Red Wine Audio RWA-Z1ES-3 Impressions.

Afterimage

Red Wine Audio RWA-Z1ES-3 Impressions.
« on: 6 Jun 2014, 07:53 pm »
I have had the level 3 mod back from Vinnie for about a week.  I was going to post my impressions, but what Vinnie posted here is spot on, I don't really have anything to add. 

"What I will say is that the RWA-Z1ES-3 is the best sounding source I have had the pleasure of listening to!  It is such a cliche, but I am really hearing hidden nuances,  details, spatial cues, etc. in the music for the first time.  And it's not just about getting amazing detail and resolution - there is seriously good tone with this mod, as well as great bass response, a huge sense of 3D space, and so much more.  The dual mono tube output stages deliver - big time!"

Basically the RWA-Z1ES leve 3 is a sensational sounding source.  I have had a lot of DAC/Server combo's in the past and this one is my favorite in sound quality and function.  For reference I have owned the Bryston combo, The Lampizator Big 6/mac book, modded Mac Mini/RWA Isabella DAC, Mac Mini/Tranquility DAC SE, Wyred4sound server Mytec DAC, PSA Perfect Wave II server/ DAC and some others.  To be fair I  know my system better now and may have it optimized better at this time to get the most of what the RWA-Z1ES Level 3.

smargo

Re: Red Wine Audio RWA-Z1ES-3 Impressions.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2014, 01:55 pm »
its so cool to hear that you really like the level 3 mod - it would be nice if you could update us every 3 weeks or every month to see that your enthusiasm has remained the same. when your really satisfied with the sound - all you can do is listen and enjoy music

to me thats very confronting - because im so used to tinkering and and obsessing about the equipment that i have - that sometimes i lose sight of the music that can give me great emotional joy.

I know how you feel though - since getting the level 1 mod my listening and my wanting to download more music is even greater now - that there is a machine that can sound really good with downloaded music (100% wirelessly for me - who would have thunk it even 6 months ago)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2014, 04:28 pm »
Hi AfterImage,

Basically the RWA-Z1ES leve 3 is a sensational sounding source.  I have had a lot of DAC/Server combo's in the past and this one is my favorite in sound quality and function.  For reference I have owned the Bryston combo, The Lampizator Big 6/mac book, modded Mac Mini/RWA Isabella DAC, Mac Mini/Tranquility DAC SE, Wyred4sound server Mytec DAC, PSA Perfect Wave II server/ DAC and some others.  To be fair I  know my system better now and may have it optimized better at this time to get the most of what the RWA-Z1ES Level 3.

Thanks for your post and providing your Level 3 impressions!  I'm really pleased to read that it has become your favorite source to date, and
I hope it continues to be for a long time.  :singing:

it would be nice if you could update us every 3 weeks or every month to see that your enthusiasm has remained the same. when your really satisfied with the sound - all you can do is listen and enjoy music

+1 Smargo!  This will be helpful to me as well, because my goal with the RWA-Z1ES-3 is to make is a source that one can enjoy for the long term, and one that will hang in there with some of the best (and more costly) solutions.  I'm very proud of it, and enjoy listening to it every day.
It keeps me glued to my seat and playing all types of music at all different file types (DSD, 24/194, Redbook, Internet Radio, etc) and I don't have to think about software, computer optimizations, etc.  I just relax, listen, and enjoy and I hope this is what happens for all my customers who go this route.

to me thats very confronting - because im so used to tinkering and and obsessing about the equipment that i have - that sometimes i lose sight of the music that can give me great emotional joy.

That's just it!  The only tinkering that I've been doing with it, once is a while, is trying a different set of tubes.  Right now, its those E88CC Telefunken's that Upscale Audio got a new-in-box stash of.  LOVE 'EM in this player!!!

And I'll be downloading more music this weekend, too.  :hyper:

Thanks again for all your posts and interest here!

Have a good weekend,

Vinnie

Afterimage

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2014, 07:21 pm »

I don't have to think about software, computer optimizations, etc.  I just relax, listen, and enjoy and I hope this is what happens for all my customers who go this route.

That's just it!  The only tinkering that I've been doing with it, once is a while, is trying a different set of tubes.  Right now, its those E88CC Telefunken's that Upscale Audio got a new-in-box stash of.  LOVE 'EM in this player!!!

Vinnie

That is one of the things I like about the Sony, don't have to mess with all the side show stuff with the computers. 
oooh, and nice tip on some tubes to try.  Can you briefly describe the sound of these tubes?

bmoura

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2014, 07:19 am »
I have had the level 3 mod back from Vinnie for about a week.  I was going to post my impressions, but what Vinnie posted here is spot on, I don't really have anything to add. 

"What I will say is that the RWA-Z1ES-3 is the best sounding source I have had the pleasure of listening to!  It is such a cliche, but I am really hearing hidden nuances,  details, spatial cues, etc. in the music for the first time.  And it's not just about getting amazing detail and resolution - there is seriously good tone with this mod, as well as great bass response, a huge sense of 3D space, and so much more.  The dual mono tube output stages deliver - big time!"

Better than the Lampizator Big 6?   Impressive.   

Afterimage

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2014, 12:18 pm »
Better than the Lampizator Big 6?   Impressive.

I didn't say that.  Based on how I had the Big 6 set up compared to the RWA Level 3 mod, with the rest of my system optimized, yes it is better.   I had sold the Lamp. Big 6 by the time I got the Sony Level 3 in house.  So I didn't do a side by side comparison.  Context is important here.  When comparing the Sony's sound in whatever form, modded or not, with stand alone DACs, you have to include what was feeding that stand alone DAC too.  Keep in mind I was feeding the Lamp Big 6 music from a Macbook Pro via a USB cord, I didn't have a top notch server feeding it.  I'm sure it would have scaled up if that was the case.    So in the context of system setup and system optimization/ease use, yes I think the RWA Level 3 is better.  The Big 6 was huge, didn't even fit in my rack and to optimize it for better sound, I would have had to buy another box (server).  Had I had a an awesome server, who knows maybe the Big 6.  At this point I don't care, I'm enjoying the heck out the sound of the RWA Level 3, and I get everything in ONE BOX. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2014, 03:47 pm »
At this point I don't care, I'm enjoying the heck out the sound of the RWA Level 3, and I get everything in ONE BOX.

Have you tried ABC Lounge Radio on the internet radio yet?

smargo

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2014, 04:19 pm »

i listen to it every day for about 2 hours while im working - i know its only 128 kbps - but it sounds really good through the sony

thanks for turning me on to it!

Afterimage

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2014, 07:33 pm »

No, not yet.  I will eventually.   I have just been to busy going through my library because I'm curious how all the recordings that I know well sound played back through the RWA Z1ES-3.

bmoura

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2014, 06:03 am »
I'm enjoying the heck out the sound of the RWA Level 3, and I get everything in ONE BOX.

That is a big part of the appeal of the Sony.  No server, USB cable, etc. required.  I have a feeling we will be seeing more Hi Resolution Music servers inspired by the Sony in the near future.
For now, it's tough to beat - even in stock form.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2014, 07:29 pm »
That is one of the things I like about the Sony, don't have to mess with all the side show stuff with the computers. 
oooh, and nice tip on some tubes to try.  Can you briefly describe the sound of these tubes?

Hi Afterimage,

In the RWA-Z1ES-3, those Telefunkens have just the right amount of detail, sweetness, and punch.  I haven't yet tried a few of my
other favorites in there yet (I've just been diggin' the music too much to even want to), but I'd say you can't go wrong with the Telefunkens!

That is a big part of the appeal of the Sony.  No server, USB cable, etc. required.  I have a feeling we will be seeing more Hi Resolution Music servers inspired by the Sony in the near future.
For now, it's tough to beat - even in stock form.

Hi bmoura,

Yes, and the cool part is that this "less = more" approach is mostly likely the reason why it also sounds so good.  :eyebrows:
There is NO conversion from USB to I2S, or SPDIF, or whatever.  The data is read off the drive, processed by a dedicated FPGA, and send directly to the dac chips.  The data doesn't have to travel far, get converted to USB, travel over a USB cable, and then converted back to I2S, etc.

Do you have a Z1ES (sorry for forgetting if you already mentioned it)? ...

Vinnie

bmoura

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2014, 12:24 am »

Hi bmoura,

Yes, and the cool part is that this "less = more" approach is mostly likely the reason why it also sounds so good.  :eyebrows:
There is NO conversion from USB to I2S, or SPDIF, or whatever.  The data is read off the drive, processed by a dedicated FPGA, and send directly to the dac chips.  The data doesn't have to travel far, get converted to USB, travel over a USB cable, and then converted back to I2S, etc.

Do you have a Z1ES (sorry for forgetting if you already mentioned it)? ...

Vinnie

Yes, and I need to fill out the paperwork and start the process for the RWA-Z1ES-3 upgrade - with the Headphone Option, keeping Balanced and Unbalanced Outputs and adding the Volume Control.  :)