Funkmonkey's Custom HT3s + HTC

funkmonkey

Funkmonkey's Custom HT3s + HTC
« on: 12 Jan 2009, 10:13 am »
My HT3s and HTC finally arrived, just before the weekend. 

Veneer is a very unique Brazilian Rosewood taken from a tree that survived a fire at some point in it's life time, giving it the dark "charred" areas.  Jim thought that a guitar burst would look great with this veneer, and I agreed.  The finish is hand rubbed & high gloss.

I fell for the HT3s after auditioning just over 30 other speakers and documented my search over on AVS in my Speakerquest (So far...) thread, which inadvertently led to a thread over here on AC The $2000 challenge.  I did not come anywhere even remotely close to my original budget, but over the last year I have assembled a very nice system (at least in my eyes, and ears).  These HT3s and HTC are what drove me to put together the rest of the system.  If I didn't have to wait a couple of months to get them I would be trying to drive them with my old Onkyo 2 channel receiver.

Jim and company did an amazing job, and you really have to see these guys in person (and I know a few of you guys got to see them before I did  :green:).  It's been said many times before, but I will say it again:  The pictures really do not do them justice.  Excellent work Jim, they look and sound fantastic!!!!!

First up are the shots that Jim took, followed by a few that I snapped yesterday.  Room arrangement is still in flux.

I made the TV stand, and have since moved the TV up about 2" so it's not as crowded by the HTC.  I'll post some more pics at a later date, when everything is settled, but I thought you guys might enjoy these.  :D

Cheers, and thanks again Jim

-Greg

HerculePirate

Re: Funkmonkey's Custom HT3s + HTC
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2009, 11:19 am »
Hey Funk.

These are beautiful.
I didn't like some of the symmetrial patterns on some HT3.
These are random and they look CARVED out of a Tree.
Really Nice.
Another wish would be to have all Black drivers....May not be possible but these are awesome.
Great

Regards

HP

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2009, 11:22 am »
Wow, they look amazing :o Pull them out into the room and show them off! ;)  :D

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2009, 01:14 pm »
I find with Salk creations I have only two reactions.

1 - Wow, those are beautiful speakers, and I think the owner should be proud.
2 - GOOD LORD, those are amazing.  The owner should move them to the deck, or patio, so the neighbors can understand who has the coolest speakers around!

I think in this case, I am clearly experiencing #2, that starburst effect over the charred wood, with the deep gloss is just ridiculous!

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2009, 01:31 pm »
Hi Greg, congratulations you finally got them :thumb:
The veneer looks fantastic, now it's time to enjoy them.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2009, 01:55 pm »
Great looking veneer!

That is a different looking cabinet than I'm used to seeing for the HT3. 

Did Jim have to change the baffle step compensation?   Do they image as well as the standard HT3?

Is it cheaper?

Thanks

I had to do a double take, as I thought it was a V3 based on the "boxy" look. 

While the veneer is stunning, I really prefer the tapered body of the HT3's + the wood baffle.

Like Rob, I am also interested in how having a rectangular cabinet impacts the sound.

George

sanlanman

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2009, 01:59 pm »
Congrats on your speakers man. That veneer and woodwork is truly exotic and I really like the departure from the normal HT3 semi point top. You had Jim "grill" your speakers the same way he did my V3s. I like that look. Enjoy them for years to come.

PS, What are you driving the HT3s with?

rydenfan

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2009, 02:03 pm »
Beautiful buddy  :thumb:

Dennis has graphs to show the traditional box in comparison to the tapered look. Hopefully he will chime in.

martyo

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2009, 02:12 pm »
Beautiful speakers.  :thumb:

The HT3's reminded my wife of a coffin. Before we ended up buying Jim's HT3's, he and my wife got together and came up with a custom cabinet design. Jim simply said that he builds custom speakers and that he would build "our" custom speaker. Needless to say, by the end of the day, she decided she would work through her issues of the coffin because of the probable inability to find similiar veneer.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2009, 03:11 pm »
Beautiful buddy  :thumb:

Dennis has graphs to show the traditional box in comparison to the tapered look. Hopefully he will chime in.

ding dong.   Jim sent me a rectangular front baffle that I could screw onto my HT3 (needless to say, my htc doesn't have a hand-rubbed high gloss burnt tree veneer).  The different shape wouldn't affect the woofer's response or the lower end of the mid--the wave lenghts are just too long.  So no baffle step adjustments were needed.  But the larger area around the tweeter did affect the diffraction pattern  at about 3 khz.  Fortunately, I was able to fix that by just increasing one shunt resistor value slightly.  If Nuance reads this and wants to post the HT3 plot I sent him, that would be great.  There isn't any difference between the coffin and the rectangle response with the resistor adjustment. 

gthomas

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2009, 04:12 pm »
I love my Rosewood HT3, but those are the most beautiful speakers I have ever seen!!

Gene

Frisco

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2009, 05:18 pm »
funkmonkey ........Finally after all these months of waiting....been following your saga on AVS

I must say they are Gorgeous.......congrats and I also prefer this style rather than the coffin look  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2009, 05:20 pm »
Simply stunning funk  :drool:  Bet you wish there were more hours in the day for listening. Another amazing example of Jim & company's work.

Hope to get to see & hear them this fall at Lincoln, if I understood Mudslide correctly .  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2009, 05:43 pm »
The veneer + starburst = wow!   :drool:  That is stunning and the grills are a crime IMO. Don't cover that up! 

I actually prefer the look of this boxy version to the tapered HT3, but I am not a populist. 

fishinbob

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2009, 05:52 pm »
 :thumb: We've all been waiting for this post. Good to see everything arrived OK. They are truly gooooood lookin' loudspeakers.

Curious about the angle on the center. How far away will your primary listening postion be?

Airborn

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2009, 06:08 pm »
Wow!  Another masterpiece by Jim Salk.  Comparing his cabinet work to most other speaker manufacturers is like comparing an original painting to a print copy.  There is a depth and artistry to his work that sets it apart and far above most others.  I think my envy meter is pegged again. :green:
And that center channel!  It looks like it could blow you out of your seat! :drums:
Congratulations, enjoy. :beer:

funkmonkey

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2009, 06:50 pm »
Thanks guys-  The center channel angle was determined to aim it directly to seated ear height at 9ft.  I figured that that is my current position, and probably as close as I will ever be seated.  If my seating position changes I can simply shim the back of the HTC up to the proper angle.

My wife also felt like the standard HT3 "monkey coffin" shape was not something she could live with, so I asked Jim if he could build a rectangular version.  With a little help from Dennis on the crossover, the result is a speaker that I enjoy and that my wife will let into the house  :thumb:

-Greg

low.pfile

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:30 pm »
Thanks guys-  The center channel angle was determined to aim it directly to seated ear height at 9ft.  I figured that that is my current position, and probably as close as I will ever be seated.  If my seating position changes I can simply shim the back of the HTC up to the proper angle.

My wife also felt like the standard HT3 "monkey coffin" shape was not something she could live with, so I asked Jim if he could build a rectangular version.  With a little help from Dennis on the crossover, the result is a speaker that I enjoy and that my wife will let into the house  :thumb:

-Greg

Congrats on the new gear Greg. On the HT center does it have a natural angled front baffle, so that it is naturally angled upward? I do that with my devore center (via a book for now) too after having another center with an angle baffled. I am about 8ft away and center is fairly on the table.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:27 am »
funkmonkey:

Extraordinary, incredible, mind-blowing speakers. 

Biscuit

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:40 am »
Nicest ones I've seen yet.  I think I like the rectangular shape versus the other shape.  The grain is stunning.