New vinyl: Ultra disc one step?

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
New vinyl: Ultra disc one step?
« on: 20 Aug 2016, 02:10 pm »
Haven't paid much attention to new vinyl pressing processes but I do like Abraxas and thought I'd search for a 'new' copy. Is the one-step process a tried-and-true process or is it 'new' and/or so much cosmic staple snake oil? Thoughts?

"Santana's iconic Abraxas, the debut release in Mobile Fidelity's exclusive UltraDisc One-Step (UD1S) series, reaches three-dimensional sonic and emotional heights never before attained by analog recordings on this extremely limited 180-gram 45RPM vinyl 2LP box set. Created in finite batches for the ultimate in sound quality, UD1S uses a one-step lacquer process that yields vinyl with the lowest-possible noise floor, exponentially greater details, and significantly enhanced dynamics. Exclusively limited to 2,500 copies, this ultra-hi-fi audiophile edition literally and figuratively brings you closer to the music of this 1970 masterpiece, which spent six weeks atop the charts and spawned the cosmic staple "Black Magic Woman."

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: New vinyl: Ultra disc one step?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2016, 12:09 am »
Seems intriguing but gonna be pricey at $80 I think for this title. But if you REALLY love that album and want it on vinyl, guess it makes sense.

GoldenVibrations

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2016, 02:15 am »
I have that Abraxas on pre-order from my local HiFi store. I love that album so I couldn't pass it up despite the cost. I have one other "one step" album...Neil Young's Greatest Hits mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering and it sounds fabulous!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2016, 02:38 am »
Reading up on it, it sounds like a DMM (direct metal master) with a 45 rpm pressing.  That in itself should be a high quality offering.  Apparently, MFSL remastered  Abraxas several years ago, as the original tapes were apparently noisy to begin with.  I assume engineers today can clean some of that up digitally.