Show Us Your Core-NCore!

this_is_vv

Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #380 on: 22 Mar 2013, 02:55 pm »
Bruno's strong recommendation is to twist the speaker wires together to reduce magnetic coupling from the umbilical.  You might want to pass the twisted speaker wires through a single hole out of the back plate of your chassis and then connect to your speaker terminals

how can  i twist all three together??..sorry didnt get it?

V

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #381 on: 22 Mar 2013, 03:01 pm »
how can  i twist all three together??

Twist them together as pairs. As in "twisted pair".

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #382 on: 22 Mar 2013, 04:57 pm »
All unshielded paired (or multi-conductor) cables should be twisted. Be they speaker, interconnect or power.  It may reduce interference problems.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #383 on: 30 Mar 2013, 04:27 pm »
Labor and material cost increase, but I think it good for Bruno to switch to Canare Star Quad for the input wire (twice the # of smaller AWG conductors for closer proximity/less noise).     

Jeff V.

« Reply #384 on: 31 Mar 2013, 02:30 am »
I built this pair of NCores about a year ago.  Recently a Friend & I have been working on some chassis ideas.  Here are some pics.

mr_bill

« Reply #385 on: 31 Mar 2013, 06:06 am »
That top plate is cool!

Jeff V.

« Reply #386 on: 31 Mar 2013, 11:46 am »
That top plate is cool!

Thanks! I wanted to add vents to the chassis & this is what we came with.  Going to make some more tops out of different materials & colors to see what else looks good.

HighRez

« Reply #387 on: 14 Apr 2013, 07:12 pm »
Hello,

Figured I would join the crowd and show off my recently finished build of the Hypex NCore amps. I decided to build 2 X Dual Mono amps. I have seemed to run into an issue with one of the NC400 modules which will most likely require an RMA replacement and annoyingly delay my plans on running a quad amp setup on my B&W's but at least I have one Dual Mono to keep me occupied for now.

So far, sound quality is very impressive on there NCore's. My previous amp was a Pass Labs X250 so I am using that as my point of reference for comparison and thus far the NCore's are holding their own nicely. I feel its too soon yet to say which one I think sounds better but the fact that I am not immediately missing the SQ I was accustom to while using the Pass amp certainly speaks volumes to the NCore's potential as they break-in.

Now onto the build process:

Sizing up the 3mm thick Teflon sheet inside the chassis which will live under the SMPS600's. I choose to add this layer of Teflon for a few different reasons. One was in case I wanted to "Unearth" the chassis. Second, was to added additional dampening between the chassis base and the SMPS600. The aluminum chassis had some ringing properties to it when rapped with a knuckle which I wanted to minimize. Don't want that propagating into the signal chain. Lastly, It should help eliminate any stray voltages to the chassis, if they exist, by way of the SMPS.

7 X stacked SS washers to maintain contact between the metal standoff foot and the chassis.

Seeing double! The build is progressing nicely

All wiring is complete. Much time and effort was taken to ensure both chassis's wiring is layed out and positioned in the same mannor as best as possible.

SMPS600's ready for action

NC400's ready for action. I used dual runs of 14ga Mogami 2921 to each binding post... :banghead: I will also be using short 2ft runs of Mogami 2921 from the back of the amp to each speaker's dual binding posts. This allows me to maintain the same gauge and wire type from wafer board to speaker. I'm in no rush to attempt to wire this up again anytime soon  :banghead: :cuss:

Furutech FT86F & Cardas Binding Posts. If I had to do this over again I think I would opt to not use the Furutech XLR's since their body is made of plastic and they were very difficult to get the cutouts correct for since they are not the standard shape. In addition, after inserting them into the holes the metal clips which are used to release the XLR cable seem to stay pressed in and require a long finger nail to pull them back out into their original starting position.

The Cardas posts are very sweet but again I question weather the effort involved in getting those holes correct was worth it or not. Ignoring the odd shaped holes, the concept of how they work was very slick allowing you to fully pack the inside posts with wire to achieve a very direct connection with the spades on the outside of the chassis. They are also extremely solid once mounted on the chassis.

Schurter DC11 - 15amp IEC Input with Power Switch

Chassis fully assembled with top cover in place. I designed the chassis myself using a CAD tool provided by the company who did the metal work. I can highly recommend them based on my experience during this build. See them here: http://www.protocase.com/

Another point of note if I had to do this again would be to place some cutouts above the NC400 modules as these seem to generate more heat then the SMPS600 do. I have been keeping an eye on the temps of the modules using my laser thermometer over the last day or so. With the chassis cover in place things seem to be fine even though there are no holes above the NC400 chamber.

Strategically placed "N" on each side the chassis to make it easier to tell what's going on inside. Plus it looks cool at night  :D
The wooden spoon is taking the place of my finger when powering on the chassis.. :lol: Haven't figured out the best way to test if it's live or not yet so the spoon will work for now.

Herbies stabilizer on top to minimize top cover vibrations & Cardas Myrtle wood blocks for feet.

Shot from back of the speaker where I plan to place each of the amplifiers. There will be one Dual-Mono amp per speaker with 1 x NC400 & 1 x SMPS600 powering each half of each channel. From here you can see the reasoning behind why I have the IEC power plug coming out of the other side of the chassis as it allows me to use short 2ft speaker cables like the owners who have a single mono build and also provides a straight shot from the IEC power cable into the dedicated wall outlets centrally located between both speakers.

The brains of the operation. I reluctantly had to replace my Ayre Preamp & QB9 DAC in order to run multiple Ncore amplifiers. So far, the Classe doesn't seem to be taking a back seat to the Ayre while allowing for a whole host of other added features.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #388 on: 14 Apr 2013, 07:17 pm »
Nice job!

HighRez

« Reply #389 on: 14 Apr 2013, 08:06 pm »
Thanks

Julf

« Reply #390 on: 14 Apr 2013, 08:19 pm »
So far, sound quality is very impressive on there NCore's. My previous amp was a Pass Labs X250 so I am using that as my point of reference for comparison and thus far the NCore's are holding their own nicely. I feel its too soon yet to say which one I think sounds better but the fact that I am not immediately missing the SQ I was accustom to while using the Pass amp certainly speaks volumes to the NCore's potential as they break-in.

They are both probably good enough that you wouldn't hear a difference. I haven't found anything in the ncores that would benefit from a break-in.

Sizing up the 3mm thick Teflon sheet inside the chassis which will live under the SMPS600's. I choose to add this layer of Teflon

The teflon will of course increase the thermal resistance and thus reduce cooling.

The aluminum chassis had some ringing properties to it when rapped with a knuckle which I wanted to minimize. Don't want that propagating into the signal chain.

Not sure about how that could possibly be propagated.

Lastly, It should help eliminate any stray voltages to the chassis, if they exist, by way of the SMPS.

The best way to deal with "stray voltages" is grounding. Isolation actually makes it worse.

Much time and effort was taken to ensure both chassis's wiring is layed out and positioned in the same mannor as best as possible.

So how do you define "best manner possible"?

I have been keeping an eye on the temps of the modules using my laser thermometer over the last day or so. With the chassis cover in place things seem to be fine even though there are no holes above the NC400 chamber.

So what temp do they run at?

The wooden spoon is taking the place of my finger when powering on the chassis.. :lol: Haven't figured out the best way to test if it's live or not yet so the spoon will work for now.

You haven't connected mains safety earth to the chassis?

Herbies stabilizer on top to minimize top cover vibrations & Cardas Myrtle wood blocks for feet.

Curious to hear why you think they would make any difference.

Bubbleboy76

« Reply #391 on: 14 Apr 2013, 09:24 pm »
Very nice build HighRez! Especially, I like your chassis with separate compartements for power-supplies and amplifiers.
One improvement could maybe be to twist the cable-umbillical (or what it is called) between smps600 and nc400. I think that was recommended in the datasheet.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #392 on: 14 Apr 2013, 09:52 pm »
Thanks for sharing the details of your build. Nice all around.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #393 on: 14 Apr 2013, 09:57 pm »
I also meant to ask you about the 20 amp outlet at the back of your room. I am specing a media room for a new house and wondering if you have any recommendations. I am planning on two 20 amp circuits for the space.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #394 on: 14 Apr 2013, 10:36 pm »
HiRez!

Nice build!

Best,

Anand.

HighRez

« Reply #395 on: 14 Apr 2013, 10:58 pm »
Thanks for the kind words and Thanks again to everyone else who has posted their own builds and experiences. All this information has been very valuable to me as I started down the path of my own build. Without all the information being shared from this community and I can say for sure that I would have never taken my first  plunge into the world of DIY audio.

Not sure about how that could possibly be propagated.

There seems to be enough discussion in audio land about vibrations being a bad thing in terms of electronic components to warrant taking extra steps to try and avoid it as much as possible. I don't find it too hard to imagine that a vibrating electronic component could cause some disturbance to a signals passing thru it verses one with less/no vibration. If the whole structure supporting an electronic component rings like a bell it can't be a good thing. I know I have read in the past about tube amps with vibrating tubes passing on this ringing sound upstream as audible output at the speaker.

So how do you define "best manner possible"?

Not sure there is really a need to define it, but i'll bite. In this case it was to ensure all wiring "came to rest" the same way across all the chassis's and maintained the same distance from other nearby components/wires across all chassis's. Considering my intended purpose with these amps I wanted to do my part in keeping them the same as much as possible to avoid any one amp sounding different then the other.    

So what temp do they run at?

Well it looks like the two windings wrapped in yellow plastic on each of the SMPS are the hot point there with temps reaching near 140deg at times with the laser beam pointing directly at them. On the NC400 I saw values in the 120deg range when pointing the beam at the  winding covered in black plastic just off to the right of the speaker post terminals.
You haven't connected mains safety earth to the chassis?

Yes mains is earthed. Being overly cautious I'm sure but couldn't find any good info on how to measure if a chassis is live or not.

Curious to hear why you think they would make any difference.

Not sure if it makes an audible difference or not but it sure stops the chassis from ringing when wrapping my knuckle on it while the Herbie device is in place. Without the Herbie device the ringing continues for up to 15 sec or more. The vents in the top have their benefits but they also seem to increase the ringing. The Cardas wood blocks are being used because they are cheap and I wanted something to keep the chassis elevated off its base.

HighRez

« Reply #396 on: 14 Apr 2013, 11:11 pm »
I also meant to ask you about the 20 amp outlet at the back of your room. I am specing a media room for a new house and wondering if you have any recommendations. I am planning on two 20 amp circuits for the space.

Hello,
In my room I have a total of X 4 dedicated 20amp circuits. The two plugs at the back of my room housed in the single mounting plate contain X 2 separate circuits. I am using the PS Audio Power Port AC receptacles in all cases and find them to be of high quality and they grip the power cables like nobodies business. All of the circuits in the room are wired with 10/2 Romex back to the breaker panel and are no more then 20ft long.

My room is still kind of under construction but I have the Preamp/DAC on one circuit and each of the Amps will have their own circuit. Probably overkill considering the measly 18ga wire inside the chassis feeding the NCore but I'm OK with overkill. :icon_twisted:

Julf

« Reply #397 on: 15 Apr 2013, 05:27 am »
Thank you for your answers!

There seems to be enough discussion in audio land about vibrations being a bad thing in terms of electronic components to warrant taking extra steps to try and avoid it as much as possible.

Fair enough, but while microphony (a component picking up sound and mechanical vibrations) is/was an issue with valves/tubes, it is not really an issue with modern surface-mounted semiconductor circuits - especially a relatively small circuit board bolted to a solid metal support structure, as with the nc400.

Well it looks like the two windings wrapped in yellow plastic on each of the SMPS are the hot point there with temps reaching near 140deg at times with the laser beam pointing directly at them. On the NC400 I saw values in the 120deg range when pointing the beam at the  winding covered in black plastic just off to the right of the speaker post terminals.

Sounds like pretty normal temperatures. I assume those temps are in F (if they are in C, there might be more concern).

Yes mains is earthed. Being overly cautious I'm sure but couldn't find any good info on how to measure if a chassis is live or not.

If chassis is connected to mains earth, the way to find out if the chassis is live or not is to see if your circuit breaker trips. If it is not connected, you can just measure the AC voltage between the chassis and mains safety earth.

Not sure if it makes an audible difference or not but it sure stops the chassis from ringing when wrapping my knuckle on it while the Herbie device is in place. Without the Herbie device the ringing continues for up to 15 sec or more. The vents in the top have their benefits but they also seem to increase the ringing. The Cardas wood blocks are being used because they are cheap and I wanted something to keep the chassis elevated off its base.

Sure - and they don't do any harm anyway.

Active-6way

« Reply #398 on: 3 May 2013, 08:48 pm »
Hi,

Just finished the first of my 3 channel amps.  Will build myself an second one for my active Avalon Compas clone. Speaker is an active system with an minidsp driving 2x3 channels (high,mid,low)

The  enclosure for an HTPC made completedly of aluminium. The enclosure is only 6 cm high and 43 cm wide, but i had to do some tweaking to get everything in, so the backplate isn't that great looking anymore.... I am very pleased with the result only thing is there is an blue led in the front, does anybody know how to connect it and to make it work. Only need the light and won't make use of the switch...

Sorry for picture quality took the shoots with my phone.

HighRez

« Reply #399 on: 11 May 2013, 11:18 pm »
Hello,

Figured I would join the crowd and show off my recently finished build of the Hypex NCore amps. I decided to build 2 X Dual Mono amps. I have seemed to run into an issue with one of the NC400 modules which will most likely require an RMA replacement and annoyingly delay my plans on running a quad amp setup on my B&W's but at least I have one Dual Mono to keep me occupied for now.

Providing an update with some listening impressions now that I received my faulty SMPS600 back from RMA. I am now able to run both Dual Mono amps for the first time.

Before I move onto the difference with X 2 Dual Mono amps I will talk briefly about how things sound with X 1 Dual Mono amp powering both channels of my B&W 803Di2.

I have been running on one Dual Mono Amp for a few weeks now and felt I had a good handle on the performance of these impressive amps. With one Dual Mono I started to form an opinion that the NCore is one very truthful amplifier. It took me several listening sessions to figure out what I was hearing as compared to my previous amplifier setup. In the past I could always hear difference between "OK" Redbook recordings and Higher-fi Redbook recordings but now these differences are far more obvious. The NCore quickly puts bad recordings in their place and their is no way for them hide anymore. On the other hand, great recordings sound even better with me now being able to pickup on layers of the soundstage that I never knew where there. This is a well used Cliché I know, but it is what it is!

Whether these differences are the result of what seems to be a total lack of background hum/hiss/garbage I don't know but I am now able to hear a much more detailed soundstage then before.

With the single Dual Mono NCore setup bass quantity seems to be slightly less then it was before while using my Pass Labs X250 but bass quality, speed and definition goes to the NCore setup. It makes me wonder if the additional quantity of bass that I was  hearing with the Pass has to do with that amp injecting its sonic signature and the Ncore taking a far more neutral role in making music. This is interesting to me because it looked like driver cone movement was more under control with the Pass Labs amp in the signal chain then it was with the NCore.

In terms of how the NCore behaved when I began to crank the volume up towards the other end of the dial I could tell the hungry B&W's where wanting a bit more then what the single Dual Mono could provide. Although at no time did the NCore lose control, break up or sound distorted I could see the drivers were doing more work then I was comfortable seeing.

Fast Forward to a few days ago:

After what seemed like eternity I was finally able to hookup my system as I had originally planned all along which is running 1 X Dual Mono NCore amp per speaker.

With the new arrangement any previous lack of power has now been fully rectified. The best way I can describe the difference in sound can be summed up in one word: EFFORTLESS

Compared to running one Dual Mono amp the soundstage is now bigger, even more detailed and bass is rock solid given the same volume input. Driver movement is all but none existent even at law enforcement dispatching levels. I love it!

Its been a fun ride building these amps and I am very happy how everything turned out. I can see myself sticking with this setup for quite a long time and feel that I would be hard pressed to find something better without shelling out the price of a new car to beat it.

If anyone is on the fence about building one of these amps I can say now that I don't think you will be disappointed and all the Hype is well deserved.

Here's a few glamour shots of the final state: