Getting back into tubes - Recommendation for Pre-Amp

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
I've been out of the tube scene for quite a while.  I'm looking to get back in gently.  I need a tube preamp for my second system.

Requirements:
Tube based (obviously)
3-4 inputs preferred
2 outputs preferred but not a show stopper
Remote control (just volume is OK) strongly preferred for WAF
Lay down design (no visible tubes or xformers sticking up) preferred but not a show stopper - again WAF
New or used OK - new preferred but always open for a good deal on something used in good condition.
< $1000

I'm just starting the hunt so any opinions are greatly welcomed.  Primary setup will be a modded SB, External DAC (still looking but Scott F has me on to something interesting), 70W + solid state amp (considering the Odyssey), my trusty modded Snell K.5's

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

bunky

Re: Getting back into tubes - help with pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2006, 04:49 am »
Quote from: bpape
I've been out of the tube scene for quite a while.  I'm looking to get back in gently.  I need a tube preamp for my second system.

Requirements:
Tube based (obviously)
3-4 inputs preferred
2 outputs preferred but not a show stopper
Remote control (just volume is OK) strongly preferred for WAF
Lay down design (no visible tubes or xformers sticking up) preferred but not a show stopper - again WAF
New or used OK - new preferred but always open for a good deal on something used in good condition.
< ...
the Anthem Pre 2L would be a nice remote control volume tube preamp. i use a Anthem Pre 1L running Amperex 7308s to great effect with a pair of Odyssey mono extremes and these amps mate perfectly with a tube preamplifier.thanks....WCW III

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2006, 12:39 pm »
Thanks Bunky.  I'll check it out.  

I've also had PM responses from a couple of vendors - both of which I'm sure are exeptional products and both of which are out of my price range.  

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2006, 12:45 pm »
Bryan,
You might try a used VTL 2.5. Tubes are discreetly concealed for WAF proofing. They pop up on Agon fairly regularly for $800-$1000.
http://www.vtl.com/pages/preamplifiers.html
Happy hunting.
steve

srayle

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2006, 03:57 pm »
Bryan,

I really like the AES DJH preamp, which you can get used for around $1000, usually less without the remote. It uses 6SN7 tubes, which many believe to be "tone monsters". There are lots of superb used/NOS tubes around, and several current  production that are quite good. Some of the NOS are getting extremely expensive Tung Sol roundplates leading the way), but there are some great tubes that are inexpensive (6SN7GT RCA greyglass, some Sylvania, Raytheon, CBS/Hytron) and some that are reasonable. fun to tube-roll. I've heard that the 12SN7 is also a great tube, much cheaper and some are reportedly as good or better than the good 6SN7's. It's much less commonly used than the 6SN7, a little searching would probably get you some candidates. The only one I know of for sure is the Space-Tech QA-001, which uses either 12SN7 or 6SN7, sells for $399, and is reported to be a great pre-amp...

I also have experienced the Eastern Electric Minimax pre, but have found I prefer the sound of bigger tube octals (like the 6SN7) rather than the 9 pin 12AU7.