SACD ripping using a PS3

weverb

Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #160 on: 16 Jul 2013, 03:49 pm »
New member here. I have been using ted_b's information on a de-embedder for a while now and have enjoyed it. I would like to go the next step up and be able to rip with a ps3. I have sourced a potential ps3 (60gb with 3.41) and plan to go check it out tomorrow night. I have an inverter in the car. Any suggestions on how to test it before purchasing?

As soon as I get enough posts I will contact ted_b for his packet of info.

Thanks

john greenwood

« Reply #161 on: 20 Jul 2013, 10:24 pm »
Nope, from here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

My Ripping guide (which includes all links to tools and complied software...you're welcome) are at the bottom  :)

or PM me and I'll send the PDF.

Hi Ted.  My PS3 (firmware 3.15) showed up on Friday.  Bear in mind I am an old geezer who has never even used a gaming machine before, so I must be led gently.  I used to code, but that was many moons ago.
I clicked on the link and saw the spreadsheet with your name but no guide.

Am I missing something?

john greenwood

« Reply #162 on: 28 Jul 2013, 03:56 pm »
Thanks to Ted_B, I have all of the files.  Now I am having PS3 troubles - YLOD.

I have discovered a pattern - if the machine has been off for a while, I can turn it on without a YLOD, but also no video through either the HDMI or AV cable.  After that, turning it off and on (either via the front or back) I get the YLOD, and I keep getting it until I leave it off for a while.  Before I give up entirely, I thought I would ask here if anyone has any suggestions.

ALarryR

« Reply #163 on: 31 Jul 2013, 12:20 pm »
Hi Ted, downloaded your SACD Ripping for PS3 Guide, fantastic work!  Noticed that the first link in the document for ISO2DSD yielded a Page Not Found Error.  Is there an updated link?  The other links in the document seem fine.
Thank you,

strat95

« Reply #164 on: 3 Aug 2013, 05:28 am »
Ted B.

Thank you for the guides but I am experiencing the same thing with the PDF guide linking the ISO2DSD page that ALarryR is.  Any chance of updating that link or being guided to a new link?

Thank you.

TV

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #165 on: 3 Aug 2013, 01:30 pm »
The ISO2DSD link is dead cuz I no longer do that.  I have found that some folks put it too deep into their folder structure (causing extraction problems cuz the path names of classical titles and tracks can get too long).  So Instead my new guide (soon) will simply have this step by step for it.  Here:

For Windows extraction:
Here is a simple primer (in case you don’t already have a root folder and Programs subfolder):

1) First make a new folder close to a root drive (so the naming path doesn’t get too long..sometimes the classical ones are ridiculous).  Call it anything, say, ISO2DSD. 
2) Then make a subfolder in it called Programs (capital “P”). 
3) Put the SACD-extract.exe (first link below, unzip) executable in the Programs subfolder. 

http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/downloads/detail?name=sacd_extract_0.3.7_WIN32.zip&can=2&q=

4) Put the bat files (link below, unzip) in the main folder.  One is for stereo extraction, one for multichannel

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3487125/Extract%20DST%20Stereo%20DSF%20Files.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Extract%20DST%20DSF%20Multichannel%20Files.zip

5) So then put any number of ISOs (rename the ISOs if their name is too long; something that will uniquely identify them but not too long) you want to extract in the main folder (the one with the bat, the one we hypothetically called ISO2DSD). 
6) Click on the bat file of your choice, and voila……and then each ISO will extract to DSF tracks, putting one album full of tracks in a folder each (20 ISOs, 20 new folders created).  When you do this again (for more ISOs) remove the already-extracted ISOs or they will get worked on again!  Each ISO can take 10 minutes or more (multichannel much longer), so once you have this down well do a shitload overnight.

Ted

thestewman

« Reply #166 on: 7 Aug 2013, 04:05 am »
Ted

Again you came up with the answers I needed in the post above
I just received a new SACD that I was looking forward to ripping and extracting the DSF files to load on my server and playback with my
Mytek Stereo 192 DAC. The SACD, The Philadelphia Orchestra, Christoph Eschenbach, conductor - Camille Saint-Saëns Symphony No. 3 Organ was causing the extractor to crash after the 3rd file was extracted.
The other bat files worked but skipped extracting half of the files. I did what you outlined and the suggested i the root file
and Problem Solved
Thanks again

Looking forward on seeing you post your full review on the Exasound EX28

Stew

ALarryR

« Reply #167 on: 23 Aug 2013, 08:58 pm »
I have been using Ted's guide to create ISO images from SACD's with no issues up until today.  I popped in an SACD David Bowie's Heathen the rip process started just fine but Created two files DAVID BOWIE - HEATHEN.iso.001 and DAVID BOWIE - HEATHEN.iso.002 the first file is 4,1800,000KB and the second is 1,423,138KB  However neither file appears to be a valid ISO image, will not open in Foobar or Poweriso.  Has anyone run across this issue?
Thanks,

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #168 on: 23 Aug 2013, 09:49 pm »
I have been using Ted's guide to create ISO images from SACD's with no issues up until today.  I popped in an SACD David Bowie's Heathen the rip process started just fine but Created two files DAVID BOWIE - HEATHEN.iso.001 and DAVID BOWIE - HEATHEN.iso.002 the first file is 4,1800,000KB and the second is 1,423,138KB  However neither file appears to be a valid ISO image, will not open in Foobar or Poweriso.  Has anyone run across this issue?
Thanks,

That is simply an ISO that is larger than 4GB (Fat32's limit), so the ripper splits it into two pieces.  Use HJSplit to combine them.  No big deal.
http://www.hjsplit.org/

this_is_vv

« Reply #169 on: 24 Aug 2013, 03:22 pm »
Will a PS3  with 3.55  version with some added mod will work for SACD ripping???

Phil A

« Reply #170 on: 24 Aug 2013, 04:59 pm »
Will a PS3  with 3.55  version with some added mod will work for SACD ripping???

1) you need an SACD capable PS3.  Ted has a list at the beginning of the thread of the models
2) you need to follow the instructions to make it able to rip
3) I am not sure what 'some added mod' means.  What was done?

Phil A

« Reply #171 on: 24 Aug 2013, 05:00 pm »

See reply number 2 by Ted for the SACD capable models.

Carl_J

« Reply #172 on: 25 Aug 2013, 06:53 pm »
Just installed everything this week to a good 3.55 PS3.  Gotten through one little issue at a time, such as going back to Best Buy to purchase a Sony game thingie, since the aftermarket one I had would not work in recovery mode.

Trying my first rip. It always seems to want to go into network ripping mode no matter how I answer the question.  In fact, the first time, it did not allow me to rip until I had connected it to Ethernet.  I managed somehow to start a rip to a thumb drive.  It is ripping as I write this with a cigar. 

I really do want to rip the ISO directly to my PC via the network, but now that the ISO2DSD link is dead, I cannot find the Extract ISO via Network.bat for the PC end.  I think I have all the other .bat files for extraction, per the above discussion. Thanks, Ted.  But, until I found this thread, I was lost for awhile.

So, where do I find the Network.bat?

ALarryR

« Reply #173 on: 26 Aug 2013, 06:37 pm »
Hi Ted, you had mentioned in one of your posts that you have been ripping DVD-Audio discs as well as SACD.  What software have you been using to create a backup of a DVD-Audio Disc? I have been using WinX-DVD which seems to create a good ISO Image.  However, when I use it to extract the audio tracks it seems to create a single AC3 file.  Would be interested in how you manage your DVD-Audio discs.
Thank you,
Larry

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #174 on: 26 Aug 2013, 06:41 pm »
Hi Ted, you had mentioned in one of your posts that you have been ripping DVD-Audio discs as well as SACD.  What software have you been using to create a backup of a DVD-Audio Disc? I have been using WinX-DVD which seems to create a good ISO Image.  However, when I use it to extract the audio tracks it seems to create a single AC3 file.  Would be interested in how you manage your DVD-Audio discs.
Thank you,
Larry

I have a thread from a few years ago that goes into it; I saved it as a sticky for this reason.
 http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69151.0

I also helped Chris Connaker write this one at Computer Audiophile
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/452-how-rip-dvd-audio-dvd-video-audio-and-hdad-discs/

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #175 on: 26 Aug 2013, 06:52 pm »
Carl, sacd_ripper version 0.36 will ask you up front if you want to do server mode (meaning network..I know stupid name), and answering "no" immediately puts you in the standard USB rip mode.  Do nothing (for 5 seconds) or answer "yes" and you are presented with the network daemon.  I don't do this route (my CECHB is older and non-wifi, and is 5 feet away from me anyway), but I have promised others I would get familiar with it.

The ISo2DSD link is dead cuz I now send out a simple primer to set it up on your own root drive (too many people took ISO2DSD.zip and put it deep in their folder setup).  I sent you the same one, Carl. 

The network bat is nothing more than this:
@Echo Off
$ sacd_extract -I -i192.168.1.10:2002

with the bolded ip address and port replaced by yours (displayed to you at ripper startup).

As per my guide, here are Mr Wicked's exact instructions for the network daemon, beginning about 2/3 of the way down
http://sacd-ripper.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/readme

NordicNorm

« Reply #176 on: 4 Sep 2013, 02:25 pm »
After much searching, I finally tracked down a PS3 on v.3.55! Whew!

But it doesn't come with a controller!?

So, having never owned a PS3 before, can I simply hook the PS3 up to my laptop and control it from there? Or is a controller required to navigate the menus?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #177 on: 4 Sep 2013, 02:31 pm »
After much searching, I finally tracked down a PS3 on v.3.55! Whew!

But it doesn't come with a controller!?

So, having never owned a PS3 before, can I simply hook the PS3 up to my laptop and control it from there? Or is a controller required to navigate the menus?

You need a controller.  Buy any ole one that is PS3 compatible.,  The menus are basic.

Also, don't know if I've sent you my ripping guide and links to the software, so you will have a PM here soon.
Ted

Androvox

« Reply #178 on: 25 Sep 2013, 03:25 am »
After a lot of EBay watching, I found an attractive PS3 on firmware <3.55. The only problem is that is on DEMO firmware. I've seen mixed comments about the capability of such PS3 to upgrade. Some say it's like any other machine after exiting the DEMO mode (by entering the unlocking code), some say they had issues upgrading? Any ideas about this DEMO PS3?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

DanielF

« Reply #179 on: 5 Oct 2013, 05:02 am »
Help with PlayStation 3 (SACD ripping) - take 3

Sorry Ted, I thought you were just referring me to this thread because you thought it contained an answer to my problem (which it doesn't, yet).  So let me try a third time to find a solution...

Thanks to Jody, Tyson and (especially) ted_b for their responses to my earlier post on this subject:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120232.msg1264417#msg1264417

My primary issue is not obtaining the latest SACD-ripper version (which ted_b has helped with), but fixing the problem with my PS3 that now causes a blank screen when I try to run SACD-ripper.

Now that I have a 'homogenous' set of OS, SACD-ripper and keys (thanks to ted_b), I plan to try the following, unless I hear better advice from someone here:
1. Format the PS3's HDD (there is no game-related stuff on it; only used for SACD ripping)
2. Do a 'reset to default'
3. Reconfigure network and other stuff cleared by that reset
4. Reinstall OtherOS++
5. Install the 'new' SACD-ripper.pkg with keys
6. Cross my fingers and hold my breath! :-)

Has anyone else struck this blank screen problem with a PS3 running CFW and SACD-ripper?

Regards, Daniel (Australia)