If you can build IKEA furniture, these will be a breeze. H Frame Flat Packs

HAL

• Industry Contributor
gab,
Thanks!  I will give them a call.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Waiting on the Speakon connectors to arrive to wire up the 12" drivers to the servo amps.

Once I have them, can start wiring up the driver in each module so that they can be disconnected if needed.  Will locate the socket at the rear corner of each H-Frame.  Each set of three 12" drivers will then be connected together to connect to the servo amps.  Using 14awg stranded wire for all the connections.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
The Speakon connectors arrived and wiring has begun. 

Going to reverse the wiring inside the Speakon jack attached to the H-Frame for the rear facing 12" drivers so that all the plug wiring is the same for sense and speaker coils.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
The Speakon connectors arrived and wiring has begun. 

Going to reverse the wiring inside the Speakon jack attached to the H-Frame for the rear facing 12" drivers so that all the plug wiring is the same for sense and speaker coils.

Way to go, Rich!

Almost there. :hyper:

Ruben

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Received the fiber reinforced plastic C clamps to use with the H-Frame modules.  Will put two of them on the rear of the 1x12" modules and use the two bolts to stabilize the setup.  This should work nicely.

Tomorrow starts the 14awg stranded wiring of the modules.  This will take a while!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
At least the 12's don't have to be soldered up like the 8's do. I lost count of how many times I burned myself trying to maneuver a soldering iron left handed (I'm right handed) in such a tight place. Once I thought about laying the cabinets on their sides so the connections were facing up rather than sideways things went a little smoother.

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
That is why I used fast on connectors on my 8" servo drivers. 

Works well on my U-Frame as long as you make sure the connections are tight.  It is a cold weld.

Captainhemo

When soldering up the 12's,   I just  laid the  cabinets over on their back/front on a pillow so  the terminals were facing up.
Dont install no rez on back side of driver until after soldering.... learned that during first H-frame build   :lol:
\
jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
The 12" drivers have spring terminals, not solder like the 8" drivers. 

That should make it a lot easier to wire.

Captainhemo

I wasn't overly impressed with the  spring connectors which is why   they are now soldered to the tabs

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Reconfigured the 1x12" H-Frames to work with the OB desktop speaker idea.  Still working on moving drivers and wiring to the Speakon connectors.

Have the first pair of balanced input ChipAmps built and working on the second set.

Phil A

Looks like a mad scientist's lab :green:  Good job

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Hey Rich,

Looks like fun! :thumb:

A couple years ago Danny asked me to build that 3 x 8" section as you have it built, but with that winged Neo section built in. Simple and functional. Well, I took it upon myself to add a little "flair" and heavily redesigned them. I asked if I could split the baffle extension in half and add the second half to the opposite side since the baffle would still be the same width overall. He said "sure".  So I divided the wing in to 2 parts and curved/bowed them. I think they look cool. However, if I were to rebuild them today I'd make the 8" baffle and the arch on the top of the Neo baffle a little differently.

Best,

Ruben

Here's the mock-up.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Ruben,
Looks cool!

I went with the 1/2 wing as Danny suggested.  They are to shield the back wave from the desktop monitor that would sit between them for monitoring purposes.

Should be fun with the 2x12" under them.

bdp24

I like the symmetry of this design a lot. Plus the flair and elegance of the H-frame!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Hey Rich,

A couple years ago Danny asked me to build that 3 x 8" section as you have it built, but with that winged Neo section built in. Simple and functional. Well, I took it upon myself to add a little "flair" and heavily redesigned them. I asked if I could split the baffle extension in half and add the second half to the opposite side since the baffle would still be the same width overall. He said "sure".  So I divided the wing in to 2 parts and curved/bowed them. I think they look cool. However, if I were to rebuild them today I'd make the 8" baffle and the arch on the top of the Neo baffle a little differently.

Best,

Ruben

Here's the mock-up.

HAWT!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Have two more 12" servo drivers on the way from Danny. 

Will hopefully get them next week and finish up the 2x12" subs.  Will set it up with the two HX300 servo amps with balanced inputs.

jparkhur

Hey Rich,

Best,

Ruben

Here's the mock-up.

Multiple drivers in different planes playing the same freq, phase issues?  The sub section

HAL

• Industry Contributor
At 300Hz the wavelength is 3.75 feet (45.0 inches). 

That looks like less than 1/4 wavelength (11.3") between them for cancellation effects.  There will be some loss of full line array summing.

Danny Richie

Multiple drivers in different planes playing the same freq, phase issues?  The sub section

Lets say the subs play all the way up to 160Hz. That wavelength is 7 feet long. So a 4" offset would be about 8 degrees of phase rotation. So it will have no effect.