Super V build

danvprod

Re: Super V build
« Reply #20 on: 15 Mar 2017, 01:08 am »
These look really good. The patience is worth it. I took the shortcut of buying a pre-built pair after several failed attempts at woodworking in previous projects. You will be rewarded with something really amazing in the end. I like the stealth look you are going for. Understated and classy. Keep at it.

Captainhemo

« Reply #21 on: 15 Mar 2017, 03:04 pm »
Grills are always  tough Ben.  If you  end up with some wrinkles, pull a few staples and  just tighten  the area if possible.  Sometimes a little  spray adhesive  can  really help out too,  the  corner areas on the rear side  are a spot I  often use it.....I like to spray some  in a jittle jar  and use a small paint  brush to apply it to specific areas.
When we've done finished cabinets for people,   we've been taking the frames in to an upholster to have them  wrapped,  not  overly expensive and a hell of a lot less frustrating  for me   :lol:
I've always liked the V's with the  full faced grill .

You're  almost there man  , bet you're getting anxious  :beer:

jay

danvprod

« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2017, 03:49 pm »
I agree with Jay -- it might make sense to re-build the grills and bring them to an upholstery shop to have them done. I suspect the cost would be nominal and since these are the first impressions of the speakers, might make sense to focus on getting perfect -- that is what I would likely do.

As an aside my Super Vs have the magnet grill attachment points and also the bowtie. The magnets are very strong and create a solid attachment. You might be able to get away without the 'T' on top if you want something that is a bit easier to wrap.

NeilT

« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2017, 10:19 pm »
Speakers look amazing but........

Why are you using staples? :duh:

"3M 77 Spray Adhesive" kicks butt.
No comparison to the process and the results.

Neil

rockdrummer

« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2017, 10:54 pm »
Yeah, that would have made better sense. The easy "stretch" and staple seemed instant and strong. I think I may get in there with a small brush and some 77 to bring the wrinkle in.

Thanks for the ideas and kind words. Wiring one right now, and realizing there is art and skill everywhere I turn. Keeping wires looking good is time consuming.
Ben