Something new that sounds incredible

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #300 on: 2 Sep 2014, 06:46 am »
It's gotta be an LGK Fouray, right?  That is a purposeful misspelling BTW.

Danny, any closer on the Fourtress testing?

ebag4

« Reply #301 on: 2 Sep 2014, 04:47 pm »
How about LGK Blade?

baniels

« Reply #302 on: 2 Sep 2014, 10:02 pm »
Guys,

Can I get a quick poll of how much interest there is in this? Maybe rather than clutter up the thread, just send me a PM.

Thanks

jparkhur

« Reply #303 on: 2 Sep 2014, 10:04 pm »
I would go with either

La Crosse

or

Wisconsin

ebag4

« Reply #304 on: 3 Sep 2014, 12:16 am »
LGK Quintet or Quintessential LGK
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2014, 04:50 pm by ebag4 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #305 on: 3 Sep 2014, 11:29 pm »
Danny, any closer on the Fourtress testing?

Worked on it. Found some issues. Set it aside, and went back to it today.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #306 on: 4 Sep 2014, 03:31 pm »
How about...

Wait for it...

LGK Wedgie!

Danny Richie

« Reply #307 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:32 pm »
The Wedgie! That's funny. And I like it.

And the longer full floor standing version with the nine LGK's below it would be the, Full Wedgie?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #308 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:55 pm »
Letting my imagination go here...beware!  Variations referring to size could be the fun part, a la

Mama and Papa

Major and Minor

Maxi and Mini (gotta say, the idea of a Maximum Wedgie makes me squirm a little)

Shorty and Tallboy

Abbreviated and Extended

I'm sure more will come, I'll digress for now

Danny Richie

« Reply #309 on: 5 Sep 2014, 01:52 am »
Here are some measurements. Keep in mind all of this is blown up on a 5db scale.

The frequency response from 300Hz to 16kHz is almost +/-1db all the way. A crossover in the 180Hz to 200Hz range looks good too. And yea they do average about 93.5db across the board. So you can drive them with just about anything.

And check out how smoothly these drivers roll off into each other. And this is just with a second order crossover.

Here is what's really cool and the number one sign of how clean these sound. Check out how clean and fast this spectral decay is. This is especially fast in the range below 2kHz. This is super rare to see a decay rate this clean and fast. There is a LOT to be said for light weight moving masses. These will crush later woofers for resolution.

The impedance looks great too. An easy load.

Now check this out. This is the vertical off axis response. This is very consistent. These are taken at one meter and each measurement is is taken after moving the mic up 4" per measurement. I rarely see speakers measure this smooth in the vertical off axis.

And the horizontal off axis looks great too. These are taken on axis, at 10, 20, 30, and 40 degrees off axis. Remember this is a 5db scale.

And since the baffle is asymmetrical it took these measurements going the other way too.

That wave guide on the tweeter worked great.

Now check this out for accuracy. These measurements were taken on axis and at 10 and 20 degrees off axis each way.  :green:

These things are so accurate in each direction that it is creepy. These things are going to freak people out.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #310 on: 5 Sep 2014, 02:55 am »
WOW!!!

I really can't wait to get a pair of these  :drool:  :hyper: :drool:

Mike

Early B.

« Reply #311 on: 5 Sep 2014, 03:03 am »
WOW!!!

I really can't wait to get a pair of these  :drool:  :hyper: :drool:

Yeah, and no DIY kit for me. Just build and ship it, please.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #312 on: 5 Sep 2014, 03:50 am »
Yeah, and no DIY kit for me. Just build and ship it, please.

Not a problem. I can build two pair at one time  :D

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #313 on: 5 Sep 2014, 03:51 am »
Danny,

Have you pushed these to see what type of SPL's they can put out and stay this clean?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #314 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:12 am »
Danny,

Have you pushed these to see what type of SPL's they can put out and stay this clean?

Mike

The measurements do llook great but I guess I'm  kind of wondering the same thing. Will these little guys  fill a decent sized room ?  For example, with my current speakers,   they produce quite the presence in a room, will  the  MMTMM  do similar with thosse little drivers ?   I haven't had  the chance to hear even a pair of the  LGK 1.0's so I guess I'm  just having a  tough time imagining how much sound   the little drivers can produce.

-jay

Early B.

« Reply #315 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:22 am »
The measurements do llook great but I guess I'm  kind of wondering the same thing. Will these little guys  fill a decent sized room ?  For example, with my current speakers,   they produce quite the presence in a room, will  the  MMTMM  do similar with thosse little drivers ?   I haven't had  the chance to hear even a pair of the  LGK 1.0's so I guess I'm  just having a  tough time imagining how much sound   the little drivers can produce.

I have the exact same question.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #316 on: 5 Sep 2014, 12:44 pm »
Captainhemo and EarlyB, I'm sure the full, floor standing, multiple driver version will fill your rooms.  I'm a fan of OBLA's - lots of drivers with individual cones moving very little distance in their "sweet" pistonic range, without going near cone surround distortion, but having a sufficient summed volume to produce plenty of dB.  Examples:  the Pipe Dreams of a few years ago and the (hate to mention the word) Bose columns of many small drivers meant for pro band monitors. 
Danny:  those are some mighty smoooooooth graphs!

Danny Richie

« Reply #317 on: 5 Sep 2014, 12:58 pm »
Guys, if you use an inline RCA filter to roll off the lows then these things will handle some pretty solid SPL's with no problem.

And keep in mind these things almost hit a 94db average output with just 1 watt.

If you do some simple math you can get some numbers.

For every time you double power you get 3 more db. So 2 watts hits 97. 4 watts hits 100. 8 watts hits 103. 16 watts hits 106. 32 watts hits 109. 

Each little woofer is just rated to handle 30 watts. So times 4 is 120 watts of power.

Now add a second speaker and add 6 more db.

Then as you double distance away from the speakers you loose 6db. So at 2 meters you go down 6db and at 4 meters you'd be down 12db. 4 meters is 13.12 feet.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #318 on: 5 Sep 2014, 01:04 pm »
Guys, if you use an inline RCA filter to roll off the lows then these things will handle some pretty solid SPL's with no problem.

And keep in mind these things almost hit a 94db average output with just 1 watt.

Now thats impressive.

I wanna try these with my First Watt F6

ebag4

« Reply #319 on: 5 Sep 2014, 01:33 pm »
Are we waiting for the MMTMMMMMMMMMMM to be ready before these are released or are orders being taken for these now?

Thanks,
Ed