HiFiman HE400

milford3

HiFiman HE400
« on: 5 May 2015, 07:25 pm »
Thanks to an audiophile friend of mine I got to exchange my Beyer T1's for his HiFiman HE400's.  I own the Audeze LCD2's so I can compare both planar headphones.  I'm not a professional reviewer but I do have a head with two ears.  The HE 400's is just an amazing planar headphone for the price.  Mid and low bass is spot on.  Comfort is acceptable.  While listening to music today with the 400's they performed well above their price point.  A diamond in the coal field.  If spending over 1K for a planar headphone is not in your budget the HiFiman HE 400 is it.  And don't forget to amp them.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: HiFiman HE400
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2015, 10:21 pm »
When I add a silver cable the instruments image became more focus and soundstage change to more 3D.
But my source is just a PC, w/a top CD/SACD player performance can be much better.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2015, 10:19 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2015, 10:23 pm »

[/quote]
I like this original version, its built like a tank.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2015, 01:18 am »
As the 400 is still being sold at the $299 discount price concurrent with the newer 400i selling for $499, one could consider them two separate models in the lineup.  The 400 is thus a great bargain offering real planar sound for a very attractive price.  I went for the 400i, but thought hard about saving the $200 and getting the 400.  I wonder if they'll just keep selling them both.  Anyway, glad to hear that an Audeze owner also likes the Hifiman sound.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2015, 04:54 am »
I had basically sworn off HifiMan products, but my boy Jan Meier had some remaining HE-400 stock for a great price, so what the heck...if I dont care for it, I'll be able to sell it with no problem.

Milford, did you get to try both types of pads? I went ahead and picked up the velour pads as well, so I'm interested to see which I like better.

Also, are these things pretty easy to drive?

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2015, 05:46 am »
The HiFiman HE 400's are rated at the impedance of 35 ohms.  I would say yes to easy to drive.  But I would amp them (because of the planar design) for their full potential.  As for the velour ear pads that would be an upgrade for me.  But I can't do that because the 400's are not mine.  Now I want to hear the HE 6.  This is madness!   :x :x :x

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2015, 06:55 am »
Now I want to hear the HE 6.  This is madness!   :x :x :x

Yep...but it's fun  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2015, 02:11 pm »
So my pair arrived from Germany on Saturday and I've probably put a good 20 hours on them over the last two days. I have to admit, I really like these. The best way I can describe them will sound like Im ragging on 'em, but I dont mean it that way at all.

Basically they have similar tonality to the Audeze LCD-X, so if you start with the X and then take away everything that makes that headphone special and worth the full $1500, then what you're left with are the HE400s. Both are very easy to listen to, but the 400s dont dig quite as deep and their top end isn't nearly as refined. The sound stage isn't small, per se, but it lacks that 3D space that the Audezes have. The mids are very clean and in balance, but they lack refinement, as well. Overall they are not as detailed or transparent as the Xs, but these drivers (and it's one reason why I LOVE planars) aren't veiled at all. Another headphone I had in recently was the Sennheiser HD700s which, even though they were over twice the price, had a very obvious veil that I could never get past. The Xs give you a window that lets you see DEEP into the music, to a greater degree than the 400s, but these budget planars avoid the veil that some dynamic drivers possess.

I'm also very happy with the comfort. I did go ahead and upgrade to the velour pads, and even though they aren't nearly as nice as the T1s velour pads, they are certainly more comfy than the pleather ones that came stock. As far as weight, these feel about like the T1s on my head...not quite as comfortable, but I can wear these for hours at a time. The clamp is just about perfect and the weight distribution is appreciated.

I actually think these are still a very good value even at their original MSRP of $399. I paid $280 shipped from the homeland, so I am very pleased with the value here. If you're on a budget but still want to enjoy that beautiful planar sound, like Milford said, these are your headphones. You can still find these around, but I don't think they're in production anymore. I think Jan still may have some in stock, so that's one place you can probably still find a pair.

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2015, 03:20 pm »
If only someone was selling an almost new pair with free shipping!!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134563.new#new

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2015, 01:19 pm »
If only someone was selling an almost new pair with free shipping!!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134563.new#new
I can sell my HE400 to you, just 90 hours.

I have 3 cables all are mini plugs to PC:

3Meter Stock cable + 1,5meter Silver Cable + Special Silver cable +Original Pads+Velour Pads.

I have all original box.

sts9fan

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2015, 01:21 pm »
I can sell my HE400 to you, just 90 hours.

I have 3 cables all are mini plugs to PC:

3Meter Stock cable + 1,5meter Silver Cable + Special Silver cable +Original Pads+Velour Pads.

I have all original box.

It would be odd for me to buy yours when I am selling mine. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2015, 01:23 pm »
Do you want the HE6?

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2015, 01:46 pm »
It would be odd for me to buy yours when I am selling mine.
:lol: