BDP-2 Digital Player

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1580 on: 21 Aug 2016, 03:50 pm »
Yesterday i noticed my BDA3 AES/EBU input was red and my BDP2 was on (green light).  Feeling the case of the BDP2 i could tell it was off so i booted it and i started.  Does this mean it overheated and shut down?

More than likely it was a hydro interruption.

james

XMAN

« Reply #1581 on: 21 Aug 2016, 03:56 pm »
More than likely it was a hydro interruption.

james

Shouldn't there be a code for a power dip?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1582 on: 21 Aug 2016, 04:19 pm »
Shouldn't there be a code for a power dip?

Only if is relatively long - I find for instance when lighting hits close by and there is a short transient power interruption or serge I have to restart. A computer thing I think.

james

davidtgoh

« Reply #1583 on: 24 Aug 2016, 04:46 pm »
Chris,
I'm not sure you got my email.  I received the new CF card for my BDP-2 from Mike Powell, installed it, but still am getting Error 9.  Is there anything left to do except send it in for repairs?  If I need to do so, do I ship to 79 Coventry Street - Suite 5 address?  What would be the cost to install the newer AES card while I have it in the shop?  Do I need a work order number before I ship?
Thanks for all your help thus far.
David

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1584 on: 25 Aug 2016, 09:40 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player Award!

2016 EDITORS’ CHOICE AWARDS: MUSIC SERVERS  $1,000 - $5,000

Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player

The BDP-2 Digital Player is a technological tour de force that bridges generational divides: between the Old World CD player and the New World of high-resolution files and music-library management.

The BDP-2 performs the same function as a CD transport, but plays data files from removable USB storage media at their native resolution and in a multiplicity of file formats. Compared with the BDP-1, the BDP-2 incorporates the same digital audio circuitry, but incorporates a more powerful system board and a correspondingly heftier power supply. Processor speed and memory capacity are both increased. Connectivity is expanded to include an internal SATA connection, an eSATA port, two gigabit Ethernet ports, and six full-current USB 2.0 ports.

The Bryston BDP-2 doesn’t merely “sound better,” the experience of hearing music through it is qualitatively different. It plays music with unprecedented purity!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1585 on: 26 Aug 2016, 02:13 pm »
Is there a link to the TAS review of BDP-2?

:thumb:

Pundamilia

« Reply #1586 on: 26 Aug 2016, 08:39 pm »
Here is the link to the Editors' Choice: Music Servers $1,000-$5,000

<http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2016-editors-choice-awards-music-servers-1000-5000/>

Pundamilia

« Reply #1587 on: 26 Aug 2016, 08:43 pm »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1588 on: 26 Aug 2016, 09:45 pm »

Samurai7595

« Reply #1589 on: 4 Sep 2016, 04:51 pm »
My BDP-2 is no longer getting an IP address.  Nothing has changed in my setup.

I've rebooted by router & switch but still the same issue.  Next, I transferred the cable/connection from my BDP-2 to a laptop & the laptop got an IP address however my BDP-2 does not.

If I look at the front panel display, it tells me that both eth0 & eth1 are offline and the light on the Ethernet ports are red (I tried both ports).

Any ideas?

Samurai7595

« Reply #1590 on: 6 Sep 2016, 11:34 am »
My BDP-2 is no longer getting an IP address.  Nothing has changed in my setup.

I've rebooted by router & switch but still the same issue.  Next, I transferred the cable/connection from my BDP-2 to a laptop & the laptop got an IP address however my BDP-2 does not.

If I look at the front panel display, it tells me that both eth0 & eth1 are offline and the light on the Ethernet ports are red (I tried both ports).

Any ideas?

I figured out my issue last night.

For some strange reason, my router was trying to assign the same IP address (via DHCP) to three different devices including the BDP-2.  Therefore, I decided to assign a Static IP address to my BDP-2 device.  Once I did that, I powered on the BDP-2 device and all was functional again. 

It's the first time this has happened to me in over 2 years that I've owned the BDP-2.

Jhayman

• BDP-2/BDA-2/PSB Stratus Goldi/McCormack DNA-500
« Reply #1591 on: 20 Sep 2016, 09:51 pm »
Hi David, I'm probably late on this issue, but here it goes, I was having some error 9 issues and if I remember correctly, when you attach your hard drives to the BDP-2 it loads a little tiny file on your hard drive.
I deleted the tiny files and have not had a error 9 in a long time.
I think it's a boot loader the BDP-2 installs when you first attach drives to it, now I maybe wrong, but it worked for me.
Hope this helps, maybe someone else can chime in and explain better than I.

Chris,
I'm not sure you got my email.  I received the new CF card for my BDP-2 from Mike Powell, installed it, but still am getting Error 9.  Is there anything left to do except send it in for repairs?  If I need to do so, do I ship to 79 Coventry Street - Suite 5 address?  What would be the cost to install the newer AES card while I have it in the shop?  Do I need a work order number before I ship?
Thanks for all your help thus far.
David

RipTorn

« Reply #1592 on: 21 Sep 2016, 12:51 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player Award!

2016 EDITORS’ CHOICE AWARDS: MUSIC SERVERS  $1,000 - $5,000

Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player

The BDP-2 Digital Player is a technological tour de force that bridges generational divides: between the Old World CD player and the New World of high-resolution files and music-library management.

The BDP-2 performs the same function as a CD transport, but plays data files from removable USB storage media at their native resolution and in a multiplicity of file formats. Compared with the BDP-1, the BDP-2 incorporates the same digital audio circuitry, but incorporates a more powerful system board and a correspondingly heftier power supply. Processor speed and memory capacity are both increased. Connectivity is expanded to include an internal SATA connection, an eSATA port, two gigabit Ethernet ports, and six full-current USB 2.0 ports.

The Bryston BDP-2 doesn’t merely “sound better,” the experience of hearing music through it is qualitatively different. It plays music with unprecedented purity!

Congratulations James and company,. Just a note ,I don't know how much the BDP 2 contributes to the sonics however I recently added an .AC conditioner including new aftermarket AC cords to the BDP and my dac ,..All I can say right now is WOW ,.

Tympani

« Reply #1593 on: 21 Sep 2016, 05:44 pm »
I have also noted, if you want to hear what these Bryston Digital components are really capable of, upgrade the power cord and the fuses. And no need for esoterica to hear the improvement.

Jhayman

« Reply #1594 on: 21 Sep 2016, 06:14 pm »

Hello Tympani, which fuses do you recommend using?
I've already replaced most of my power cables with PS Audio..
I have also noted, if you want to hear what these Bryston Digital components are really capable of, upgrade the power cord and the fuses. And no need for esoterica to hear the improvement.

XMAN

« Reply #1595 on: 21 Sep 2016, 06:39 pm »
Hello Tympani, which fuses do you recommend using?
I've already replaced most of my power cables with PS Audio..
Agreed i replaced my BDA3 cable with a Voo Doo vector a much bigger difference than i expected.  Better sound stage depth cleaner all around and dead silent background.

zoom25

« Reply #1596 on: 21 Sep 2016, 08:54 pm »
Anything under $100 worth checking out that will make a difference. I use stock power cables on everything.

Tympani

« Reply #1597 on: 21 Sep 2016, 11:59 pm »
I use Synergistic Research Red Fuses. Ridiculous prices, but ultimately worth the upgrade. Fuller, 3-D presentation. Other brands offer similar improvements over stock, with subtle differences. And at least with the SR's, fuse orientation makes a real difference. But I suggest upgrading the power cords first, before any fuse tweaking.

Regarding Power Cords, yes I have "drunk the Koolaid" and admit I am using fairly extravagant cords (Hi-Diamond P4), but I swapped in some reasonably priced cords from DH Labs (Power Plus, $240 for 1.5 meter) that I use in a second system, and they offer a substantial sonic upgrade from the stock computer-grade power cords on the BDA-3 and BDP-2.

Zoom, although I have not tried them, I bet even the DH Labs Encore, at $120, would easily beat out the stock power cords. DH makes solid, well-designed, high value stuff. No affiliation of course.

zoom25

« Reply #1598 on: 22 Sep 2016, 12:49 am »
Thanks. Will look into those cables you mentioned. I never got around to power cables testing as I'm never at a point where I don't feel the need for another component rather than accessories.

Do you plug your gear directly into the wall or a regular strip/conditioner/power plant?

Jhayman

« Reply #1599 on: 22 Sep 2016, 12:55 am »

Thanks Tympani, I'm using Hidiamond H5 I think, also have some Nordost Red Dawn and Mit speaker cables.
I'll check out some audio fuses, I've never tried the stock power cords either, lol
I use Synergistic Research Red Fuses. Ridiculous prices, but ultimately worth the upgrade. Fuller, 3-D presentation. Other brands offer similar improvements over stock, with subtle differences. And at least with the SR's, fuse orientation makes a real difference. But I suggest upgrading the power cords first, before any fuse tweaking.

Regarding Power Cords, yes I have "drunk the Koolaid" and admit I am using fairly extravagant cords (Hi-Diamond P4), but I swapped in some reasonably priced cords from DH Labs (Power Plus, $240 for 1.5 meter) that I use in a second system, and they offer a substantial sonic upgrade from the stock computer-grade power cords on the BDA-3 and BDP-2.

Zoom, although I have not tried them, I bet even the DH Labs Encore, at $120, would easily beat out the stock power cords. DH makes solid, well-designed, high value stuff. No affiliation of course.