Vision Phono Preamp review

I.Greyhound Fan

Vision Phono Preamp review
« on: 24 Feb 2015, 12:56 am »
I recently got back into vinyl and I asked Frank if I could borrow a Vision phono preamp and see how it compares to my Bellari VP-129 that some one gave me.  Frank was gracious as usual and obliged me.

My system consists of a vintage Thorens TD-145 TT, Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge, Blue Jean phono IC's with XLR Adapters, Cardas Parsec XLR's for my amp and preamp.  My preamp is a BAT VK-51se tube preamp paired with a Pass Labs X250 amp.  Speakers are Magnepan 1.6's paired with a Martin Logan original dynamo sub crossed over at 40hz.

My Bellari VP-129 is using a 1950's NOS Raytheon Black Plate 12ax7 which yields a fuller, more detailed, slightly warmer, darker and a much more dynamic sound than the stock tube.

Music-

Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
Steve Miller- Original Master Recording of Fly Like an Eagle
Diana Krall- Walllflower
William Akerman- Passages
Joni Mitchell- For The Roses

Compared to the Bellari, the Vision sounds more HiFi.  It presents music with a faster pace with more detail and resolution.  The attack on instruments, especially guitar and piano is sharper and more defined and the decay is better and smoother.  On one track of the Steve Miller album, I noticed that I could hear the echo of a drum in the background that was not there before.  The back ground is blacker and there is more separation between instruments.  The sound is less congested.  Listening to Miles Davis, the horns sounded more natural and smoother.  Cymbals had more air.  The Vision also presented a slightly wider sound stage and a more transparent sound.

The only things that the Bellari did better was front to back depth, which was a little deeper and thicker.  Bass was deeper and stronger.  The Bellari presented a darker overall sound which may account for the heavier sound.  The Vision on the other hand had good bass which was faster and a bit more controlled.

I will be doing more listening and comparing over the next 24 hours and will post any other thoughts.  Unfortunately, I don't have any other phono preamps to compare the Vision to.  But overall, I am impressed with the Vision.

Larry

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Vision Phono Preamp review
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2015, 01:30 am »
Thanks for the thoughtful, and well written review Larry.  :thumb:

JD

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2015, 03:54 am »
Thanks Larry for your post.
I (Still) own a Bellari VP-129 (Same as yours)
with which I was satisfied before I move to our new house,
then troubles started. Hum and interference....
I bought a ProJect Phono Box DC solid state MC/MM switchable input
(149 USD / Amazon) and no more hum and interference.
For me, the only way to tell the differences in sound between two audio components,
is a side by side listening.
I tried tube rolling from stock Ruby 12AX7 to Sylvania NOS 12AX7 could not ell the difference in sound,
but when I did the tube rolling, I had hum and interference, so the comparison was not really valid.
The Bellari had more gain, the output was much higher to drive my Decware SE84C+.
I might keep the Bellari and use it again when I'm back home, my home in Canada.

Guy 13

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2015, 01:39 pm »
Thanks Larry for your post.
I (Still) own a Bellari VP-129 (Same as yours)
with which I was satisfied before I move to our new house,
then troubles started. Hum and interference....
I bought a ProJect Phono Box DC solid state MC/MM switchable input
(149 USD / Amazon) and no more hum and interference.
For me, the only way to tell the differences in sound between two audio components,
is a side by side listening.
I tried tube rolling from stock Ruby 12AX7 to Sylvania NOS 12AX7 could not ell the difference in sound,
but when I did the tube rolling, I had hum and interference, so the comparison was not really valid.
The Bellari had more gain, the output was much higher to drive my Decware SE84C+.
I might keep the Bellari and use it again when I'm back home, my home in Canada.

Guy 13

Guy, have you tried replacing the wall wart on the Bellari?   I tried several tubes in the Bellari and most sounded completely different.  My system is very revealing and small changes are readily apparent.  The 1950's Raytheon black plate was a huge improvement for me, otherwise I would have ditched the Bellari a while ago.  With that being said, the AVA phono pre is a very nice step up in sound.

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2015, 02:18 pm »
Guy, have you tried replacing the wall wart on the Bellari?   I tried several tubes in the Bellari and most sounded completely different.  My system is very revealing and small changes are readily apparent.  The 1950's Raytheon black plate was a huge improvement for me, otherwise I would have ditched the Bellari a while ago.  With that being said, the AVA phono pre is a very nice step up in sound.
Hi Greyhound Fan,
I tried two different make of wall wart, one 230V and one 120V. the second one is the original Bellari.
Since I had to break my piggy bank to buy the Pro-Ject (149 USD)
and that I was never able to solve completely the hum and interference problem,
I've stopped experimenting with the Bellari, maybe when I am back home (Canada).
I think my system is quite revealing with the following components:
Rega P3 with Rega Exact, Decware SE84C+ and Omega drivers Open Baffle Dipole)
my interconnect are Signal Cable Silver.
Well to see that your AVA is a step up from your VP-129 Bellari.
Enjoy !

Guy 13

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2015, 02:23 pm »
I might mention that the AVA Vision adjustable phono preamp is completely DC coupled in to out. No input, output, or interstage coupling capacitors at all.  I am not aware of any other phono circuit that manages to do this.  Sorry, no capacitor rolling needed.

Frank

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2015, 05:39 pm »
Frank, I am still loving the preamp, unfortunately I have to return it today.  The more I listened to music through the Vision, the more I enjoyed it.  I found myself enjoying vinyl more than my digital collection for the first time.

Thanks again,

Larry
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2015, 04:25 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

Minn Mark

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2015, 02:17 pm »
My thoughts exactly. I've been living (happily) with the Vision phono (MM loading) in my Insight preamp for many months now.

Please refer to my posts in the AC:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121452.0

Best regards and keep spinning that vinyl ! :thumb:

Mark 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2015, 04:25 pm »
Mark, if you are ever going to be in the Woodbury area, give me a buzz and you are welcome to come over to listen to my system.

Minn Mark

« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2015, 02:09 am »
Thanks greyhound fan. Will do. Please post some more impressions as you enjoy the Vision phono. Same invite goes for me, if you're near Rochester.

Mark

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2015, 02:53 am »
I might mention that the AVA Vision adjustable phono preamp is completely DC coupled in to out. No input, output, or interstage coupling capacitors at all.  I am not aware of any other phono circuit that manages to do this.  Sorry, no capacitor rolling needed.

Frank

Hi Frank

dual ps dc preamplifiers have been in existance decades ago,you mean riaa equalisation doesnt have caps
that would be new? :thumb: