Music Sharing again?

PJ

Music Sharing again?
« on: 5 Jan 2003, 09:01 am »
Is anyone interested in trying the music swapping thing we tried at HD, but it never took off again?

All we need is a bit of webspace to drop a few 10mb files.

As before, I would like to do the electronic music section...

cjr888

Re: Music Sharing again?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2003, 04:22 pm »
Interesting -- sometime in the last few days I caught a thread about music sharing, I think on one of the Headphone boards.  Essentially sounded like a box getting mailed around in a closed circle, and each new person would add items to it for the next to listen to, with the person eventually getting their stuff back.

Sounds like a nice thought.

As for the online thing -- just make sure you don't end up in copyright infringement land with this being a public forum...

I was actually going to start my own sign-up and box to be sent around, whether people added to it or not.  There's a handful of excellent local artists around me who I enjoy, and was going to send around some of their material.

Quote from: Marbles
Quote from: PJ
Is anyone interested in trying the music swapping thing we tried at HD, but it never took off again?

All we need is a bit of webspace to drop a few 10mb files.

As before, I would like to do the electronic music section...

A friend of yours from NZ was kind enough to send me 4 CD's.  All are artists that are from NZ.  Some was very good, all very interesting.  I have passed them on to Maxcast, and Maxxy will pass them on to someone else.

Maybe we should do something like that?

Ya, I'm interested in a music swap.

zachslc

Music Sharing again?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2003, 07:11 pm »
I am all for passing around local bands that don't get exposure otherwise.  I like the idea of actually mailing CDs (never had good luck with DLing and burning music, always find compression to be the fly in the chardonnay) and people adding locals to the lot.   I'll add a few, but I don't thnk I have enough to start it.

BTW, this way we would aslo be clear of copyright problems since what the person does when he receives the box of CDs is his own prerogative.

PJ

Music Sharing again?
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2003, 05:16 am »
I was talking about mp3's.

Shipping for me is prohibitive.

Seeing as all of us will end up buying the CD's anyway if we like them, I hardly see how the record companies could lose out...of course whether they would see it that way is another issue.

bob82274

Music Sharing again?
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2003, 05:24 am »
Well right now I don't have anything to host on. :(

One of the things that was suggested to me was to get small labels to allow us to share their stuff.  Mapleshade was one that had agreed to that.  

Another possibility would be to have the actual shipping of the box around and for any of those who are in a remote location (Perth) we can send them an mp3 version of that box.

tmd

Music Sharing again?
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2003, 02:27 pm »
I would love to get the chance to hear a selection of the music mentioned in various forums in all its .wav glory. Unfortunately, I would be another one where the shipping is fairly costly. If someone has the space somewhere, can we upload say one track from each CD and keep it in a private group? Maybe an FTP site with a password on it? I too am happy to buy the music if I like it. It would make it easier to audition it first though.