Re: Leonard Cohen dead
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2016, 05:35 am »
There ain't no cure for love.

RIP LC.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Leonard Cohen dead at 82
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2016, 06:13 am »
I was truly saddened by the news!  He was such a giant of an artist and lived such a fascinating life. RIP, Mr. Cohen!

gsm18439

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2016, 11:11 am »
I was fortunate to hear him twice in concert. Radio City Music Hall and MSG. Both were near-religious experiences - even within the cavernous MSG. If you read into the lyrics of his final album, he knew that he was dying. So sad. So wonderful. The tribute in the Chicago Tribune was the best.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2016, 05:07 pm »
Great canadian singer.
RIP

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2016, 07:12 pm »
Any recommendations for CDs?  I realized have nothing by him.

gsm18439

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2016, 07:29 pm »
His "Live in London" 2 CD set is a good place to start - perhaps supplemented by one of his recent three: "Popular Problems," "Old Ideas," and (especially) "You Want It Darker" that was released just one month ago

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2016, 08:04 pm »
I added Live in London and You Want it Darker to my Amazon cart.  I'll buy these with my next order.  Thanks for the recommendations.

martinr

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2016, 04:49 am »
Listening to Live in London now...saw him at Red Rocks a few years ago....another generational singer/songwriter passed...he seemed to truly appreciate his audience..

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2016, 08:00 am »
I'm Your Man is a great album - "Everybody Knows" is one of my favorite songs of his:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lin-a2lTelg

What I've heard of "You Want It Darker" is amazing, too, especially when you know the context.

rodge827

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2016, 01:28 pm »
I'm a paperhanger and last night I went to do an estimate. The home owner had LC playing on his whole house system. When I acknowledged who it was he said "I'm in mourning".  We talked about Cohen's career and the different tracks we liked for about 15 minuets before I got to the measurements and writing the estimate. Usually I'm all business but this time it was different. Two people who have never met conversing about an artist and the effect he had on our lives.

Thank you Leonard Cohen for leaving us your fantastic legacy!

Chris

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2016, 02:39 pm »
10 New Songs is my fav album.  I use a couple of cuts off it as reference tracks for gear testing.

He was an interesting character to be sure.

celebrat

« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2016, 03:36 pm »
Leonard has always been one of my all time favorites. I saw him once in Hamilton Ontario about 5 years ago. It was the beginning of his last 2 tours that brought him to London and that DVD.

https://www.facebook.com/leonardcohen/  Has a final interview coinciding with the release of "You Want It Darker" his last album with the help of his son.

Cohen's band with Sharon Robinson, Roscoe Beck, Bob Metzger with 3+ decades of playing together along with other virtuosos like the Webb Sister songbirds and Neil Larsen to name a few, perform his music as a true labor of love.

Most of his albums offer great opportunity for system evaluation - both the electric and spiritual varieties.

Goodbye Leonard. You are already missed 

amitm

Burson

• Restricted
  • Burson Audio Staff
    • Official website
« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2016, 02:40 pm »
may his soul RIP

Berto

« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2016, 04:18 pm »
Just heard his new track where he ominously sings "lord i'm ready", then a few days later he's gone. Very surreal. He will certainly be missed!