RMAF2015 Coverage Thread

mcanaday

Re: RMAF2015 Coverage Thread
« Reply #20 on: 9 Oct 2015, 01:36 am »
And Absolute Sound listed the VR 120 as one of the "most significant introductions" at RMAF.  Congratulations, Vinnie!!! 

Margot

Vinnie R.

« Reply #21 on: 9 Oct 2015, 01:43 am »
And Absolute Sound listed the VR 120 as one of the "most significant introductions" at RMAF.  Congratulations, Vinnie!!! 

Margot

Hi Margot,

Thanks for spotting this!

Here is the link:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2015-rmaf-show-report-solid-state-electronics-part-one/

Many thanks to Neil Gader for visiting our room at RMAF to listen to the LIO + VR120 combo!

The VR120 certainly had an awesome debut at RMAF and really made those new Harbeth 40.2's sing!  :singing:

Today I posted a webpage for the VR120: http://vinnierossi.com/vr120/

Thanks again!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #22 on: 9 Oct 2015, 03:00 pm »
DAR's John Darko reports on our room at RMAF - and not using the same ol' audiophile standards to listen  :green::
In fact, it was an Einstürzende Neubauten LP (experimental/industrial/noise)... and it only partially cleared the room!

Definitely a change in pace, and why not?  The 40.2s were brand new and needing of a "break-in" album, and fortunately
nothing broke.  And in all fairness, I asked for it!  :o

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/10/vinnie-rossis-vr120-brings-industrial-techno-to-rmaf-2015/

Quote from: John Darko
The sound at RMAF 2015? Authority without a hint of aggression. Keeping Einstürzende Neubauten & Perc’s wall of sound from collapsing under its own weight was Rossi’s new VR120

Thanks for visiting, John (from half way around the world, no less!).  Always fun to see you!

Vinnie

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 9 Oct 2015, 04:23 pm »
Vinnie,

How was the setup of those 40.2s in a room that size? Only time I have  heard 40.1s, they were overloading a room at a show...

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 9 Oct 2015, 04:24 pm »
Vinnie,

How was the setup of those 40.2s in a room that size? Only time I have  heard 40.1s, they were overloading a room at a show...
I"m not a Harbeth fan but they certainly sounded better than any other time I've heard 'em. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #25 on: 9 Oct 2015, 04:38 pm »
I"m not a Harbeth fan but they certainly sounded better than any other time I've heard 'em.

+1.

Best,
Anand.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #26 on: 9 Oct 2015, 05:06 pm »
Vinnie,

Hi roscoeiii,

But by pulling them out into the room and listening in the near field, they worked out quite well, as we eliminated some
reflection issues.

If we had room treatments on the wall behind the listening chairs, it think it would have been even better!  :duh:

Compared to the 40.1s, the 40.2s received a crossover change that is supposed to tighten up the bass so it is more
room-friendly, and raise the sensitivity by a couple of dB.

I own a pair of 40.1s and have them set up quite near field in a small-medium sized (Real Traps treated) room - and they sound superb and deliver a HUGE soundstage and image unbelievably well.  When I get a change I need to draw out a layout diagram to show
how I placed them.  I listen late, turn out the lights, and definitely get the YOU-ARE-THERE effect and draws me in and keeps me
staying up late - too late many times!

I found this link a while back, and I have mine set up not that much differently in terms of separation of the speakers and distance to my ears, but I have more space behind the speakers than this fellow:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?886-Near-Field-Listening-Acquired-Taste-or-Proper-Paradigm

It is relevant to note that Harbeths are actually designed for near field listening (e.g. studio consoles), and the integration
between the drivers is as good as I have ever heard.  As mentioned in the link above, you can have your head 2 feet from them
and still not hear the drivers acting separately - the coherency is striking!  I find this to be true of all their models, but it most impressive
(for me) with the 40.1 / 40.2 since they are a three-way design!

My experience tells me that the room is at least 50% of what you are hearing, so the more you take it out of the equation (room treatments, listening nearfield to "hear less" of the room, etc), the better the results.  It's well worth taking the time to play with the dial in!  Of course this is true with any speaker you use...

All the best

Vinnie

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 9 Oct 2015, 05:22 pm »

If we had room treatments on the wall behind the listening chairs, it think it would have been even better!  :duh:

My experience tells me that the room is at least 50% of what you are hearing, so the more you take it out of the equation (room treatments, listening nearfield to "hear less" of the room, etc), the better the results.  It's well worth taking the time to play with the dial in!  Of course this is true with any speaker you use...

All the best

Vinnie

That's the downside of the long wall setup, chairs too close to the back wall... it definitely causes some issues to have your head right next to the wall. I strongly prefer more direct vs reflected sound so I agree hearing less of the room is a good thing.  :thumb:

What's interesting is the strong preference for wide dispersion / 1st reflections, I think it's just conditioning and the lack of reflections sound weird to many until their brain adjusts and they recognize the improvements you get from reducing close reflections.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #28 on: 9 Oct 2015, 07:41 pm »
The coverage continues... this time from Brian of Audio-Head.com:

http://audio-head.com/vinnie-rossi-harbeth-and-the-vr120-rmaf-2015/

Thanks to Brian, who kept coming in because our room was very busy.  I'm glad
he didn't give up on us!

He's got a great looking site that's building momentum!

Vinnie

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2015, 11:29 am »
Hi Vinnie,

I just read this. The Aikido designer himself, John Broskie was very pleased with your system:

Why I Hate the Best Sound Awards
Meeting with friends after the show always ends up with the same question: What was the best sound at the show? Best for what? is what I immediately wonder. Best for jazz or rock or string quartets or punk or rap... Best for my mood or my budget or listening room... In addition, silver is often preferred over gold; and second best proves better than best. A better question might be: Which sound system would you most like to take home with you?

This question came to me after I had listened to over 15 minutes of Vinni Rossi's setup. The reason the question came to mind was that I already knew the answer, as I was listening to it. His battery and switched-mega-capacitor equipment sounded so quaffable, so pain-free, so pleasing that I didn't want it to end. This is rare, all too rare. Hi-Fi sound often dazzles and fatigues at the same time. The sound in Rossi's room was different. It was involving, inviting, and compelling. Vinni is certainly on to something important in his severed connection to the wall socket.

Best,
Anand.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2015, 04:40 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I just read this. The Aikido designer himself, John Broskie was very pleased with your system:

Best,
Anand.

Thanks for posting this, Anand!

And thanks to John Broskie for visiting and posting his impressions. 

TubeCAD Journal is very inspirational to me, and I'm sure many others!  http://www.tubecad.com/

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #31 on: 13 Oct 2015, 03:22 pm »
RMAF2015 coverage by Lee Scoggins of PartTimeAudiophile:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/10/13/harbeth-and-vinnie-rossi-a-capacity-for-fine-midrange/

Quote from: Lee Scoggins / Parttimeaudiophile

- Vinnie was playing some wonderful music over his well-regarded LIO, used as a preamp (with phono stage on board), driving the speakers with his new VR120 amplifier. What I heard: glorious. Everything was mating exceptionally with the Harbeths.

- This combination was one of my top five rooms at the show.

Vinnie is an extremely nice guy and I saw him go out of his way to play a lot of his visitor’s music. He really seemed to be having fun, and the rest of us were enjoying the effortless sound.

Thanks for visiting, and your kind words, Lee! 

I DEFINITELY was having fun and appreciate your coverage of our room.  :beer:

Vinnie

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #32 on: 1 Nov 2015, 03:11 pm »
Vinnie,

I just got the Lee Ritenour Rhythm Sessions CD and I was wondering what tracks were your favorites?

Thanks,
Anand.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #33 on: 2 Nov 2015, 09:03 pm »
Vinnie,

I just got the Lee Ritenour Rhythm Sessions CD and I was wondering what tracks were your favorites?

Thanks,
Anand.

Hi Anand,

I don't own this album - sorry I can't help.  But if I end up playing it on Tidal or Spotify, I'll let you know.

Best regards

Vinnie

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #34 on: 3 Nov 2015, 02:22 am »
Hi Anand,

I don't own this album - sorry I can't help.  But if I end up playing it on Tidal or Spotify, I'll let you know.

Best regards

Vinnie

That's funny, you were the one who showed me the CD at RMAF and told me what was playing at the time  :lol:

Best,
Anand.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #35 on: 3 Nov 2015, 02:29 am »
That's funny, you were the one who showed me the CD at RMAF and told me what was playing at the time  :lol:

Best,
Anand.

Ah hah! - then that was a CD of a show attendee.  I probably was holding the case from when he handed it over to me to
play a certain track, and I showed it to you when you asked.

If it were mine, I probably would know all the songs on it quite well.  My memory is very good when it comes to music, but
not so good when it comes to things like remembering to take out the garbage and other household chores!  :argue:   :sad:   :wink:

Vinnie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 3 Nov 2015, 03:47 am »
but
not so good when it comes to things like remembering to take out the garbage and other household chores!  :argue:   :sad:   ;)

Vinnie
Intersting.  I thought Alexis had you trained better.   :scratch:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #37 on: 4 Nov 2015, 04:26 pm »
Intersting.  I thought Alexis had you trained better.   :scratch:

:green: :whip:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #38 on: 2 Dec 2015, 05:27 pm »
It looks like Scot Hull and his team at Part Time Audiophile are finally wrapping up on their very extensive coverage of RMAF 2015.

I get email updates and woke up to this one:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/12/02/rmaf-2015-end-of-line-and-best-in-show/

BEST ROOM

Quote from: Scot Hull / PartTimeAudiophile.com
Vinnie Rossi‘s new amazingly customizable LIO system driving Harbeth‘s newest masterpiece, the big 40.2... produced a sound stage that was akin to stepping into a Star Trek transporter room. Such big speakers, playing ever so gracefully, and all in the near near-field. I was rocked back on my heels with the thought that this setup, this exact setup, I could have in my home — even in my wildly suboptimal “listening room”. That thought was breathtaking. I mean that literally. I was hyperventilating at the end of that demo.

MOST COVETED

Quote from: Scot Hull / PartTimeAudiophile.com
I am very tempted to finagle a way into a pair of Harbeth 40.2 loudspeakers. For me, that room was magical. Paired with the new Vinnie Rossi separates, I was gobsmacked, and several times in the weeks following, I’ve been tempted into doing something horribly rash.

THANK YOU, Scot Hull and your Part Time Audiophile Team for visiting our room at RMAF 2015 !!!   8)   :notworthy:   :thumb:

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #39 on: 4 Dec 2015, 04:22 pm »
And now it's Lee Scoggins' turn:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/12/04/rmaf-2015-lees-best/

Best of [RMAF] 2015: Vinnie Rossi LIO and Harbeth 40.2 Speakers

Quote from: Lee Scoggins / PartTimeAudiophile.com
But at the end of the day I’m still dreaming about the sound of the LIO/Harbeth system. Is there a better pair speaker for midrange than the Harbeth? I doubt it. Paired with the LIO the sound was spectacular. Seemless top to bottom. Open, clear…but with great bass and dynamics. The LIO is doing all the right things and seems like solid gear. Yet another visit to Denver demonstrates that you don’t have to spend crazy money to get reference sound.

THANK YOU, LEE!  :wave:   :dance:

Vinnie