Aragon 4004 Class A amplifier $499 shipped.

jackman

Aragon 4004 Class A amplifier $499 shipped.
« on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:01 pm »
I'm selling my Aragon 4004 Class A amplifier.  If you are looking for a powerhouse Class A amplifier, this is a reliable and great sounding amp.  This amp will drive pretty much any speaker.  The Class A sound of this amp is very tube-like with unbelievable gobs of power.  It was made in the USA by Mondial, prior to the Klipsch acquisition of Aragon. 

Will post pictures and I can ship to anywhere in the US. 

The amp is in flawless working condition but has a couple small imperfections in the finish which were there when I purchased it.  If you are looking for a museum piece, this is probably not the amp for you.  I have owned it for at least 6 years and it has performed flawlessly the whole time.  I was using it on the woofers of a 2 channel system but have tested it on my monitors and it works perfectly. 

I bought it from an amp tech who throughly checked out the amp and it works as well as the day I got it.  The amp is a heavy, 65 pound beast that delivers 400 watts per channel in a 4ohm load.  The design is completely dual-mono, and uses a pair of high quality transformers.  I can deliver locally (zipcode 60564), ship it anywhere in the US and would be happy to answer any questions.  I would also be happy to demonstrate the amp to anyone in the Chicago area. 

It does not have original box but I'll double box it and make sure it is safely packed with lots of padding.  Comes with original power cord. 

$499 shipped in the USA (continental) and I will cover Paypal fees. 

Here is some info on the amp (pictures are not my amp):

http://www.indyaudiolabs.com/aragon-4004.aspx

« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2011, 01:18 pm by jackman »

TONEPUB

Re: Aragon 4004 Class A amplifier $499
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:15 pm »
Had one back in the day.  Great amp, and this is a good deal.

jackman

Re: Aragon 4004 Class A amplifier $499
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2011, 03:54 pm »
Had one back in the day.  Great amp, and this is a good deal.

Thanks Tone.  I appreciate your comments.   :thumb:

jackman

Re: Aragon 4004 Class A amplifier $469 OBO
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2011, 07:39 pm »
Bump

Reduced…..................

jackman

Re: Aragon 4004 Class A amplifier $469 OBO
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:03 pm »
Going on Audiogon tomorrow.  If anyone is interested, please PM me.  This is a good sounding amp in perfect working condition.  It has a few scrapes and scratches on the sides but the front is nice.  I'll post more pictures if anyone wants a closer look.   

Heavy amp and I'd prefer a local pickup but will ship if necessary. 

jackman

Re: Aragon 4004 Class A amplifier $499 shipped.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2011, 01:18 pm »
Bump for new price that includes shipping.  I'll also deliver local for a reduced price.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2011, 04:39 pm »
I converted from stereo to pure analog Trinaural years ago (and would never choose to go back).  Anyone interested in 2-ch with low-to-medium sensitivity speakers should jump on this IMO.  I'm surprised it's not sold already.     

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2011, 05:01 pm »
Thanks James.  I was too lazy to put the amp on Agon.  It is very tube-like, but with way more power and drive than any tube amp I have tried.  If it doesn't sell at this price, I'll keep it. 

Picked up a compact pro amp for bass duties of my system so I have no home for this at the moment.  It's a big, heavy amp and doesn't fit in my cabinet or I would continue using it.  As a bass amp, this thing is overkill.  Bass is powerful and articulate.  Compared to my Coda/Legacy, the Aragon is warmer and "bigger" sounding.  The Coda is "punchy" but does not have the power and warmth of the Aragon.  This amp will drive any speakers with ease.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2011, 05:02 pm »
All;

Would it be a good match with Maggie 1.6, 1.7, or 3.7s?  High current?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2011, 05:12 pm »
All;

I've not heard this particular match/interface.  But I've heard 1.6 and 3.7 and the 4004 power dynamics many times (actually, I might have heard the 4004 power planars at a show).  The match seems perfect IMO: the planars are kind of "round" sounding and the amp is simultaneously punchy, warm, and very detailed, articulate, with superb extension both ends and good power and current.

The only thing I might prefer more powering the planars is the $10k/pr Linn Klimax Chakra monos.  Warning!  Never audition such a setup if you can not afford it!  Chakra really is an OTL with SS current.

Search "Aragon Magneplanar" and see what people think who owned/heard this match up. 

Full disclosure: almost absolutely the Aragon output transistors are long gone, but they've obviously been fine so far.  Also...anything this old, if the electrolytic caps are original, any and all are subject to sudden death after fifteen years of age (Sprague power supply caps the exception, known to last 30+ years).  The more "wet" the caps (in use) the longer they last, and this amp has a long history in use, in the buyer's favor.  It would cost probably more than the amp to replace the electrolytics....contact Indy for advice.

This is the pro-con of new vs. old.  I guess a new 200/400W amp of this sound quality starts at least $3k+.     

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2011, 05:26 pm »
All;

It's an extremely high current amp that doubles down power at lower impedance, and I'm certain it has sufficient power to drive drive Maggies well but I have never tried it with Magnepan speakers so I can't comment on specific sound.  The amp was designed by Dan D'Agostino who became famous for another company he founded, Krell.  If you are in Chicago, you can borrow it to test with your speakers.  Maybe someone who has tried the combination can comment. 

At this price, if you buy it and decide to sell, you will not lose any money.  Maggies are interesting speakers and I love them.  I brought my AVA Fetvalve 550 to a friend's system years ago to test with his Maggie 1.6's.  I thought his Coda amp was a better match for the Maggies than my AVA.  That was a really nice combination.  The Fetvalve sounded great with my Ellis speakers but the Coda was much better to my ears with the Maggies.  I didn't have the Aragon at the time. 

This is a fully dual mono amp, all the way back to the two transformers and has a very smooth, warm Class A sound.  It is very heavy and solidly constructed and functions perfectly. 

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2011, 05:36 pm »
I've not heard this particular match/interface.  But I've heard 1.6 and 3.7 and the 4004 power dynamics many times (actually, I might have heard the 4004 power planars at a show).  The match seems perfect IMO: the planars are kind of "round" sounding and the amp is simultaneously punchy, warm, and very detailed, articulate, with superb extension both ends and good power and current.

The only thing I might prefer more powering the planars is the $10k/pr Linn Klimax Chakra monos.  Warning!  Never audition such a setup if you can not afford it!  Chakra really is an OTL with SS current.

Search "Aragon Magneplanar" and see what people think who owned/heard this match up. 

Full disclosure: almost absolutely the Aragon output transistors are long gone, but they've obviously been fine so far.  Also...anything this old, if the electrolytic caps are original, any and all are subject to sudden death after fifteen years of age (Sprague power supply caps the exception, known to last 30+ years).  The more "wet" the caps (in use) the longer they last, and this amp has a long history in use, in the buyer's favor.  It would cost probably more than the amp to replace the electrolytics....contact Indy for advice.

This is the pro-con of new vs. old.  I guess a new 200/400W amp of this sound quality starts at least $3k+.     

James, that's an honest answer.   I believe the caps are Sprague and are in perfect working order.  It's good to hear Indy has taken over the brand and has replacement parts and service to keep these amps running for a long time.  The design is very stable and reliable and it has been in use in my system for years and sounds very good. 

Also, the interior layout is very open and logical.  It would not be hard to replace the power supply caps but it is not necessary. 

flintstone

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2011, 01:02 am »
" has a couple small imperfections "..............can you send me some pictures of these?..........how does the face look?

Thanks,

Dave

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:33 am »
" has a couple small imperfections "..............can you send me some pictures of these?..........how does the face look?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave, I'll send close up pictures tomorrow.  The face looks good and has no scratches, there are no scratches on the top or bottom, but the sides have some light surface scratches. It is black and the small scratches could be fixed with a Sharpee, but I'd rather leave them unfixed so they show up better in the pictures.  It has no dents and has never been dropped.  The light works and the on/off switch works fine. 

flintstone

« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2011, 03:01 am »
Hi Dave, I'll send close up pictures tomorrow.  The face looks good and has no scratches, there are no scratches on the top or bottom, but the sides have some light surface scratches. It is black and the small scratches could be fixed with a Sharpee, but I'd rather leave them unfixed so they show up better in the pictures.  It has no dents and has never been dropped.  The light works and the on/off switch works fine.

Ok, sounds great. I have an offer in on a 4004 mk-2 at Audiogon, but I doubt he will take it because I asked for free shipping and a lower price............I will know tomorrow on that one.

Thanks,

Dave

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2011, 04:34 pm »
Hi Guys, sorry for the delay.  I have received messages for pictures but have been traveling.  Pictures of the amp are in my gallery.  Thanks!

Jack

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=5908