PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP power amplifier review

ltr317

Hi AC members,

My review of the subject matter is now online at Dagogo.com.  I know quite a few of you are interested in PrimaLuna gear, and this is a new model. 

Cheers,
Paul
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2015, 06:24 pm by ltr317 »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP power amplifier revew
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2015, 12:59 am »
Thanks for the post and review.  Confirmation is a wonderful thing.

After being tube teased years ago I finally (after 40 years in stereo/audio) bought my first tube amp, a Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Integrated last year (see my Audio Circle review).  The multiple protection circuits and Prima Luna reputation convinced me to take the leap.  But the auto-bias seems to minimize the effects (to my ears) of the bias and triode/ultralinear switching as well as tube rolling.  I agree with your overall assessment of the sound (tight bass, musical, detailed, clear highs) and the differences from the various output tubes, but again to my ears the KT120 produces an almost solid state sound (primarily not as palpable) compared to EL34, KT77, KT88, or my favorite 6550.

And as far as value goes, the integrated stomps the HP power amp (no 16 ohm outputs and 3 dB less output but much cheaper to buy/re-tube and no worries about synergizing or sharing space with a separate pre-amp).
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2015, 11:17 am by JLM »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2015, 02:03 am »
Thank you for letting us know. I got to hear this powering a pair of Dali 2-ways a few months ago. The sound was amazing. I hope to listen again, but this time either take my own amp/preamp to compare, or my speakers. There were too many unknowns the first time for me to make any solid conclusions.

I'll check out your review!

Michael

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2015, 11:19 am »
Thank you for letting us know. I got to hear this powering a pair of Dali 2-ways a few months ago. The sound was amazing. I hope to listen again, but this time either take my own amp/preamp to compare, or my speakers. There were too many unknowns the first time for me to make any solid conclusions.

I'll check out your review!

Michael

Better yet, try taking the amp home (ideally over a weekend), and reduce the variables to the absolute minimum.  But you might want a handcart, it's heavy.   :)

rpf

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2015, 03:57 pm »
An informative and entertaining review, as always, Paul. Thank you for your efforts.  :thumb:
I'm really looking forward to your review of the Fritz Carbon 7SE!

ltr317

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2015, 10:15 pm »
Thanks for the post and review.  Confirmation is a wonderful thing.

After being tube teased years ago I finally (after 40 years in stereo/audio) bought my first tube amp, a Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Integrated last year (see my Audio Circle review).  The multiple protection circuits and Prima Luna reputation convinced me to take the leap.  But the auto-bias seems to minimize the effects (to my ears) of the bias and triode/ultralinear switching as well as tube rolling.  I agree with your overall assessment of the sound (tight bass, musical, detailed, clear highs) and the differences from the various output tubes, but again to my ears the KT120 produces an almost solid state sound (primarily not as palpable) compared to EL34, KT77, KT88, or my favorite 6550.

And as far as value goes, the integrated stomps the HP power amp (no 16 ohm outputs and 3 dB less output but much cheaper to buy/re-tube and no worries about synergizing or sharing space with a separate pre-amp).

Hi JLM,

If I remember correctly, I believe I commented on your PL review a while ago.  During my audition, I also felt the auto-bias feature somewhat diminishes the tonal change between triode/ultralinear modes that are more dramatic in a few other amps I've heard.  In my system, on simple midrange driven music the tonal change is greater than more complex music between triode and ultralinear.  Since I have no proof if the auto-bias is the reason, I didn't speculate and write about it in the review.  I'm glad someone else (you) feels the same way, or I would have to get my ears check.  In any event, it doesn't bother me much and the main priority is auto-bias, which is a big deal as a reviewer.

Unfortunately, I didn't have on hand other output tubes besides EL34 and KT120 and can't comment on your findings about the other types.  Concerning the KT120, you echo my sentiments about some loss of presence/transparency compared to EL34 in my case, and the other output types you stated.  :thumb:  Kevin Deal is sending me some KT150s to try and if they are better than the KT120s, I will send the latter back and buy the former.

As far as values goes, the integrated is more so only if one doesn't already own a preamp.  The power amp is tremendous value on its own, given my reasons in the review.  Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
Paul   

ltr317

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2015, 10:18 pm »
Hi Michael,

+1, what JLM said.

ltr317

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm »
An informative and entertaining review, as always, Paul. Thank you for your efforts.  :thumb:
I'm really looking forward to your review of the Fritz Carbon 7SE!

Thanks Rob,  Still tweaking your system?  I just started the serious listening phase with the Carbon 7SEs.  I had to because Fritz was poking and prodding my behind with a 3 thousand mile long stick from the other coast!   :D

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2015, 12:28 am »
Paul,

Actually, my system is now pretty settled. It's sounding quite good and any change at this point would be a major one - i.e., expensive - so it'll be a good while before that happens. I do dream of a custom integrated amp or going to an external crossover on my speakers with Jupiter Cu & Al foil caps. But, as I said, $$$$.

A lot of the satisfaction I'm getting from my system now is down to the Genalex re-issue KT66s. Their purity of tone, resolution, refinement and balance beats any power tube I've heard. I think you might find them very enjoyable in your system.

« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2015, 03:47 am by rpf »

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:49 pm »
Paul,

Actually, my system is now pretty settled. It's sounding quite good and any change at this point would be a major one - i.e., expensive - so it'll be a good while before that happens. I do dream of a custom integrated amp or going to an external crossover on my speakers with Jupiter Cu & Al foil caps. But, as I said, $$$$.

A lot of the satisfaction I'm getting from my system now is down to the Genalex re-issue KT66s. Their purity of tone, resolution, refinement and balance beats any power tube I've heard. I think you might find them very enjoyable in your system.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll try to get some KT66s at some point. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2015, 06:25 pm »
I agree with Rob about the GL kt66.  Using them in my Rogue Atlas Magnum amp they give up a bit of heft, weight and slam compared to Tung-Sol 120's, but oh-so-nice everywhere else!  Almost SET-like in their beauty and ability to involve the listener.  Great tube, give 'em a shot if you can.

(speakers are Sunny H2W10)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2015, 08:53 pm »
"Better yet, try taking the amp home (ideally over a weekend), and reduce the variables to the absolute minimum.  But you might want a handcart, it's heavy.   :)"

Paul/JLM,

That is always on my mind. That particular shop is 90 miles away, and just one salesman has met/seen me once (and he LOVES to talk). I'd probably have to come up with some serious green before they'd allow me to cart it off for a weekend.

There are a couple shops that know me well enough to trust me with loaners. One specializes in McIntosh and Sonus Faber; the other SimAudio, Devialet, Proac, Harbeth, EMC, etc.

I'm really not looking to buy an amp just now as I kinda like my AVA 400R/T8 pre combo that I only recently purchased. However, I'm always looking out for speakers and DACs to step up a couple rungs... :D

Michael

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2015, 04:33 am »
Most shops require a credit card deposit to take gear home. 

Of course if you don't bring it back before the agreed to time, they'll gladly assume you wanted to keep it and will process the payment.   :roll: