$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

pelliott321

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #2680 on: 5 Jul 2011, 02:43 pm »
All the way up to what?

mikeeastman

« Reply #2681 on: 9 Jul 2011, 01:18 am »
I just got some Vishay resistors for my sds 254 and wanted to know where to hook them up, connector has three places, resistor has two ends, what goes where?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2682 on: 9 Jul 2011, 01:53 am »
I just got some Vishay resistors for my sds 254 and wanted to know where to hook them up, connector has three places, resistor has two ends, what goes where?

The search engine is your friend.

See here.

Anand.

mikeeastman

« Reply #2683 on: 9 Jul 2011, 02:17 am »
Thanks,
"The search engine is your friend" Except I think computers were created by the spawn of the devil solely for the purpose  of tormenting  mankind. Or I'm old and not very computer lit. And if I could figure out how to put one of those smily faces at top of page here that would be good.

Mike

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2684 on: 9 Jul 2011, 03:27 am »
Thanks,
"The search engine is your friend" Except I think computers were created by the spawn of the devil solely for the purpose  of tormenting  mankind. Or I'm old and not very computer lit. And if I could figure out how to put one of those smily faces at top of page here that would be good.

Mike

:D

I created that smiley face by pressing the shift button, then pressing the colon : button at the same time, followed by pressing the shift button again and the letter D at the same time.

Best,
Anand.

P.S. 64 isn't old  :thumb:.

srb

« Reply #2685 on: 9 Jul 2011, 03:53 am »
Mike,

When you reply to (or create or modify) a post, are you not seeing the row of smiley faces (and the more link at the end) below the toolbars?

Clicking on one of them inserts it  :D  at the text cursor.

Also there is no specific search function to search for text within a long topic, but if you have located the topic you want (like this one), you can use your browser's Find function to search.  For example, to search for "Vishay" within this post:

1. Click the Print link/tab at the upper right hand corner of the page to return a page with the complete topic spanning all pages (minus photos, smilies, hyperlinks, etc.)

2. Use your browser's Find function to search for text (Internet Explorer and Firefox use Edit > Find from the menu or Ctrl + F from the keyboard).  Type Vishay in the Find search field that appears, then click Next to find each occurrence of that word.

Steve

wgscott

« Reply #2686 on: 9 Jul 2011, 04:08 am »

mikeeastman

« Reply #2687 on: 9 Jul 2011, 01:36 pm »
Thanks Steve, I see the smiley faces, but  I was clicking and dragging them into the text box :duh:.Thank you for info very helpful.  :thumb:

Mike

firedog

« Reply #2688 on: 10 Jul 2011, 08:18 am »
Anyone noticed that complete finished amps are being offered now on the ClassD site? No details of course.

I  emailed and asked for some detail. Will report back if/when I get an answer.

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #2689 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:35 am »
Anyone noticed that complete finished amps are being offered now on the ClassD site?

Just checked the site; They look like prototypes. I tried logging in but strangely my email id appears to have been removed from their database. Wonder why a company removes the details of their customer from their database. Even my review seems to have been deleted.

soundnoob

« Reply #2690 on: 10 Jul 2011, 01:48 pm »
What had you posted in your review Rajesh? Just wondering if they deleted it because you posted something negative?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2691 on: 10 Jul 2011, 01:54 pm »
Anyone noticed that complete finished amps are being offered now on the ClassD site? No details of course.

I  emailed and asked for some detail. Will report back if/when I get an answer.

As the first person to make cases for the Class D products, this is no surprise as I sent Tom one of mine...he has been planning this for a long time.

stefanovitch

« Reply #2692 on: 10 Jul 2011, 04:13 pm »
Class D is in my opinion only good for low frequency amplification.

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #2693 on: 10 Jul 2011, 05:50 pm »
What had you posted in your review Rajesh? Just wondering if they deleted it because you posted something negative?
Nothing negative, it was in fact a very positive review; the amp does sound very sweet in mids and has decent highs; it is only in the LF content that it suffers. I was told be some DIYers to wait for the amp to break-in to look for the missing lows which never came on.

My another grouse is that Mr. Tom didn't bother to reply me when I took up the issue. He didn't give me the tracking info even. Things improved only after a tough talk. It may be that you guys from US are lucky to be living where he lives and hence get prompt responses.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #2694 on: 10 Jul 2011, 07:47 pm »
Nothing negative, it was in fact a very positive review; the amp does sound very sweet in mids and has decent highs; it is only in the LF content that it suffers. I was told be some DIYers to wait for the amp to break-in to look for the missing lows which never came on.

From your pics in the gallery, it appears you are using the small power supply caps.  I understand that the power supply makes a very noticeable difference in the sonics of these amps.

From a review of the CDA-254...

I’ve always been intrigued that it seems bass is diminished when actually; it becomes "better" than it had been. A great test CD is still, Wasserman's Trios, the bass will awe and fascinate you.

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #2695 on: 11 Jul 2011, 01:12 am »
@Roymail, thank you that was helpful. If fact a couple of DIY friends did tell me about changing to bigger caps but I was wary since the PS was the one recommended by the manufacturer and being a non-technical person that I am. May be I should try out your suggestion.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2696 on: 11 Jul 2011, 01:52 pm »
I would also recommend a larger transformer.  I got the 1000VA tranny for my SDS258 as well as bigger caps/ rectifier and my bass is fantastic! 
 :thumb:

soundnoob

« Reply #2697 on: 11 Jul 2011, 02:05 pm »
Or ditch the PS and get a SMPS from Connex

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #2698 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:10 pm »
Brian Bell chipamp.com LM3886 gainclone or Class D Audio CDA-224...?

Some of you have experience with both amps, so I'd really like your input.  I haven't heard the Class D amps but have no doubt they are very good to say the least.  The one LM3886 I heard was also amazing, in fact I was stunned how good it sounded with beautiful mids and highs along with solid low end sonics.

I'm very tempted to assemble a Class D amp.  My only reservation is the 7K input impedance of the CDA series.  Using a SS preamp, should I be concerned?  :scratch:

Thoughts anyone?  Thanks!  :D

steve k

« Reply #2699 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:11 pm »
I think Tom will adjust the impedance if you ask him. As I recall he made some changes early on because of people complaining his original input impedance was too low.
steve