Looking for very sensitive 8 hour minimum audio recorder...

Steve

Looking for an audio recorder that will pick up very low spl audio, say a whisper in room, a light knock etc. Hopefully good for 8 hours. I would like either self contained play back or connect to computer for playback via usb.

Cheers and thanks.
Steve

ps. If in wrong forum, please post in correct forum. Thanks.

Mag

Re: Looking for very sensitive 8 hour minimum audio recorder...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2016, 10:38 pm »
I use a small portable digital recorder that can record 100 hours. It has noise cancellation so it does a good job of recording my dispatcher and not road noise. But I think maybe you want something that you can plug an external mic that's even more sensitive and better playback.

Have you tried a computer?

Steve

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2016, 10:48 pm »
I use a small portable digital recorder that can record 100 hours. It has noise cancellation so it does a good job of recording my dispatcher and not road noise. But I think maybe you want something that you can plug an external mic that's even more sensitive and better playback.

Have you tried a computer?
This is for a residence without a computer. Looking for a good brand but not a lot of money. It does not have to be high fidelity, could be mp3 or so. I can
bring device or card to my computer.

I have seen some components on Amazon etc, but don't know how sensitive they are to small signals such as a whisper or soft knock.

Cheers
Steve

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2016, 11:03 pm »
I have a cheap one Olympus which I think maybe out of business. The prolem isn't the recording but a chitty volume control.
 A more expensive digital recorder may have the features you need.

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2016, 02:19 pm »
Review of audio recorders: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-voice-recorder/

This one is recommended in the review and seems to meet your needs.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925994-REG/sony_icdux533blk_icdux533_digital_flash_voice.html

From an Amazon review:
It will even pick up a conversation in another room. It has nice sensitivity adjustments.

Steve

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2016, 05:00 pm »
Thank you Gents. I will be looking into your recommendations.

If more have suggestions, please feel free to post.

Cheers and thanks again.
Steve