Tekton OB Sigma Design--What?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Tekton OB Sigma Design--What?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Dec 2016, 07:35 pm »
I don't see why more manufacturers don't use the Servo OB solution that Danny and Rhythmik offer.  It's a simple/easy solution that gives tons of bass slam while keeping OB wave propagation.  Going from an OB upper section to any kind of sealed or boxed bass solution just makes no sense to me.

It isn't, and you could do the exact same thing with a servo ob sub. The rear driver is not adding to the output, it's taking away from it by destructively interfering with the back wave and thus forcing a cardioid response.

I also disagree about bass slam with OB, imo that's what it lacks most of all. Between lack of slam and inefficiency I just don't get it, but to each their own!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 2 Dec 2016, 11:03 pm »
It isn't, and you could do the exact same thing with a servo ob sub. The rear driver is not adding to the output, it's taking away from it by destructively interfering with the back wave and thus forcing a cardioid response.

I also disagree about bass slam with OB, imo that's what it lacks most of all. Between lack of slam and inefficiency I just don't get it, but to each their own!

Dave, I agree with you for every other OB sub system I've ever heard.  Except the Servo OB subs that Danny at GR Research has created.  It's better than any other OB system out there (that I've heard), and its better than any sealed box subwoofer I've ever heard too.  Punch, slam, depth, pitch, clarity, and a remarkably easy integration into real world rooms.  If you get a chance, you really should give it a listen - it's quite a remarkable achievement.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 2 Dec 2016, 11:12 pm »
Dave, I agree with you for every other OB sub system I've ever heard.  Except the Servo OB subs that Danny at GR Research has created.  It's better than any other OB system out there (that I've heard), and its better than any sealed box subwoofer I've ever heard too.  Punch, slam, depth, pitch, clarity, and a remarkably easy integration into real world rooms.  If you get a chance, you really should give it a listen - it's quite a remarkable achievement.

+1  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #23 on: 2 Dec 2016, 11:36 pm »
Big +2  :thumb: :thumb:

Best,
Ed

fidobite

« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2016, 03:42 am »
Hmmm...I have a pair.....they work rather well. For all of you bad mouthing Tekton without having ever listened to them properly set up....well...... :scratch:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 4 Dec 2016, 04:03 am »
Hmmm...I have a pair.....they work rather well. For all of you bad mouthing Tekton without having ever listened to them properly set up....well...... :scratch:

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I do make it my policy to never listen to any piece of audio equipment properly set up. 

fidobite

« Reply #26 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:41 am »
Interesting.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #27 on: 8 Oct 2020, 03:56 am »
I don't see why more manufacturers don't use the Servo OB solution that Danny and Rhythmik offer.

Rhythmik doesn't offer an OB product. They only supply the servo amps for GR. I talked with Rhythmik and asked why they didn't offer an OB. They said they get better results with enclosed speakers. And it obviously isn't due to cost. Their other products aren't inexpensive. I purchased a G25HP. I've been very impressed with the results.

And as far as Tekton is concerned, why do so many love to hate that company? It always seems they get thrown under the bus by folks that have never heard the product and are heralded by folks who have heard them and most even own them. If they were bad the owners would have sent them back on the 60 day trial. I just don't understand the bias.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #28 on: 8 Oct 2020, 05:58 am »
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I do make it my policy to never listen to any piece of audio equipment properly set up.

I believe this to be an amusing 4 year old typo on Tyson's part.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #29 on: 8 Oct 2020, 03:14 pm »
I believe this to be an amusing 4 year old typo on Tyson's part.

I thought it was a tongue firmly in cheek comment, that he tries to evaluate equipment when not set up properly.  :roll:

And as far as Tekton is concerned, why do so many love to hate that company? It always seems they get thrown under the bus by folks that have never heard the product and are heralded by folks who have heard them and most even own them. If they were bad the owners would have sent them back on the 60 day trial. I just don't understand the bias.

Kind of like this post:
To hear them is to love them; therefore if you don't like them, you have never heard them.  :duh:

Bullitt5094

« Reply #30 on: 8 Oct 2020, 03:46 pm »
Full disclosure. I am likely to be called a fanboy because I've owned the Tekton DIs and currently own Ulfberhts. I came to be an Eric fan when I read all the post early in the Tekton product line introduction. I was on the side of the doubters but kept realizing the fans were the folks that actually heard the systems. So I decided to trial the DIs vs my much loved B&W 804 Diamonds to prove how bad they were. To my amazement the DIs sounded better. My 804s were moved from the main system for duty in our family room as part of the 5.1 down there. I then kept talking to Eric because he was very interested in the 804 comparison. He targeted the 804 in the DIs development. Eric allowed me to return the DIs and upgrade to the Ulfs. Let's just say I've impressed more than a few folks with those.
I am now considering the Sigma as a change of pace to the Ulfs. I've always been curious about the OB "sound". I've DIYed a Nelson Pass Preamp Korg B1 and F5 Power Amp and intend to do a secondary system. Considering the Sigma for that. Thus my search for any info on the Sigma leading me to this old thread.

I guess the Tekton haters still get under my skin a bit. At least the ones I consider uninformed. I know they aren't for everyone though. Sorry if that first post was a bit of an overreaction.

Early B.

« Reply #31 on: 8 Oct 2020, 06:43 pm »
Rhythmik doesn't offer an OB product. They only supply the servo amps for GR. I talked with Rhythmik and asked why they didn't offer an OB. They said they get better results with enclosed speakers. And it obviously isn't due to cost.

Yep. And open baffle won't catch on because most people don't have the space for them. Aesthetically, OB can be a tough sell. For instance, the GR servo subs are DIY, and that's what they look like. The OB Sigma looks like it's made for industrial applications. Spatial Audio looks better, but not by much. OB designers should dispense with the flat boards and add some curves.   

Bullitt5094

« Reply #32 on: 8 Oct 2020, 07:14 pm »
Nobody can accuse any of Tekton's designs of being anything but industrial looking. Don't think Eric gives a hoot what it looks like as long as it performs. His is a cost/performance thing and fancy cabinets add to the cost and generally not to the performance. Not saying they aren't well built. But you need to be into basic boxes and paint with their products. He really doesn't even like to provide grills. I have them for my Ulfs and have had them on for a total of about 5 minutes. But that will change when the grand children get a bit more mobile!

NeilBlanchard

« Reply #33 on: 8 Oct 2020, 11:36 pm »
Very interesting indeed. The woofers do look to be sweet:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/seas-u22rex/p-sl-h1659-08-8-woven-poly-cone-woofer/

The moving mass of this driver is just 19.8 grams - that is pretty fabulous. And a free air resonance is 29Hz, is also impressive.

I have been wondering about the fact that open baffle systems need such large drivers - two 15" woofers? Two 18" drivers?! Holy moly - that's a lot of driver ...

My 8" LT1000 transmission line cabinets are solid into the low 30's. I installed the Dayton Audio RS225P-8A have 23.6 gram Mms and 31.6Hz free air resonance.

I don't see this model on the Tekton web site. Is it officially for sale? Edit: found them: https://www.tektondesign.com/ob-sigma.html

This appears to be the tweeter used in these speakers: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/seas-soft-dome-tweeters/seas-prestige-h1280-06-22tff-tweeter/

Bullitt5094

« Reply #34 on: 9 Oct 2020, 02:17 am »
I'd love to play with these too but I don't think he makes them anymore. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0809/tekton_design_ob45.htm

NeilBlanchard

« Reply #35 on: 9 Oct 2020, 12:58 pm »
Tekton has the OB Sigma on sale for $1750 / pair shipped. That's $1250 off!

RonN5

« Reply #36 on: 9 Oct 2020, 02:01 pm »
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Tekton website has shown the "sale" $1750 price for over a year...which leads me to believe that this is their new price....which makes sense in the scheme of all their other models and prices.

As you know, Terry London reviewed them for Home Theater Review.  He can be contacted over on Audiogon....he goes by teajay.  He has heard many of the Tekton models and owns a number of them and I'm pretty sure he will give honest feedback as to how they compare to other Tektons he has heard, other speakers he has heard and other open baffles he has heard.

If anyone contacts him....please post his response over here on AC so we can all see what he has to say.