phase and all will be fine. 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #197 on: 25 Apr 2014, 06:36 pm »
Sony should update their software so we can switch the phases digitally....this would give the unit correct phase for most music and the music that is recorded in reverse phase could be made to sound better by switching it to inverted phase.  Of course, us modders will give people non-inverted output like it should have been stock!

Hi Ric,

I agree and it would be great if Sony offers a SW update that does this via the Menu (where DSD remastering and DSEE on/off functions are).  I'm not sure how to contact their SW team who works on this, but maybe I can find an online support request for it.  If others do the same, it might push them to update the SW with this feature.  I'm sure it would be very easy for them to implement...

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #198 on: 28 Apr 2014, 01:38 am »
All,

As promised, RWA-Z1ES-3 has been added to our website:

http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwa-z1es-x

More pictures coming this week!

Vinnie

bmoura

« Reply #199 on: 28 Apr 2014, 09:48 am »
Please let me know if there are other items on your wish list (perhaps a headphone output stage, analog input that passes through the tube output stage and volume, etc.).  I'm not saying I can do anything, but if you plant seeds in the RWA garden it might just grow!

Thanks for all your posts and continued interest - Keep 'em coming!  :hyper:

Vinnie

I'd vote for a Headphone Output Stage as an option.  The volume control also sounds interesting.