RM30 Woofer Buzzing

garyc1

RM30 Woofer Buzzing
« on: 12 Dec 2014, 02:38 am »
The bottom woofer of my RM30C center speaker has started buzzing on some base music/speech.  I popped it out and see no obvious damage.  I am trying to diagnose and will swap and dig deeper.  My main question is to ask if there are any more 6-1/2" mega woofers to be had?  I now have the standard smooth woofers.  They are different than the waffled look of my RM30Ms. 

soarertoy

Re: RM30 Woofer Buzzing
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2014, 04:34 am »
Hi,
It might be a coil rubbing.  Try turning it through 180 degrees, so the bottom is now at the top.

DFaulds

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2014, 11:31 am »
Buzzing is most likely either a very small portion of either the surround or the spider becoming detached from the frame.  Check both very carefully, and re-glue if necessary.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2014, 10:51 pm »
The bottom woofer of my RM30C center speaker has started buzzing on some base music/speech.  I popped it out and see no obvious damage.  I am trying to diagnose and will swap and dig deeper.  My main question is to ask if there are any more 6-1/2" mega woofers to be had?  I now have the standard smooth woofers.  They are different than the waffled look of my RM30Ms.

Hi Gary,

I have one of the 40oz Magnet WCF 6.5" drivers left.

Please PM me if you can't remedy your affected driver.

DFaulds

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2014, 11:19 am »
We need a group buy of the 6.5" mega woofers from Misco.  I've tried contacting them in order to purchase 8 of them but they won't reply to my inquiries.  I'm sure that they're looking for a larger amount, so if there are enough people who would want to buy a pair or maybe four each so we could get a total order of maybe 40 of them I'm sure they'd be a little more interested.  From the sticky about VMPS drivers, this is the driver:

http://www.miscospeakers.com/speakers/LLC62W-8A

mjmessina

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2014, 08:38 pm »
I was unhappy with the bass of my RM30 and was considering to do a little experiment with these:
    http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc160-8-6-1-2-classic-woofer--295-305

very similar specs and would put you out about $60 to replace them.

ZAKski288

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2014, 08:49 pm »
We need a group buy of the 6.5" mega woofers from Misco. 

I might be interested in four.  ZAK

Brax

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2014, 04:48 am »
That Dayton has only about 1/2 the Xmax and 1/4 of the magnet strength of the Misco. I don't think it would be a good replacement, I think you would actually lose low bass output using the Dayton's vs the WCF. But the WCF's will cost you more, over twice as much.

GaryC1, my LRC has the WCF woofers in it and I am amazed at the output of these small drivers. I think if you can pick up a set of these you would be very happy with them.

I ordered 5 of the Misco drivers from them last year to replace the standard woofers in my RM30s (which I haven't done yet) and to replace one of the WCF drivers in my LRC.

I the WCF drivers were available at $100 each shipped, how many drivers would people want?

DFaulds

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2014, 11:30 am »
Is this the WCF that you got from Misco?

http://www.miscospeakers.com/speakers/LLC62W-8A

I have inquired about buying first 8 of them and then 12 and they have never even bothered to return my emails.  I also inquired with Madisound, who carries a few Misco drivers and they said Misco only filled plarge production runs.

BTW, if they want $100 for those drivers, then they are way over priced.  While a nice driver it doesn't compare very well to many of the other 6" - 7" drivers in the $100 range available from other sources that utilize low distortion motors and higher quality construction.  Of course, if you need replacements for your RM30's and don't have the tools and/or skills to re-engineer the crossover, then I guess $100 is pretty reasonable.

Brax

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2014, 02:09 pm »
Yes, that is the driver. I did look for alternative drivers when I bought mine and really didn't find anything that matched price/performance. which drivers are you speaking of.

The price I paid from Misco was $57 per driver plus tax and shipping ( I bought 5 ), they do not carry these in stock so it is a custom build with setup costs for them. I figure this brings the cost of the driver to my door to around $65-70 each. Then add a 3% Paypal fee and shipping to an Audio Circle  member and that price goes to $80-$85 my cost. The $100 price tag is to cover my costs and time to put a large group by together. If the buy was larger Misco could come back with a better price which would be reflected in the final price but at this point that's where it stands. I don't think the order would be more than 12 drivers or so, so I wouldn't expect a big price break.

I hesitated even saying anything because I really don't need another project right now and if one guy bails on the group buy I get screwed.

Brax

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2014, 02:32 pm »
If someone needs the standard woofers, I'll have 4 used ones soon, and one used WCF with a hole in the surround ( it has been working for over a year without the hole getting larger) they can have for REALLY cheap.

garyc1

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2014, 06:05 pm »
I would be in for two new WCFs, Brax.  John does have one WCF left but I am getting along since I removed the buzzer from my center.  I really would like to upgrade my two center woofers.  I may be interested in one of your cheap standard woofers as a stopgap. measure.

garyc1

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2015, 04:54 pm »
I decided to try again with Misco for a LLC62W-8A purchase and this time Tayma answered with information.  She said “The price is $84.43ea and the lead-time is 2-3weeks if raw materials are in stock to build the speaker, if not the lead-time is 12-14weeks.”  I have ordered 2 and with much back and forth about credit card info and a shipping account # (didn’t know what that was), I am now waiting for the drivers.  More later…..

DFaulds

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2015, 10:33 am »
So you called their main number and asked for Tayma?  Even though that price puts it in the range of the Peerless HDS drivers, I might buy a batch of them to use with my stash of Monsoon/Level 4 mid panels.

Stimpy

« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2015, 11:29 am »
to use with my stash of Monsoon/Level 4 mid panels.

Stash..!  You too?  Traded 2 sets away, and I think I still have about fourteen panels left.  I really want to do a RM-X variant clone, one day.  I have about everything I need , for a down-and-dirty version.  Just need a few more power tools, and improved wood working skills 1st!  Then, watch out!    :duh:

Also, I 'wonder' if it would be worthwhile to organize a group buy here, of various Misco woofers, prior to attempting more orders?  Create a list of what's needed, see if anyone will commit, and then try not to wear out Tayma's patience?   :oops:

ZAKski288

« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2015, 02:15 pm »
I'm interested in 4. LLC62W-8A .  ZAK
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2015, 05:18 pm by ZAKski288 »

DFaulds

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:15 am »
Stash..!  You too?  Traded 2 sets away, and I think I still have about fourteen panels left.  I really want to do a RM-X variant clone, one day.  I have about everything I need , for a down-and-dirty version.  Just need a few more power tools, and improved wood working skills 1st!  Then, watch out!    :duh:

Also, I 'wonder' if it would be worthwhile to organize a group buy here, of various Misco woofers, prior to attempting more orders?  Create a list of what's needed, see if anyone will commit, and then try not to wear out Tayma's patience?   :oops:

A group buy might drop the price a bit also. I might go as many as 8 of the LLC62W-8s.

I've got 16 neo panels, but I was thinking more of an RM50 clone since I don't think I could get the pivoting ribbon tweeter thing to work.  The LLC62W-8 could be used for the center and surrounds.

Brax

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2015, 11:21 am »
When I bought mine, there was a price break at 4 Drivers, it dropped to $57 each. I believe there was also one more price break but the number of drivers was pretty high to meet that.

garyc1

« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2015, 08:18 pm »
The price is higher than I like but since they never answered before I was worried that wouldn't get 2 replacements anywhere, so I ordered.  It would have been smarter to put together a group buy, but I wanted to jump on it to see if they would follow through.  Since they have taken my money, they probably will.  My request started with their online Product Request Form and further communications were with Tayma Kesselly <TKesselly@miscospeakers.com>.  Will let you know what I get.

DFaulds

« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2015, 10:08 am »
Yeah, I've inquired 3 times in the past using the product request form and kept increasing the quantity, but even after requesting pricing for 10 units they still didn't reply.  The $57 sounds much more reasonable for that driver than $80+.