Spatial Audio X1 Loudspeakers

mirekti

Re: Spatial Audio X1 Loudspeakers
« Reply #20 on: 14 Sep 2016, 10:00 pm »
Thank you for giving us more info on this.

Stay tuned.

Will you share it in this thread or we should check your site every now and then?  :? :|

Jannemann

« Reply #21 on: 24 Sep 2016, 10:35 pm »
I wonder if there will be an update option for M3/M4 owners. The compression driver of my M3 turbo S definitely is it's week spot when it comes to resolution.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 25 Sep 2016, 12:57 am »
I wonder if there will be an update option for M3/M4 owners. The compression driver of my M3 turbo S definitely is it's week spot when it comes to resolution.
You should look upstream then. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 25 Sep 2016, 10:35 am »

I don't believe there will be an upgrade, but Clayton will need to say that.

I wouldn't call resolution a weak spot of the M3 Turbo S speakers. 

Just curious, what speaker do you think has significantly better resolution?

George

mirekti

« Reply #24 on: 26 Sep 2016, 07:43 pm »
It seems the speaker will be revealed soon

Ric Schultz

« Reply #25 on: 27 Sep 2016, 07:28 pm »
A 1.4 inch exit (four inch Beryllium voice coil) compression driver firing through a large waveguide going down to 300HZ will simply be amazing.  The bass dynamics and drum sets will explode and pin you to the back wall.  The clarity will astound you.  The lower the frequency you go with a compression driver then the faster the whole speaker sounds.....and more coherent.....assuming great waveguide design.  Of course, you need state of the art crossover parts, damping, wiring and jacks......hopefully, we get it all here for around $10K.

The M3/M4 can be upgraded for better sound.  Clayton may do this later.  I suggested this to him:  Make a super external xover using the worlds best parts/wiring and hardwire the wires to the xover parts so that the only connector is the push on connector to the driver.  This way you can just remove the stock wires from the drivers and hook up the external xover and in 10 minutes have a way superior speaker.  You could go back to the stock xover/wiring anytime to see what the improvements are in time as the new xover burns in.  The xover parts and wiring are good in the stock speakers but nothing like what can be had for more money.  He is simply limited by the selling price.  The resistor on the tweeter and the coils and caps and wiring are all in the signal path.......replacing them with higher resolution parts will take the speaker to new levels of resolution and clarity and dynamics.  The stock wiring is inside the speaker frame.....this is not great nor is the fact that the stock xover is vibrating with the speaker.  By having a separate xover box that is damped off the floor and its wiring going straight to the drivers is optimal for best sound.  Another thing I suggested was to add constrained layer damping material to the back of the large stamped frame woofers.  He could precut pieces so that all you would have to do would be to peel off the backing and apply.  Cleaner bass, warmer sound, more natural sound and clearer upper midrange would result.

Of course, one could do this oneself.  You would need to remove the stock xover and measure all the xover parts and then make your own separate xover copying the design using better parts and wiring.  You could just start with the parts for the compression driver and bi-wire at first to ease into this.  Xover parts selection is an art.  All parts sound different and some expensive super parts will not necessarily be best for these drivers.  But, this could be a fun experiment for those inclined (perhaps no one......not very many tweaks out there).  Hopefully Clayton will do as I suggested and offer a super xover that he has tuned to sound perfecto with his speakers.  I would imagine the price of such xovers would have to be close to the original selling price......so basically doubling the speakers cost.....but still way under the $10K of these new babies.......and you could buy in cheap and then get the upgrade later when you had the money.  Will there be a turbo EXTREME?  I hope so.   

mirekti

« Reply #26 on: 27 Sep 2016, 07:59 pm »
..hopefully, we get it all here for around $10K.   

Everybody has his own price range. In my case $7,8k is already a pile of money to throw.
Of course, the M3 remains as a more affordable and reasonable option in case the price matches your predictions.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #27 on: 27 Sep 2016, 08:09 pm »
http://horns-diy.pl/en/horns/seos/seos-30/
good down to 300hz. Imagine this with a couple of high quality 15" woofers horizontal underneath and a beryllium CD. :o

[img]  http://horns-diy.pl/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/07/SEOS-30a.jpg[img]

Low WAF however. :(

Ric Schultz

« Reply #28 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:57 pm »
Clayton told me the waveguide was 15 inches.....hard to imagine it getting down to 300hz....but, we shall see.  I have a friend who just bought the 24 inch Seos waveguides and will be listening at the Radian factory Thursday to their Beryllium drivers....and will probably buy them and mount them on the 24 inch waveguide and use his modified Behringer crossover and actively biamp them.  Should be fun.  The drivers are $1200 each!!!!  24 inch waveguides don't have good WAF either.....but 30 inch!?!.....yikes.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #29 on: 28 Sep 2016, 04:37 pm »
Clayton told me the waveguide was 15 inches.....hard to imagine it getting down to 300hz....but, we shall see.  I have a friend who just bought the 24 inch Seos waveguides and will be listening at the Radian factory Thursday to their Beryllium drivers....and will probably buy them and mount them on the 24 inch waveguide and use his modified Behringer crossover and actively biamp them.  Should be fun.  The drivers are $1200 each!!!!  24 inch waveguides don't have good WAF either.....but 30 inch!?!.....yikes.
I built my current speakers using the SEOS 18/BA750/AE TD15M combo. Its interesting that the audiophile community has almost completely ignored these excellent waveguides which offer a very inexpensive route to high-end sound quality. Its ironical that the were developed by a group in the home theater community on the AVS forum.
BTW I crossover from the SEOS 18 to the TD15m @~670hz .

mirekti

« Reply #30 on: 29 Sep 2016, 12:16 am »
One can sneak peak at the X1 video on Spatial audio facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/spatialaudio/videos/942609902456516/

I was actually expecting something like JBL M2, but with two 15" drivers in open baffle instead of ported JBL design.  :(
Or somethnig like this

Let's wait and see what the final product is going to look like.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #31 on: 29 Sep 2016, 01:11 am »
I don't see a video for the X1 speaker.

There is a video from 2015 for the M1.

Am I missing it?

George

mirekti

« Reply #32 on: 29 Sep 2016, 01:20 am »
There is a video from 2015 for the M1.

You are not missing anything and I am obviously a bit crazy. Not sure how I missread it.
My appologies to everyone!!!

Ric Schultz

« Reply #33 on: 29 Sep 2016, 02:04 am »
Clayton told me a couple of months ago that it would be a 15 inch waveguide and an 18 inch woofer.  I did not want to say anything at the beginning of the thread because it might have changed or might not even ever come into reality.  At least we know its coming out and has a waveguide and Beryllium compression driver......what actual sizes the waveguide and woofer(s) ends up being we shall see.  A single 18 would have lower bass and also not be as tall as having two 15s.

mirekti

« Reply #34 on: 9 Oct 2016, 11:45 am »
Well, in his post above, Clayton wrote there would be an update coming soon so let's wait and see. :)

mirekti

« Reply #35 on: 10 Oct 2016, 01:56 pm »
You can expect a more futuristic design than the M-series!
The baffle in the current design phase is tilted backwards...

Have you had a chance to listen to them? :scratch:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 10 Oct 2016, 02:32 pm »
All I can say is I'm excited to see/hear the finished product.  I might just have to go to UT to hear them early. 

mirekti

« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2016, 03:24 pm »
...two more days!!!  :D

mirekti

« Reply #38 on: 22 Oct 2016, 08:01 am »
Here it goes http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146217.0

The most interesting part:
"Top Secret: Vinnie and I are now working on a diabolical plan to create an integrated LIO/X1 monster of titanic performance. Its game over for the old paradigm. "

How am I gonna fall asleep now?  :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #39 on: 3 Nov 2016, 04:21 pm »
All,

It is true that Clayton and I have been working on some very cool solutions (yes, there will be more than one!)
to be used with the Spatial Audio X1's.  8)

We hope to begin sharing this information with you all in about a week, so hang on... it's coming!

Updates will be coming (and I'll also post them on the Vinnie Rossi forum when it's time), and yes, Clayton will be
updating his website. 

I've very excited to be working with Clayton on this!  2017 is going to be another AWESOME year  :singing:

Vinnie