Members Gallery, Pictures of Salk speakers in members homes

PMAT

Re: Members Gallery, Pictures of Salk speakers in members homes
« Reply #60 on: 25 Nov 2008, 06:17 pm »
Please keep the photos coming guys. We all love photos. The gallery portion of the Salk website used to show new speakers of the month and I wish it were active again. I'd like to see more speakers with stringers, perhaps wider ones as well.

justaudiomagic

• Just Audio Magic
« Reply #61 on: 2 Dec 2008, 10:06 pm »
Burled Walnut with a hand rubbed finish.

One word..... WOW !!  :drool:

PMAT

« Reply #62 on: 2 Dec 2008, 11:03 pm »
YOWZA! I love the asymmetrical veneer. Book matching is not for me. I really like those! Hard to photograph polished surfaces, I bet they are stunning in person. Keep em coming boys.

fishinbob

« Reply #63 on: 4 Dec 2008, 03:26 am »
Got my Songtowers the day after Thanksgiving and lovin' it :thumb:
Posted a few pics on AVS and thought I'd put some more here.

]

Many thanks to Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy and all of the "Salk family" for their input to my choice of loudspeakers.

Bob

PMAT

« Reply #64 on: 4 Dec 2008, 05:24 am »
Very nice choice of color Fishinbob. Looks great with your big-screen. Thanks for posting here. I tried to look around the corner of your pic at the assoc gear. I am a fishing fool as well. Born on a mountain and raised in a cave, fishin and HI-FI is all I crave.  aa

MaxCast

« Reply #65 on: 3 Jan 2009, 12:16 am »

funkmonkey

« Reply #66 on: 3 Jan 2009, 03:47 am »
Sweet!  :thumb:  Is that walnut burl?  I'd bet they sound fantastic in that room as well as looking great!
Cheers.

GloP

« Reply #67 on: 3 Jan 2009, 11:30 am »

And the sound is really amazing.

MaxCast

« Reply #68 on: 3 Jan 2009, 12:35 pm »
Sweet!  :thumb:  Is that walnut burl?  I'd bet they sound fantastic in that room as well as looking great!
Cheers.

If you're speaking to me, Mr. Monkey, thank you.  Jason's above are a Walnut Burl.  Mine are the ever popular Babinga.  I wanted a burly, cloudy, not waterfall with deep 3d grain depth.  Jim did a great job finding the veneer. 

evan1

« Reply #69 on: 3 Jan 2009, 04:48 pm »

And the sound is really amazing.

Sweet HT3's

funkmonkey

« Reply #70 on: 3 Jan 2009, 09:06 pm »
Cheers.

If you're speaking to me, Mr. Monkey, thank you.  Jason's above are a Walnut Burl.  Mine are the ever popular Babinga.  I wanted a burly, cloudy, not waterfall with deep 3d grain depth.  Jim did a great job finding the veneer. 

I was speaking to you, and your welcome.  I was hesitant to ask if they were Walnut, because the color is not typical for walnut, Babinga was my second guess but then the grain wasn't like any of the "waterfall" I have seen before.  But none of my bad guessing really matters, I agree with you that Jim did an excellent job finding the veneer!  Beautiful.

:drool: I'm not even going to venture a guess to what yours are GloP!  They are amazing as well, hopefully you will fill us in.  :thumb: 
Cheers,
-Greg

GloP

« Reply #71 on: 4 Jan 2009, 01:24 am »
Thanks evan1 and funkmonkey!
They are quilted maple with a really dark tint. I wanted nearly black speakers but with something to make the texture more interesting than just plain black. It looks great! According to Jim they should be the first pair with the new woofer and tweaked crossover too :).

Here is a b&w pic of what the texture is like, it very hard to photograph how they look because the flash has very penetrating light so this is just to give an idea:

funkmonkey

« Reply #72 on: 4 Jan 2009, 06:28 am »
Awesome!  I've got a few more days before mine arrive, and I am seriously digging yours.  Very understated and sleek!  :thumb:
Hopefully you will post your thoughts about listening to them somewhere.

sanlanman

« Reply #73 on: 4 Jan 2009, 07:08 pm »
Lots of Nice HT3 speakers are going places now that Jim has the drivers to finish them up. My V3s have arrived:

These speakers are suburb. I hear detail in music that I was not hearing before. They will play loud without distorting while being powered by the Cary Cinema 5 amp, and are also very balanced, clear and clean at low volume settings. I had Jim make some custom changes. First, you will see that the black baffle stops short similar to the Songtower instead of being full length like the other V3s. The cones under the plinths are custom black chrome ones instead of the usual ones supplied by Salk. As discussed before (and heckled by Dennis) the center channel is a smaller sealed version of the V Monster center channel, so it will fit our planned cabinet arrangement. I don't know what the low end performance loss is between my CC and the full VM, but I still have an HSU VTF3 sub for HT duty if I think its needed. I cut the VTF3 off when I set the V3s up and have not missed it yet, Even when I played the openning scenes from TOPGUN at -0- db on the Yamaha, (Had the wife yell "turn it down") I don't feel like anything is missing or distorted.

Jim, Chalk up another happy Salk Signature Sound customer.

fluke242

« Reply #74 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:33 pm »
Very nice, Sanlanman (and Salk Sound Team)!

I like the look you came up with, they look sharp! I have HT2's and also pulled the plug on my HSU VTF2 MK2 sub - the HSU could not keep up :thumb:

If you have a chance can you post a couple more pics?!  :D

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #75 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:30 pm »

I like the look you came up with, they look sharp! I have HT2's and also pulled the plug on my HSU VTF2 MK2 sub - the HSU could not keep up :thumb:

+1 on the looks. :drool:  Walnut?  Cherry?  More pics please?

The custom baffle is intriguing - similar to the ST?

Would love to hear them!

sanlanman

« Reply #76 on: 6 Jan 2009, 03:27 am »
Well, here is the photo of my speakers that Jim took before they were packed and shipped. I will try to take a few more photos and post them when I can.

sanlanman

« Reply #77 on: 6 Jan 2009, 03:54 pm »

+1 on the looks. :drool:  Walnut?  Cherry?  More pics please?

The custom baffle is intriguing - similar to the ST?

Would love to hear them!

Miney, the veneer is red oak, done in a golden honey tone finish. They match nicely with the red oak wood room trim and red oak furniture we have in that room.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #78 on: 6 Jan 2009, 04:58 pm »
How's that tiny center channel doing?

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #79 on: 7 Jan 2009, 03:50 am »

Miney, the veneer is red oak, done in a golden honey tone finish. They match nicely with the red oak wood room trim and red oak furniture we have in that room.

Exceptional - love the fine vertical grain.  And the baffles ...:thumb:.