Wanted: Small Desktop Class D w/ USB DAC

BobM

Wanted: Small Desktop Class D w/ USB DAC
« on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:00 pm »
I'm looking for a small amp with an integrated DAC that I can use to power desktop monitors from my computer.

I was originally looking for self powered desktop monitors, but I have a pair of small AR's lying around, so why not use them. But I need an amp and DAC (preferably integrated) to power them. I probably need 25watts +, and class D is likely the best way to go for small size, efficiency and low cost.

I'm hoping to find something in the $100-200 range (probably used at these numbers). So much of what I see are headphone amps that won't have the power to drive real speakers. Of course I could just get a small desktop amp and a separate USB DAC, like the HifimeDIY one.

So, anyone got any ideas or links?

Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 04:50 pm by BobM »

Meicheng

Re: Wanted: Small Desktop Class D w/ USB DAC
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2014, 02:49 pm »
I have a Teac A-HO1 that might fit the bill.  Plenty of info on the unit at Amazon or Ebay.  Please email me directly at meicheng101@sbcglobal.net if interested.

BobM

Re: Wanted: Small Desktop Class D w/ USB DAC
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2014, 03:18 pm »
The SMSL SA-36 T-amp uses the RPA3118D2 chip, which is supposed to be the one that makes some music magic. It only puts out 30 watts *2, but that should be sufficient for a desktop setup, I would think. It's basically RCA audio in, and speakers out with a volume control. No headphone jack and no subwoofer out. What do you expect for about $50? I think the one with the upgraded 24V power supply would be best. Going to order this and see what happens.

It will also allow me to select whatever USB DAC I want, and HifimeDIY has a nice small SABRE USB DAC for about $60 that might be a great starting point. I have their SABRE Android DAC to use with my phone and like it a lot.

So this is the combo I've ordered. We will see how it all goes/sounds once the shipments arrive.