Super V build

rockdrummer

Super V build
« on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:36 pm »
My favorite threads in this forum are build threads.  I did not document every step of my build, partly because I was focused on work, and partly because I made a few processes take super long.

I have posted a few pics, and here are a couple more.

I used bondo to seal the mdf edges.  Once I got familiar with how to best apply only the amount needed, it was pretty easy.
Strong and sands super smooth.

I finished all pre-paint steps on one cabinet, tried to paint it and incurred a couple hiccups. The main one being the inside of the woofer cavities obviously don't spray well so i will finish coat those with a brush and some flat paint. 

After three light coats of Rust Oleum painters touch flat black primer, I sanded a little too early (lesson in patience) and got a couple grooves in the surface from the clogged sandpaper.  So i got a can of the Rust Oleum filler primer.  That worked great. 
This is the filler primer smoothing out the side.  I also used that product on small table easels I made for my kids.  I used left-over cheap plywood.  Made for a pretty smooth surface after 3 or 4 coats. 

Thanks for looking.
Ben

Shakeydeal

Re: Super V build
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:42 pm »
Congrats on the progress so far. Looks good  :thumb:

Shakey

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:44 pm »
Looks great.. Remember the No Rez will cover any flaws from the inside spraying of boxes or your roller marks.   You will love them.

JP

Shakeydeal

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2017, 05:38 pm »
Looks great.. Remember the No Rez will cover any flaws from the inside spraying of boxes or your roller marks.   You will love them.

JP

That's an understatement  :)

Shakey

Nick77

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2017, 09:16 pm »
I like the more contemporary design changes.  :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2017, 09:51 pm »
Bondo is great stuff.  And like you said, easy to use once you get a feel for it.  I always have some on hand for one project or another. 
So far, it looks great.  More pics, please!

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2017, 12:37 am »
Nice build!

When I built mine there was a lot of roundovers due to the tombstone shape.
Its a labour of love to build these DIY projects, I've lost count on the many I've built
over the years.

I tried bondo, but I find it tricky as its a harder finish than the MDF .
You can sand the surrounding MDF lower than the bondo easily.

Next time try automotive glazing putty, its usually right beside the bondo.
Its softer and easier to work with I've found.

Great thread!

Perry

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2017, 02:40 am »
I like the more contemporary design changes.  :thumb:
+1!  Looking great Ben, I like your design choices.

Best,
Ed

danvprod

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2017, 01:56 pm »
I like where you are going with these. Looking forward to following along!

Shakeydeal

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2017, 02:20 pm »
Dan,

Did you get your speakers?

danvprod

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2017, 04:56 pm »
Did you get your speakers?
Not yet! Mid-march. I have the servo woofers already and I am getting the rest of the Vs soon.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2017, 12:43 am »
Ben,

I know its just the primer but they look cool as they are, kind of a Darth Vaderish look

Mike

bdp24

« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2017, 11:55 pm »
I think so too Mike, a semi-flat charcoal. But then my favorite car color is hot rod black!---Eric

rockdrummer

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2017, 02:46 pm »
Hey everyone, I am feeling a bit dumb. These came with the p audio coax.

At first I thought these go on the back of the driver, then I thought the front because they fit there but I don't now why they would go there. Do I use these?

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2017, 03:49 pm »
On the drivers I had, they were installed in the recess in the outer mounting ring on the front side of the driver (where they look to fit).  I would presume they are a gasket intended to seal the driver if mounted to a baffle from the rear.  Because (again, if I remember correctly), the outer mounting ring is smurf blue, you might want to put them in for aesthetic reasons.  Other than that, I don't think I remember there being any other gasket on the back side.

ebag4

« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2017, 03:53 pm »
On the drivers I had, they were installed in the recess in the outer mounting ring on the front side of the driver (where they look to fit).  I would presume they are a gasket intended to seal the driver if mounted to a baffle from the rear.  Because (again, if I remember correctly), the outer mounting ring is smurf blue, you might want to put them in for aesthetic reasons.  Other than that, I don't think I remember there being any other gasket on the back side.

+1

Best,
Ed

rockdrummer

« Reply #16 on: 4 Mar 2017, 03:58 pm »
Thankso for the responses. The front has a hard foam surround and it would make sense that the soft would seal from that perspective.

When I have the driver sitting in place without the foam, it sits flush and the grill rests in place well. With the foam sticky stuff on the back, it sits too high. I'm just going without.
Thanks again guys.
Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2017, 04:01 pm »
Hi, here is a couple pic updates. I finished the 2nd grill last night.

I am finding that doing the processes for one speaker, seeing what works, and then moving on to the 2nd speaker, leaves me working with more anxiousness and carelessness. Things aren't looking bad, just better on the first speaker I did.

rockdrummer

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2017, 04:03 pm »
I went to post a picture of each speaker with a grill but I apparently didn't take any. I will update that tonight.
Thanks for looking.
Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2017, 08:24 pm »
Drivers installed in left speaker. No wiring yet.

Here is a small example of my hastened attempt at a 2nd grill. Got a little wrinkle. The design I used made for a challenging one. I originally assumed a full grill may want some support other than magnets, so I made the overhang on the top edges. 2 magnets in each spot makes for a good strong hold on the grills.

I am seeing a raised circle around the highest magnet in the cabinet itself. I think the magnet strength is pulling and making a small bulge. Under epoxy seems surprising to me but it is my first time using it with magnets.
Thanks for looking.
Ben